Away suitcases

1,578 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Crazy Ag 97
ChipFTAC01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thinking about getting a new carryon before a trip in a few weeks. I haven't bought new luggage in forever. I remember being intrigued by the Away suitcases when they hit the market a while back and did a big social media advertising push.

The reviews seem to be mixed. Some very positive and some really questioning it's durability and construction. Anyone have any experience with one? Or a suggestion for another $200ish hardsided cases?
ChipFTAC01
AG
One review I read recommended Muji cases as an alternative.
Matsui
AG
I always suggest going to Marshall's or TJ maxx or home goods or a place that like and buying $50-60 ones. The airlines will beat your nice stuff up and you will scratch it putting it into overhead bins
HeightsAg
It's crap. My analyst bought one last year and the exterior is falling apart already. I'm not a fan of hardsides in general but you must have one, go the Matsui route and just buy the cheap stuff at discounted outlets and treat them as throwaways. My recommendation is to get something with ballistic nylon - it doesn't have to cost much more than $200 and will last a long time. I have a Victorinox that has over a million miles on it and is still in great condition.
jammer262
Matsui said:

I always suggest going to Marshall's or TJ maxx or home goods or a place that like and buying $50-60 ones. The airlines will beat your nice stuff up and you will scratch it putting it into overhead bins

This, you still get a high quality brand at half the price.
Bachelor99
AG
briggs & riley life time warranty...
Snipes
AG
I bought an eagle creek carry on 5 years ago and it still looks like new after traveling extensively with it.
bco2003
AG
Orvis' Battenkill line has a lifetime warranty as well, which they are generous on honoring. I've been through 3 or 4 of their largest suitcase over the years.

Their upfront cost has gotten pretty crazy though.
90 bull
AG
My wife used a B&R for traveling 80% of the time for 5 years. We had to replace a wheel under the warranty. Took 2 weeks and was fairly straightforward. No questions asked, just take to the local dealer and they took care of it. It is showing some wear and tear, but cosmetic only. Definitely worth the money.
SW AG80
AG
I agree with Matsui. For carry on I just use a backpack. Had never done that until we went to Europe a few years ago. Use it all the time now regardless of where we are going.
Alan Pavio
AG
eBags makes a great oversized back pack carry on. I bought one(Amazon) a couple of years ago for around $150 and it's the best bag I've ever owned.
aggiedata
AG
I second going to TJ Maxx. Just picked up a nice Samsonite mini roller for Mrs AggieData for $70 yesterday.

Also Kirkland brand at Costco has very reasonable and durable carry-on rollers.
drumboy
AG
Snipes said:

I bought an eagle creek carry on 5 years ago and it still looks like new after traveling extensively with it.
My wife got an Eagle Creek 'hybrid' duffel/backpack convertible thing 7 years ago before a Europe trip and I was pretty skeptical at first but it's been a great bag on many trips. We have some of their cubes too which I use on every trip as well.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Well, I think the consensus against Away is pretty resounding from the people with actual experience. Actually I'm glad I had put off buying a new carry-on (the wheels on my old one fell apart) as when I was having lunch with my in-laws this weekend I said something about looking for a new one for the trip and my FIL offered me his nice small bag for the trip. It's smaller than what i probably would have bought for myself but it works well for this trip.

I'll pick something else up when I have more time.
cruzdoggie
AG
I don't think there is anything wrong with Aways actually. Its no different than the people who criticize yeti coolers or other luxury brands. Nobody needs away suitcases but I think they are pretty good suitcases. I have a nicer samsonite set that were more expensive than the away 3 piece set and my wife's away set is holding up better and in general seems to be the better set. The charger is nice for us and the suitcase is pretty light.
Texaggie7nine
jammer262 said:

Matsui said:

This, you still get a high quality brand at half the price.
Ditto.

I got a Coleman from Academy https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/coleman-29-in-faimont-upright-suitcase#repChildCatid=4724053

Took it all over Spain and Belgium, 6+ flights, through cobble streets. Still in great shape.
7nine
Snipes
AG
drumboy said:

Snipes said:

My wife got an Eagle Creek 'hybrid' duffel/backpack convertible thing 7 years ago before a Europe trip and I was pretty skeptical at first but it's been a great bag on many trips. We have some of their cubes too which I use on every trip as well.
I also have a large carry on bag from eagle creek as well and it has been bullet proof so far. I tried to go cheap route before but got tired of bags breaking mid travel and having to deal with it on the fly. Much prefer to spend little more and have a solid bag opposed to having to carry a duct taped bag around.
Crazy Ag 97
AG
Bought a Ricardo hardsided wheeled carry-on on ebags for $80. It's been 3 years ago of extensive travel and the bag has been great. Fits easily into overhead, rolls great, takes a beating and never had an issue. Will easily buy another one when the wife needs a new carry-on.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.