Grand Cayman

2,603 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by FHKChE07
Burn-It
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are hauling the kids & friends in July for 10 days. The Rib found a house on the water in the South Sound area. For those who have been, any recommendations for daytime activities, restaurants? It looks like some good snorkeling and kayaking just off our shoreline.
AKA 13-0
LeftyAg89
AG
Well, the obvious recommendation..

If you haven't been, take a boat out to Stingray City. Pretty cool experience and awesome water/sandbar out in the middle of the ocean.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
The turtle farm and rum point
Always_Right
AG
aduey06
We went for our first time in March and loved it. We stayed at a resort on the north end of seven mile beach but we have already talked about going back and renting a house on the beach.

We did stingray city which was cool. We never made it to rum point.

You can look up how many ships are going to be docked any day. We tried to plan our excursions when the least amount of ships were in port.

We did do the turtle farm, it was ok. Kids got to hold a baby turtle which was fun but not much other than that. They had a water park in the back but we did not do that.

Across the street from the turtle farm is the cracked conch. We like that and we also liked their beach bar where you can snorkel right from the bar. Alot of people were diving right there as well but we only snorkled.

We tried to relax on the beach most of the other time. One of our other favorite meals was at calypso grill. We only went for 6 days so you should have plenty of time to get to some of the areas we didn't get to.
aeroag14
AG
When in July will you be there?
aeroag14
AG
My family has been to Cayman many times and we (interestingly enough) will be on the island in early July ourselves.

We have never stayed anywhere other than 7 mile beach, but I have heard that the south sound is nice.

As far as activities, the big hitters are:

1) Stingray City sand bar. Usually the companies that take you out have boats that will take you snorkeling in a few places in addition to Sting Ray city

2) Snorkeling. I am not familiar with the snorkeling in the south sound area (I am sure there is good snorkeling there I just havnt ever been). There is an EXCELLENT snorkeling spot on 7 mile beach just out from the cemetery. You don't have to swim more than 20 or so yards from shore.

3) Diving. Cayman usually gets rated as a top 2 or 3 dive spot in the carribean. If you have any desire to dive, I would do it on this trip. Most dives are 2 tank dives where the first dive is "off the wall". Just off the shore (easily less than a mile in many places) the sea floor drops off from ~100 feet into the Cayman trench at a few thousand feet. It does so in the form of a nearly vertical wall. It is an amazing site to see. The most dramatic drop offs are on the north wall, but due to currents, most of the diving in July is off of the west wall (west side of the island), directly out from 7 mile beach.

4) Water sports. Lots of companies will rent you jet skis, kayaks, etc. There are tons of opportunities for parasailing and other motor sports of the sort.

As far as restaurants there are a lot of good ones.

1) The best is probably Casanovas which is an Italian restaurant in Georgtown that is right on the water. Not cheap, but reasonably priced in my book.

2) Deckers is a bit more upscale but good food. Although, I think it is a bit over priced.

3) Coconut Joes is a laid back restaurant that has a good variety for pretty cheap

4) Lone Star is another casual place that has a good reasonably priced selection. Apparently it used to be owned by an Aggie but has since been sold.

5) Eats caf is another reasonably priced casual place.

6) Chicken Chicken is a lunch type fast food spot but really good and worth a trip if you've never had it.

7) Calico Jacks is an (in my book) AWESOME beach bar. It is on the public beach on 7 mile beach and is a stereotypical Caribbean beach bar. Definitely worth a visit.

Finally, just a heads up. If you are planning on visiting a grocery store for food/drinks/etc, make sure to stock up on SATURDAY. Virtually the entire island (including the grocery stores) shuts down on sunday. So if you need something, get it Saturday.
LondonAg89
AG
Calypso Grill is great for dinner. Try the sticky toffee pudding. You will thank me.
f2foxes2001
AG
Calypso and Casanova were great. Definitely recommend.
"Without the Corps, A&M would be Texas State or t.u." "lots of rednecks wear jorts, lots of rednecks are Longhorns. do the math."
cheeky
AG
Blue at Ritz is legit. paradise for fine wine
FHKChE07
AG
Eat the short rib ravioli at Agua and you will not be disappointed.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.