Maui

5,525 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ontherocks
AggieOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Heading to Maui in June. I won a trip through work, so the first 4 days are planned and will be staying at the four seasons. After the 4 days, which are paid for and planned, the wife and I will be staying a n additional 3 days on our own. We are staying near the four seasons and will have a rental car. The wife will be 6 months pregnant, so not looking for anything strenuous, but looking for recommendations for things to do and places to eat.
TXTransplant
Went to Maui last summer. Did a private guided Road to Hana tour with a company called Maui Easy Riders. It was amazing (they will customize the stops based on your interests). I have since recommended them to two other friends/coworkers, and they all had a fabulous time. It's pricey, but they will use your rental, which will save you some money. It's an all day, trip (we were out from like 8-7).

Treat your wife to a 1/2 day at the Grand Wailea Spa, if she thinks she can enjoy it being pregnant (have her check out the website to see if she can). Even if all she gets is a pedicure, the "complimentary" spa amenities offered to all guests (salt water/aromatherapy baths, plunge pool, massage shower, etc) are amazing.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Some form of helicopter tour. Expensive but money well spent IMO
AggieOO
TitanAGGIE09 said:

Some form of helicopter tour. Expensive but money well spent IMO

Wife won't get in a helicopter. Already had to pass that up.
Furlock Bones
AG
only thing i'll say about the road to hana is that is one of the windiest roads i've ever been on. people consistently get car sick that have never been car sick in their lives.

it's one of the reasons i won't do it on a bus with other people.

depending on how your wifes stomach is doing in pregnancy, you may decide to not do it because there is no easy way back.
AggieOO
TXTransplant said:

Went to Maui last summer. Did a private guided Road to Hana tour with a company called Maui Easy Riders. It was amazing (they will customize the stops based on your interests). I have since recommended them to two other friends/coworkers, and they all had a fabulous time. It's pricey, but they will use your rental, which will save you some money. It's an all day, trip (we were out from like 8-7).

Treat your wife to a 1/2 day at the Grand Wailea Spa, if she thinks she can enjoy it being pregnant (have her check out the website to see if she can). Even if all she gets is a pedicure, the "complimentary" spa amenities offered to all guests (salt water/aromatherapy baths, plunge pool, massage shower, etc) are amazing.

Road to hana was on the list. Didn't realize there were guided tours. What exactly does the guide do? I thought it was just a scenic drive. As you can tell, I'm pretty ignorant on this topic.

The spa sounds interesting. Is there a way to do just the "complimentary" stuff? Sounds similar to a russian/Turkish bath, and I love those places.

Any take on luaus? Worth it? Overrated?
TXTransplant
AggieOO said:

TXTransplant said:

Road to hana was on the list. Didn't realize there were guided tours. What exactly does the guide do? I thought it was just a scenic drive. As you can tell, I'm pretty ignorant on this topic.

The spa sounds interesting. Is there a way to do just the "complimentary" stuff? Sounds similar to a russian/Turkish bath, and I love those places.

Any take on luaus? Worth it? Overrated?

So, most of the guided Road to Hana tours you will find on the internet are group tours on a bus. Maui Easy Riders is a private tour. We met our guide (Tim) who grew up on the island. He took us in one of their mini-vans, and we did the "reverse" route. The Road to Hana is more than just a drive...there are literally hundreds of interesting places to stop along the way...waterfalls and pools, the bamboo forest, the eucalyptus forest, monkey grass, the turtle resting beach. Literally more places than you could ever cram into just one day. That's what so great about the local guide - he will ask you what you want to see/what your interests are and take you there. Some of the places would be difficult to find on your own. And he'll also take some great pics of the two of you. And he also knows all the great places to eat.

If you want more specific info, leave your email and I'll message you some pics from our trip. Or, if you're on Instagram, I'll send you my user name. I have a bunch of pics there.

The spa is awesome! The massage shower was the best thing ever. And it is very reminiscent of a Turkish bath. I don't think you can go in without paying for a treatment, but I got a foot massage that was very reasonably priced (no more than $100-$120), and it wound up being a full body massage. The pedicures are under $100, I think.

