Banff / Jasper National Parks, Canadia

5,237 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by magnoliaag
flashplayer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any recs for 4 full days to spend there in late May/ early June with kids ages 3-7?

Any hikes would have to be on the brief and easy side for the kids sake. Any suggestions welcome and appreciated.
hds
AG
I will be there with parents and kid starting June 3 for a week before getting on a cruise to Alaska!

I am just looking forward to enjoying the area! Maybe someone will give some suggestions soon.
ThatsBullCrap
We went to Banff a few years ago and loved it!
Check out www.banfftours.com
We did the wildlife tour and still talk about how much fun it was. We even saw bears crossing the road in front of us that we were able to sit and watch for a little while.
The other tour we did was the Lake Louise sightseeing tour and it was beautiful.
We also rode up the Banff Sightseeing Gondola to the top of Sulphur Mountain and it was breathtaking.

Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose.
rather be fishing
AG
Jasper is awesome but very small. There's places to stay, but you could be late to the reservation game.
Orozco05
We will be there June 6-11.
It will be our first time to the area. No kids.
I know we will be doing few small hikes around Lake Moraine & Louise (Teahouse)
Going to do the gondolas at some point. Could be something the kids might enjoy.
cmow14
AG
My fianc and I are getting married in banff on June 2nd. I highly recommend eating at the park distillery and getting pizza at Bear street tavern. If lake moraine is open, I also would suggest a short hike there. It is even more beautiful than lake Louise.
cmow14
AG
If you enjoy bourbon, get a drink at the park that has "smoke" in the name, sorry I can't remember the exact name. Also, get the smore for dessert if you like chocolate , I don't particularly like s'mores much but loved this one enough to use it as my grooms cake.

At Bear street tavern, dip your pizza in the honey chili sauce they suggest
Orozco05
Sweet. I plan on adding this to our stay.
nosoupforyou
AG
Orozco05 said:

We will be there June 6-11.
It will be our first time to the area. No kids.
I know we will be doing few small hikes around Lake Moraine & Louise (Teahouse)
Going to do the gondolas at some point. Could be something the kids might enjoy.
Hike to Lake Annette - it's on the road to Moraine Lake (BEST PHOTOS EVER!) - Annette is a 2 hour hike to get there and you will see 10 people at most on way there and back - it's a hidden gem - loved it
nosoupforyou
AG
flashplayer said:

Any recs for 4 full days to spend there in late May/ early June with kids ages 3-7?

Any hikes would have to be on the brief and easy side for the kids sake. Any suggestions welcome and appreciated.
somebody mentioned the tours - here's the link to a great setup we did

Brewster Sightseeing Tours

I would recommend the Banff Gondola for sure - once you get to the top there are great views and a short hike to a really cool platform with better views - lots of ground squirrels on the way too - kids especially will love this

Moraine Lake is the best lake/view in town - make sure you try to go when it's sunny - don't miss this! short hike to the top where the views are

Emerald Lake is so nice and serene - consider getting a canoe - no hike to get to it

Peyto Lake is stunning! Look it up on Google Images - then go take that exact photo - just wow... short hike to get there

it's probably going to be cold so bundle up
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
The gondola is awesome!! It is at the end of the road by RimRock Hotel (where we stayed) there is plenty of places to park or you can take a shuttle. There is a video monitor you can use to check the view at the top before you purchase tickets. There is a restaurant and gift shop up there if you want to buy a souvenir. Also recommend Toby Creek Adventures but know that they are a 2.5 hour drive from Banff. Lots of good short hikes along the river that runs through town. There are also lots of hikes that are moderately strenuous. One that we did is Johnson Canyon which is nice because the path is along the river and there are several nice spots with waterfalls that are photo opportunities. We did have a three and five year old that had to be carrried most of the way. Lake Louise is nice but the hotel there is huge with lots of guests always coming and going. DO NOT TAKE HORSE SLED RIDE. It is terribly boring.
flashplayer
AG
Thanks for the suggestions. We had a great trip and the weather was very kind. Our highlights:

Thoroughly enjoyed and highly recommend:

-Jasper sky tram (though any Gondola type deal up there is probably awesome)
-Maligne Canyon (really a gorge) - was an easy hike for kids and very unique / beautiful
-Peyto Lake - Wow. Thank you for recommending this. It was our favorite hike of the trip. Well worth the short stop. (Loved it enough to stop there a 2nd time

Overrated (not bad but not living up to hype)
-Maligne Lake Boat Tour to Spirit Island - the ride over is nice and Maligne is beautiful, but Spirit Island is a downer. It was filled with thousands of mosquitoes (not exaggerating I swear to God) and while it was a pretty site, it's not worth the 20 minute stop. Not saying you shouldn't go, but it won't be a tragedy to miss it.
-Bear St Tavern in Banff - I will say the Chili sauce / honey combo they suggest offers a tasty twist on traditional pizza, but the pizza itself was not that good (that was the opinion of the whole party and we had 3-4 different kinds, maybe caught them on a bad day?)

