New York for Thanksgiving week - where are the best deals?

489 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OldAg92
OldAg92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking at taking the wife to New York for the week of Thanksgiving (mon - sat). There are so many different websites/options out there for NYC and it is hard to tell what's what. Lots of variance in price/packages. Just curious if anyone here who travels to NYC has some tried and true websites/resources for the best deals over this popular week.

Thanks in advance,

Brandt '92
TXTransplant
Did this trip Thanksgiving 2016. Left on the Saturday before and flew home on Thanksgiving Day to save money on flights (Southwest to/from La Guardia).

We rented an Airbnb with a bedroom, living room, full kitchen, and bath for about the same price per night as an average hotel room. But the city cracked down on short-term rentals, so that's probably not an option for you.

What kind of packages are you looking for? My recommendation would be to book hotel and flight separately. IIRC, I was able to find some decent hotels for about $220/night but opted for the Airbnb instead. Package deals are almost never a "deal". You won't need a rental car (Uber to/from the airport and walk/take the Subway in the city). You can find all sorts of coupons for attractions.

We used a company called Walks of New York for our trips to the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island, the 9-11 Museum, and a backstage tour of broadway. I can't say enough good things about this company and highly recommend their small-group, guided tours.
MarkItZero
AG
I and my family did a Thanksgiving trip also in 2016. We stayed at a VRBO in the East Village (Alphabet streets) to get the "real" feel of NYC. LOVED IT!

We went to the Museum of Modern Art, ate at nice/trendy restaurants, etc. The one thing I'd caution you on is going to the Upper West Side on Thanksgiving-eve to watch the ballon/parade prep. This was a nightmare on the subway and once there, you're herded like cattle. Not really worth it.

What is worth it is this!:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60763-d3975632-Reviews-New_York_Media_Boat_Adventure_Sightseeing_Tours-New_York_City_New_York.html

By far one of the best things I've ever done on vacation.

We flew in on the Sunday before Thanksgiving and out on Black Friday. This really helped on avoiding the crowds.

Good Luck and enjoy your trip!

PS: the Aggie vs. LSU official Thanksgiving game watching party for Ags is at the Hog Pit which on W. 26th St.
OldAg92
AG
Thanks to both of you. It looks like we've settle don a VRBO high rise a block from Times Square - now I need to figure out logistics for everything else - food, sightseeing, broadway show, can we go somewhere to view the Macy's parade without being so packed in that it is miserable, etc

Also, is everyhting decorated for Christmas by that week? I noticed that the Rockefeller Center tree lighting isn't until the following week (bummer) so I wondered if we may be a week early for the holiday feel.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.