Didn't do a luau. Wanted to, but didn't get to it. If you're interested in professional photos, I have a recommendation for that, too, that is very reasonably priced. My pics are also on Instagram
Furlock Bones
AG
If you want the best show and Hawaiian culture then to Old Lahaina Luau. I went to That about 6 years ago. We enjoyed it. It's buffet and the food is decent. But the whole show is worth it. However you need to book in advance. We are going to Maui in May and many dates are full.

So I booked Feast at Lele. It's supposed to have better food though it's slighlty more expensive. But you do get your own private table vs the group table at Old Lahaina.

I say yes you should do it and I'm.m not one that's usually into that sort of thing.
Post removed:
by user
Ag_N_Houston
AG
Warren and Annabelle is great!
AggieOO
We just booked a spot for Haleakala National Park Summit Sunrise.

Will look into the info above for dinner/luau.
TXTransplant
I really wanted to do that, but Maui was at the end of a two week trip, and I just couldn't bring myself to get up at 2 am. We're doing sunset and stargazing on Mauna Kea (Big Island) in June to make up for it.
AggieOO
TXTransplant said:

I really wanted to do that, but Maui was at the end of a two week trip, and I just couldn't bring myself to get up at 2 am. We're doing sunset and stargazing on Mauna Kea (Big Island) in June to make up for it.
with a pregnant wife, i figure we can't get too crazy. So getting up super early will suck, but not as bad as it would be if we were both drinking.
lil99chris
AG
AggieOO said:

We just booked a spot for Haleakala National Park Summit Sunrise.

Will look into the info above for dinner/luau.

Be sure to bring a blanket for each of you or a jacket. It gets chilly.

Check out Da Kitchen. Food was pretty good.

http://dakitchen.com

If you decide to do some snorkeling on a tour.....highly recommend Trilogy.

http://www.sailtrilogy.com/
AggieOO
anyone been to the Maui Ocean Center?

We love aquariums, but there's so many other things to do...
TXTransplant
What dates in June are you going to be there? The Taste of Summer event at the Grand Wailea is actually something I wanted to do when we were there, but the timing didn't work out. A friend of mine who lives on Maui went (we were supposed to go together, until I screwed up the schedule) and she had a great time.

https://www.mauifilmfestival.com
AggieOO
first week of June. The work reward trip part is 3-7. Personal time is 7-10.
TXTransplant
AggieOO said:

first week of June. The work reward trip part is 3-7. Personal time is 7-10.

Film festival starts on the 13th, so that won't work.
AggieOO
really appreciate the input/help/advice.

trying to do everything we can within reason. No idea when we'll get back to hawaii, especially with the kid on the way, and its likely that a follow-up trip might be to a different island anyway.

My parents have been to Maui, but our interests are so different that talking to them about their trip doesn't help us that much.
TXTransplant
I hope I'm giving you good ideas! Travel is such a personal thing, when it comes to both activities and budget. But when I do something that I enjoy, I love to pass the recommendations along and then see others enjoy themselves, too.

A coworker just did the Road to Hana tour (on my recommendation) last week.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Mama's Fish House. You'll thank me later. Reservations required.

We honeymooned in Maui, and have been back to Oahu and Kauai. Tough deciding if I liked Maui or Kauia better, but both were incredible.

My favorite thing to do on all three islands is to simply take a drive around the perimeter of the island. In Maui, some of the guidebooks say that the loop around South Maui is difficult, not worth it, or the roads are bad. Hogwash. It is both beautiful, easy, and definitely worth it. It would take a full day to do the entire loop around both south Maui and West Maui, I'd actually recommend doing them on 2 separate days. The guidebook "Maui Revealed" will have mile by mile marker tips on things to stop and see along the entire route. If your car isn't a convertible, spring for the upgrade. But don't forget your sunscreen.

South Maui is drier and has better beaches. West Maui, and the north side has better scenery.

There are lots of opinions about Haleakala crater. The most advertised and talked about tours were ridiculously early sunrise tours, and biking down. Obviously biking will not be on your wife to do list, but we had a lovely time seeing in mid morning, just driving up and down on our own. I'll qualify that by saying that the mountain is often clouded after the early morning, and we got lucky and were able to see it on a clear day. If you are early risers, then from what I hear, the sunrise is truly spectacular, but I just say this to say that you can have great day there on your own if the weather is good. It's truly other-worldly at the top.

