Severe Flooding on the North Shore of Kauai

3,585 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by DD88
Out in Left Field
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.khon2.com/news/local-news/storm-damages-dozens-of-homes-on-kauai-air-rescues-commence/1122898739

Looks like Hanalei was hit the hardest and some other low lying areas near the rivers.

We're scheduled to stay in Princeville in two weeks but that area is largely unaffected.
Furlock Bones
AG
we're headed that way in May. i guess i'll need to keep an on it. make sure our accommodations are accessible.
BSD
AG
Where are you staying? Getting to and staying in Princeville should be fine. It is elevated, situated high above the ocean. It's once you round the road to go to Hanalei is where the flooding started. The last I saw, they were checking the one lane bridge for damage. The road past that is where some flooding normally occurs but this was obviously much worse. Hopefully the road and bridges weren't damaged and it's accessible all the way down to Kee.
DD88
AG
We are heading there in May and are still looking at lodging options. The condo prices we've seen almost double with all the cleanup and management fees.
zebco
We're scheduled to stay at Hanalei Colony Resort in two weeks...not really sure what we're going to do, but trying to figure it out
BSD
AG
One article I read said that supplies for victims are available at HCR, leading me to believe they were not damaged. Getting there may be a problem though. Have you tried contacting them?
zebco
Yea, the wife has been with no luck so far. Just a busy signal
Furlock Bones
AG
DD88 said:

We are heading there in May and are still looking at lodging options. The condo prices we've seen almost double with all the cleanup and management fees.

Yep. That's the latest tactic on VRBO. Show a low "rate" then tack it all on fees and "clean up".
DD88
AG
We are booked now for lodging in Princeville.

Any recommendations on rental cars?
Out in Left Field
AG
https://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/
BSD
AG
DD88 said:

The Kuhio highway is closed. That's the road to Tunnels nd Kee. I'm not sure the status of Hanalei or whether businesses have the employees available to open. I might reconsider staying in Princeville since the rest of the north shore (which is a main reason to be up there) is closed.
DD88
AG
Quote:

Don't expect Kuhio Highway to reopen on Kauai's north shore anytime soon.
http://www.khon2.com/news/local-news/state-explains-what-needs-to-happen-before-kuhio-hwy-can-reopen-on-kauai/1127889397

I guess it depends on what "anytime soon" means. Days? Weeks? We are about 3 weeks out and would need to cancel lodging within a week.
BSD
AG
The article says there are two areas with structural damage. My guess is that a section of road washed away (I base this on pictures I've seen but I can't confirm that). That will can take weeks- months. It's up to you as to what you want to do. I personally stay in Princeville so I can hit up Tunnels and Kee but there are plenty of great beaches east and south of Princeville. In the long run you'll be happy but if you think you may end up spending more time down south, you may want to consider a new lodging location, as it takes time to get around the island. That said, I have no idea what you want in your vacation so please feel free to dismiss anything I say!
TejasMike12
AG
I was there in January and used Alii Rental Cars. The guy's name is Anwar. Good guy, I would use again.
The Lost
Furlock Bones said:

DD88 said:

Yep. That's the latest tactic on VRBO. Show a low "rate" then tack it all on fees and "clean up".
Its even more annoying they aren't universal. Its so frustrating when one is dirt cheap, but then tacks on $150+ fees, then another is listed more expensive by $50 a night, but still cheaper. I just want to know the damn final price to compare.
Furlock Bones
AG
thanks for the info BSD. what's the one can't miss food spot. i've seen your posts and trust them.
BSD
AG
On North Coast? Bar Acuda in Hanalei. It looked unaffected from the aerial views I saw. BYO too! Most restaurants are but I save my special bottles for this place.
DD88
AG
Quote:

Road Closures
  • Kuhio Highway at the Wailua River Bridge will have temporary lane closures nightly from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m., until Saturday morning, April 21, in order to remove debris from the river. This will not be a continuous closure. All traffic will be routed onto the Bryan Baptiste Memorial (Makai) Bridge, where one lane in each direction of traffic will be maintained.
  • Kuhio Highway, between Waikoko and Wainiha, remains closed due to multiple landslides. Crews are working with contractors to clear out thousands of pounds of mud, trees, and debris. A definitive timeframe has not yet been established.
  • A portion of Kahiliholo Road in Kilauea remains closed.
  • Lei O Papa Road in Princeville remains closed due to a sinkhole.
  • Weke Road in the vicinity of Black Pot Beach remains closed.

Furlock Bones
AG
BSD said:

On North Coast? Bar Acuda in Hanalei. It looked unaffected from the aerial views I saw. BYO too! Most restaurants are but I save my special bottles for this place.

Gracias
MouthBQ98
AG
Wow. That's where the wife and I did our honeymoon. That condos next to the Priceville hotel. Hanalei bay is one of my absolute favorite places to watch a sunset.
BSD
AG
We always head over the pier for sunset after dinner in Hanalei.

For those with kids, the St Regis has a kids club that offers babysitting, even for people that aren't staying there. An independent company provides the service and will even come to another hotel/condo for you. I prefer dropping my kid off there because they do cool stuff and will let them swim (movie nights at pool) or even break out the telescopes and check out the stars. When we picked up our boy last time we saw Saturn's rings thru the telescope. The geek in me loved it.
DD88
AG
State to reopen one lane of Kuhio Hwy. along Kauai's north shore by May 7
Out in Left Field
AG
That's the catamaran company we booked with! Nice to see everyone helping out in a tough situation.
BSD
AG
We use Napali Catamaran as well.
DD88
AG
Quote:

The National Weather Service says rainfall totals from Kauai's last flash-flooding event may have shattered the national rainfall record for a 24-hour period.

Initial data from a rain gage in Waipa, Kauai recorded 49.69 inches of rain from April 14 to 15.

http://www.khon2.com/weather/weather-blog/recent-kauai-storm-likely-shattered-national-rainfall-record/1141645660

No, they aren't allowed to break my hometowns's record.

It seems odd, because Princeville showed less than 2 inches of rain for that day.
[ EDIT: It looks like the history of rainfall was from Lihue, not Princeville. ]
DD88
AG
Quote:

The Hawaii Department of Transportation (HDOT) and the County of Kauai announces the single lane route on Kuhio Highway (Route 560) from Waikoko to Wainiha will be open to local traffic only beginning Friday, May 4, 2018. Residents of Wainiha and Haena driving vehicles under 10,000 pounds will be allowed to use the single lane on a limited basis, between the hours of 6 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., weather and conditions permitting. Details of the limited access are provided within this news release.

"This is a significant development, and I'd like to thank our entire team of responders who have worked diligently towards reopening a safe pass way for our isolated residents. However, there is still much work left to be done in the Wainiha-Haena area. And while we continue to conduct these emergency operations, this area will be limited to residents only until further notice. We appreciate everyone's understanding, residents and visitors alike," said Mayor Bernard Carvalho.

http://www.khon2.com/news/local-news/kuhio-highway-to-open-to-local-traffic/1158055611

Local residents only for now, but hopefully it will open up next week for visitors.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.