Where to go this summer?

1,821 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AustinCountyAg
ReloadAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife and I and two little girls (5 and 2) are trying to think of somewhere to go for vacation this summer. We're not big beach or theme park people so that's out unless it's a nice west coast beach as part of a larger trip. We like natural beauty more than cities but don't mind seeing a new city for a couple of days as part of the trip either. We've been to quite a few places on the west coast and enjoy that part of the country so maybe somewhere we haven't been like Oregon or NorCal (maybe Napa/SF?). We also wouldn't rule out somewhere international if it wasn't outrageously expensive or really hard to get to either.

Thanks,
schmendeler
AG
I find Arkansas to be pretty naturally beautiful. they have a great state park system with lodges and cabins for rent. if you're in texas it's a great not too far vacation.
Wicked Good Ag
Oregon Utah or Montana come to mind. If driving a loop of those places would work
ReloadAg
AG
You're right, Arkansas is really beautiful and a short drive from Texas but we have family there and have been many times so I'd cross that one off the list.
Matsui
AG
How hot is st George Utah in summer
Tahoe
schmendeler
AG
ReloadAg said:

You're right, Arkansas is really beautiful and a short drive from Texas but we have family there and have been many times so I'd cross that one off the list.

Certainly understandable
malenurse
AG
Matsui said:

How hot is st George Utah in summer
Tahoe
I would rather be in Moab during the summer because of the heat. HOWEVER, it will be packed.
Just got back from Utah two days ago and April is the time to hit those National Parks.

And it was already getting crowded. Took us almost an hour to enter Arches NP because we got up late.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
JayAggie
AG
Do you count Branson, MO as Arkansas? If not, we stayed on a lake there and had a great time with our kids. They do have theme parks, but tons of other things to offer, and beautiful area.

As for west coast, been to SF area. Went to Monterrey and Carmel while there. Carmel was very nice and was a good day on the beach and town, we just went there for the day. Saw some old missions, which was cool to us. I enjoyed the surrounding area like Palo Alto and visiting Stanford and the little day trips to Carmel and Monterrey much more than actual San Francisco.

Been to Seattle too, and preferred that over San Francisco. I would go back to San Francisco but without kids next time. For what it's worth, also been to San Diego and that was much more fun with kids. But we did Zoo & Sea World so sounds like you may not be looking for that.
txags92
AG
Northern New Mexico/Southern Colorado? Some nice rentals in the mountains outside of places like Angel Fire, NM and South Fork, CO. Hiking, fishing, rafting, etc. Good camping too if you are into that kind of thing.
johnrth
Have you been to Jackson hole or Yellowstone? We're heading that way in July.
bufrilla
AG
Colonial Williamsburg, Va., very close to JamestownNP, YorktownNBF, Jamestown Village and Yorktown Victory Center & Bush Gardens.
2 hours from Mt Vernon or Monticello
Travel the Blue Ridge Parkway to the Shenandoah
Smoky Mtn National Park
To and from with stops at Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, the Biltmore, Lookout Mtn, many other places enroute.
A great 10 day or plus trip with an adventure everyday. Williamsburg, you can rent period clothes for kids at visitors center and they can play the part with all the locals.
Been spending a week there for the last 12 years (Marriott's Ford Colony).
AustinCountyAg
Hilton Head Island. Nice and clean and very family friendly
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.