The Road to Hana is definitely a must do, which you would cover if you took my advise for a driving the entire primeter. Just make sure you have the good guidebook that tells you were the best waterfalls are. Many are not visible from the road but with just a short hike you get a nice treat, and even at 6 months pregnant are not strenuous. Just read carefully because some would be a but more than your wife might want to take on.

Also, be warned that "Secret Beach" on South Maui is or at least used to be a nudist hangout. We got there in the morning before anyone showed up. My wife got a kick out of me swimming into the midsts of a bunch of older naked people with my snorkel gear on. I saw some feet, and looked up and realized what I had done. Oops.
Texaggie7nine
Definitely go to Makena Beach. Big Beach side if you don't like seeing old naked people, Little Beach if you do.

If going to Big Beach, drive down past the 2 big parking lot entrances until you see some porta potties on the side of the road. Park on the side of the road there and walk out to the beach. If you go in the morning there, it's not as crowded as the parking lots.

For Road to Hana, I highly recommend downloading the Hana Maui Driving Tour by Shaka Guide and doing the reverse route option. It will give you all the details, and it uses GPS to know when you get to each landmark to tell you about it. It also had a few things that most guidebooks and tours don't have, including a cool cave to explore that usually is empty. Also bring some bathing suits to swim in the waterfalls.

Also, if you have the time, it's worth it to go up to Kaanapali and hit up some beaches and shopping and eating in Lahaina. It's worth renting snorkel gear from one of the Boss Frogs and hitting up Olowalu and Black Rock beaches while up there.

As for eating. I know everyone recommends Mama's but my favorite spot for top notch food was Hali'imaile General Store which is a bit more inland.
7nine
AggieOO
Texaggie7nine said:

For Road to Hana, I highly recommend downloading the Hana Maui Driving Tour by Shaka Guide and doing the reverse route option. It will give you all the details, and it uses GPS to know when you get to each landmark to tell you about it. It also had a few things that most guidebooks and tours don't have, including a cool cave to explore that usually is empty. Also bring some bathing suits to swim in the waterfalls.

good to see this recommendation. I downloaded it yesterday and poked around, but hadn't purchased any of the tours.
Texaggie7nine
Totally worth it. My mom who has used it as well has done a guided tour before on the road to hana and she said she enjoyed the shaka tour much more. The reverse tour gives you access to a lot of the more popular spots at the end of the traditional tour before they get really crowded, but expect to spend 10-13 hours to complete the tour, depending on how long you spend at each spot.
7nine
FlyFish95
Quote:

only thing i'll say about the road to hana is that is one of the windiest roads i've ever been on. people consistently get car sick that have never been car sick in their lives.

Yep, my wife. Puked the whole time
Texaggie7nine
If I wasn't the driver I would be sick, no doubt.
7nine
AggieOO
great. lol.
Texaggie7nine
With just 2 people it should be no issue if you are driving a car because you can see the road. It's sitting in the back and only seeing out the side that will get you sick. Unless you have a convertible. Then it's not too bad.
7nine
Furlock Bones
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

With just 2 people it should be no issue if you are driving a car because you can see the road. It's sitting in the back and only seeing out the side that will get you sick. Unless you have a convertible. Then it's not too bad.
yup. i recommend a convertible in Maui vs Jeep. when i was there last time, the convertible was super easy to open and close the top when the inevitable rain shower hit. jeeps are bit more time consuming.

renting a convertible again in May.
Matsui
SJEAg
AG
Quote:

Be sure to bring a blanket for each of you or a jacket. It gets chilly.

Being underdressed resulted in me being the coldest I can recall. Wind chill was in the 20s. Worth it though.
Killin Me Smalls
AG
DryFly said:

Quote:

Yep, my wife. Puked the whole time

We had to turn around halfway because my wife couldn't handle it.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
scuba/snorkel?

Molokini Crater?
AggieOO
Already planned.
BSD
AG
Has anyone done the road to Hana in reverse? Considering that for Spring Break next year.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.