If you want to see multiple bears, we had great luck by driving down highway 1 going west from Lake Louise into Kootenay / south Yoho National parks. We probably saw 5 or six of them on the road in different parts of the day in just 1 round trip on that highway. They're very much out and about right now.

Athabasca and Sunwapta falls are easy treks and worth a stop if you have time, though I wouldn't call them showstoppers.
nosoupforyou
AG
Awesome.. glad you loved Peyto!!

I'll use your Jasper ideas when we go one day
Orozco05
Just got back from my trip to Banff. Thanks for all the recs & info on this place. Abosolutely beautiful place.
nosoupforyou
AG
Highlights? Favs?
Orozco05
Long Read.

I would like to return in the next 2-3 years. Maybe when there's not as many people.

Moraine Lake - wish the canoes were available. Was told it was for lodge guests only for another week or so. I called bs. Beautiful place.

Lake Louise - This place was insanely packed and for good reason. I did the Teahouse Hike which was amazing. Didn't try anything at the house because they were closed. Really enjoyed the hike as we didn't see that many people. Went later in the evening.

Peyto Lake - Also packed but stunning view. We ventured off on the bow summit hike. There was plenty of snow higher up on the trail and eventually saw no trail due to snow. We turned back. I felt like we were close. I regret not going further. We don't have much experience with snow.

Lake Minnewanka - I rented one of the small motor boats for an hour. So much fun. Water was super cold and it was choppy. My gf had never been on a boat that small before. She freaked out a few times. We only saw 2 other boats while out on the water. Most people stuck to the canoes & kayaks (limited area)

Banff - the actual town was great too. Everyone we met was super nice and made recs as well. I haven't had Poutine in a while and I made sure to get my share since it was widely available. Gondola was fun.

Herbert Lake - stopped here on the way to Peyto Lake. Saw my first bear after leaving this lake. I saw two other people the entire time we were here.

Food:
Earls (chain) - solid place. Crispy ribs were great.
Elk & Oarsmen - rooftop bar with great views. I did not like the food however the lady enjoyed hers.
Coyotes - great French toast
Banff Ave Brewery - good brews & food. Had Johnny playing on tv.
The Block - good cocktails. Meh on the food.
Park Distillery - probably my favorite place in Banff. Solid food and great cocktails. The service was great here as well.
Tooloulous - breakfast. Got the job done.
Native Tongues (Calgary) - wanted see how they do tacos in Canada. Surprisingly good if overpriced. Awesome cocktails!
AgRyan04
Anyone know the rules/regulations for bringing your own kayak to Morraine or Louise?
malenurse
AG
AgRyan04 said:

Anyone know the rules/regulations for bringing your own kayak to Morraine or Louise?
Good luck getting that to fit in the overhead storage bins
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
AgRyan04
Ha, I can't imagine trying to get thst down the security xray belt

We're actually taking our travel trailer so if we take it, it'll be strapped it to he roof of the old Sequoia
TXTransplant
I'm thinking about taking my son on this trip next June. I'm trying to squeeze in a trip before he goes to Philmont, so we have limited time (have to be back home by June 13).

My question is about the color of the lake in early June. I was reading yesterday that Lake Louise isn't fully melted until the first or second week of June, and the really vibrant turquoise color is best seen in July and August.

I could move the trip to August - any preferences/recommendations from those of you who have been?
hds
AG
I was there June 3-7 and Lake Louise was melted and blue. If you want to see super blue go to nearby Lake Peyto.
flashplayer
AG
TXTransplant said:

I'm thinking about taking my son on this trip next June. I'm trying to squeeze in a trip before he goes to Philmont, so we have limited time (have to be back home by June 13).

My question is about the color of the lake in early June. I was reading yesterday that Lake Louise isn't fully melted until the first or second week of June, and the really vibrant turquoise color is best seen in July and August.

I could move the trip to August - any preferences/recommendations from those of you who have been?

We were there in late May and all the lakes were melted and pretty blue / turquoise. As stated above, Peyto was by far the most spectacular.

The earlier you go, the more bears you'll probably see. We had about a dozen bear sightings during our 5 day trip. Supposedly they aren't quite as easy to spot later in the summer, according to locals. One perk of going earlier.
BarryProfit
Anyone done this at Christmas time?
OldArmy71
AG
What documents do you need to fly into and out of Canada?
nosoupforyou
AG
OldArmy71 said:

What documents do you need to fly into and out of Canada?
Passport
OldArmy71
AG
Afraid of that. Thanks!
magnoliaag
There is a mountain lake off Hwy 93 that is an incredible hike that you make as difficult as you want, easy or hard depending on how far you go. Most beautiful lake water I have ever seen. Can give more details of location if you want.
nosoupforyou
AG
Of course.. share the name!
magnoliaag
Altrude
AustinCountyAg
care to elaborate on this...heading there this summer and I am interested
magnoliaag
Sorry, don't view this forum much. Email me at whitney@consolidated.net and will try to give you details. It's been a couple years but think I have down on Google.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.