Which Caribbean Island?

1,424 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wangus12
09Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am trying to plan a beach vacation for later in the year (around September maybe) for my girlfriend and I, but I have never been to any of the islands and have no clue which one to pick. It would be for 8-9 days. Mainly looking for nice beaches with fun nightlife also as an option. I would prefer one that isn't still recovering from the hurricanes. Also, we enjoy areas that we can wander around and explore vs having to stay at one resort the whole time (we recently went to Isla Mujeres and really enjoyed being able to explore the island by golf cart and just stop in random restaurants/shops/bars etc). We would also prefer more of an adults only atmosphere vs being around lots of families and kids. Good food and cool bars for beach cocktails is always a plus as well. Budget isn't an issue, but not being ridiculously expensive would be nice. If anyone could offer some suggestions I'd really appreciate it as I have no clue where to even start. Thanks!
metrag06
AG
The ABC islands are nice and south of the hurricane belt.

Only experience with them has been Aruba - beaches are nice and there's stuff to do/visit outside the resorts. No idea on nightlife aside from hotel though.
Ag CPA
AG
Yah, keep in mind you are traveling during the heart of hurricane season. Aruba would be my pick for that reason alone (and it checks most of the boxes for you).
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Barbados was amazing. Went for honeymoon stayed at Sandals.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Following. Just booked a cruise in December

San Juan
St. Thomas
St. Kitts
Antigua
St. Lucia
Barbados

I think I'm looking most forward to St. Lucia. I love mountainous islands.

Would love opinions for shore excursions, places to eat, things to avoid.

San Juan and St. Thomas had hurricane damage but I'm hoping by Dec it will be much improved. From my research, the others were minimally impacted, but of course, we have this hurricane season to get through.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

San Juan
St. Thomas
St. Kitts
Antigua
St. Lucia
Barbados

San Juan and St. Thomas had hurricane damage but I'm hoping by Dec it will be much improved. From my research, the others were minimally impacted, but of course, we have this hurricane season to get through.

I'd love information on this cruise.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Cooper Island is my heaven on earth and back in business after the hurricane.

http://cooperislandbeachclub.com/
The Anchor
AG
PrestigeWorldwideAg12 said:

Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

San Juan
St. Thomas
St. Kitts
Antigua
St. Lucia
Barbados

We did a similar cruise. We left from San Juan and did St. Thomas, Tortuga, St. Lucia, Dominica, St. Kitts, Barbados, and St. Maarten. It was a lot of fun. It's neat to see how different the islands are (even terrain). This was around 2011 so there wasn't hurricane damage. We were younger and had no kids, so we did a lot of excursions.
96ags
AG
I doubt you will be able to notice any hurricane damage at all in San Juan, especially around the port area. Inner island still has noticeable damage, but not where the cruise ships dock.

Old San Juan is great to wander around.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Celebrity, leave Dec 1. Got a balcony, tips, drink package and $300 ship credit for $900 per person.
wangus12
AG
The Anchor said:

PrestigeWorldwideAg12 said:

Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

San Juan
St. Thomas
St. Kitts
Antigua
St. Lucia
Barbados

We did a similar cruise. We left from San Juan and did St. Thomas, Tortuga, St. Lucia, Dominica, St. Kitts, Barbados, and St. Maarten. It was a lot of fun. It's neat to see how different the islands are (even terrain). This was around 2011 so there wasn't hurricane damage. We were younger and had no kids, so we did a lot of excursions.
We did a similar one as well.

San Juan
St. Thomas
Barbados
St. Lucia
St. Kitts
St. Maarten
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.