Summer Olympics

856 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TheFirebird
aggiefan2002
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wife and I are considering going to the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo before taking the whole family to Paris 2024. Anybody done summer Olympics before that has tips or tricks on how to make it awesome/most cost effective? How are ticket prices for the events? Easy to even get tickets?
Aggie1391
I went to Rio in 2016 and had a blast. The media kept trying to make Zika and safety a concern, so prices were pretty cheap, but I don't think I would expect the same for Tokyo. As far as tickets went, a select amount were reserved for locals, and then everyone had to get in a "queue" online when tickets went on sale and you hoped to be lucky enough to get the tickets you want. Track and Field, along with swimming and Beach volleyball were by far the most expensive, and sold out fast. Everything else seemed to be pretty readily available. We had tickets to the soccer semis, beach volleyball, indoor volleyball, and badminton. We tried to have an event every other day so we could use the days in between to tour the cit. Beach volleyball, at least in Rio, was definitely the most fun event we went to.
CrazyAgE
Make sure you have LOTS and LOTS of condoms!!

....oh wait, that's for athletes....nevermind
TheFirebird
AG
aggiefan2002 said:

Wife and I are considering going to the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo before taking the whole family to Paris 2024. Anybody done summer Olympics before that has tips or tricks on how to make it awesome/most cost effective? How are ticket prices for the events? Easy to even get tickets?
I work was in London during the games and had a great time, even going to only free stuff (marathon) and various team houses.

Event tickets for the big draws get astronomical and as I recall you had to enter lotteries for things like swimming, track, and gymnastics. Swimming finals as I recall were going for over 500 pounds on the secondary market. My biggest grip was the amount of tickets reserved for sponsors and country delegations where seats were empty. Events like archery and dressage were more reasonable.

But as I said, the vibe in London was great and since I was there on a work trip with hotel and meals paid for-- I recommend doing it that way!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.