Big Bend in May - Itinerary Feedback

579 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SA68AG
fourthgenag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife and I are headed to Big Bend in May and we'd like some feedback on our itinerary since it's our first time. We realize it'll be hot but it works best with our schedule. We are staying in Terlingua and plan on starting early each morning but we're wondering what to do during the heat of the day. We'll be in Ft Davis/Marfa Sat and Sun so I'm starting with the BBNP portion:

Mon - drive from Marfa to Terlingua
-Shafter, quick stop
-Presidio/Ft Leaton, quick stop
-BBRSP trail or two (Closed Canyon, etc)
-check in Terlingua

Tues
-Grapevine Hills & Lost Mine, early
-rest
-Santa Elena sunset?

Wed
-South Rim, early early!

Thurs
-1/2 day river trip (BBRSP)
-rest
-sunset horse ride (2hr)

Fri
-Hot Springs, early
-rest
-Window sunset?

Sat
-check out
-might drive halfway (Terlingua>Dallas) to cut the drive in half. Any recommendations on where to stop?

Too much hiking? Too little? Thanks.
Dr.Rumack
Sounds great!
SA68AG
AG
Sounds good. I did nearly the same hikes at the times you're planning a week ago. Can't stress the need to to start early enough. It was hitting right at 100 in the shade in mid afternoon in the desert. We did Grapevine Hills right after sunrise and it was in the mid 40s.

For your South Rim hike I'd suggest going up Laguna Meadows and coming down the Pinnacles. If you start early enough you'll be in the shade the whole way up to the South Rim. You'll also get more shade coming down the Pinnacles in the afternoon.

Also parking is becoming a real issue for the Lost Mine Trail. The lot was filling up by mid morning while we were there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.