Anyone been to Cancun recently?

10,910 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SoupNazi2001
AgsMyDude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife and I are set to leave tomorrow for a Fri -> Sun quick 3 day weekend trip for our anniversary. Lots of stuff on the news involving crime has us a bit spooked, 14 killed in the last 36 hours. Wondering if anyone has been there recently?

We're planning on not even leaving our all-inclusive resort (Excellence Riviera Maya) since it's such a short trip. I'm assuming we'd be fine?

https://www.dallasnews.com/life/travel/2018/04/12/14-people-killed-36-hours-tourist-town-cancun

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/04/12/cancun-murder-surge-fueled-by-alleged-drug-queens-turf-war.html
Ag CPA
AG
Have not been since last fall but thinking you should be fine if you stay on the resort.

It's sad, Cancun was probably the last resort area in Mexico to dodge the cartels and crime over the past 10 years but I guess those days seem to be gone. Just can't have nice things down there.
BSD
AG
Serious question: how many of those dead were tourists? How many were people that were involved with the cartel in some way?
Texas Ag Mom
I have been traveling to Cun for 33+yrs & I was most recently there in Sept. You should use common sense just like anywhere else you travel. If you are not wandering around drunk in the middle of the night or trying to buy drugs you should be fine.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Virtually all of the murders have been in the parts of town that tourists aren't going to find themselves and I haven't heard of one of them that didn't involve criminal on criminal violence.

It's kinda like judging St. Louis, MO on east St Louis or Dallas on south oak cliff.

Edit - If not even leaving your resort, you are absolutely fine.
CBarrett12
AG
We just returned last Sunday from Grand Velas Riviera Maya. Had no issues, saw nothing concerning, and the resort was packed. We never left the resort either though. I would return again today.
Ag CPA
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

Virtually all of the murders have been in the parts of town that tourists aren't going to find themselves and I haven't heard of one of them that didn't involve criminal on criminal violence.

It's kinda like judging St. Louis, MO on east St Louis or Dallas on south oak cliff.

Edit - If not even leaving your resort, you are absolutely fine.

We were saying the same things about Acapulco 20 years ago and look how that turned out.

The problem is the crimes in Cancun are going on in places that tourists did hang out 5-10 years ago; if things don't turn around Mexico is going to become another Jamaica where nobody wants to venture off of the resort. If that's the case then there are so many better places to go in the Caribbean and Central America where you don't have to plan your itinerary around crime.
Furlock Bones
AG
Apparently you guys aren't reading all of the stories about people getting sick, dying, assaulted on resort grounds these days.

I mean I've never had a problem. But reality is that bad people are getting involved with the resorts. They aren't the safe haves they once were.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Valid points, but name one "bargain" Caribbean location without a crime issue.
Ag CPA
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

Valid points, but name one "bargain" Caribbean location without a crime issue.
True, that is part of the reason they are a bargain.
Post removed:
by user
Ag CPA
AG
Now this.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/mexico/2018/04/21/no-one-hurt-gunmen-jet-skis-open-fire-cancun-beach
Yesterday
AG
Ag CPA said:

Now this.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/mexico/2018/04/21/no-one-hurt-gunmen-jet-skis-open-fire-cancun-beach
Just some Cartel kids having a good time. No one was hurt. Seriously though this is the first concerning thing i've read about Cancun. Everything else has not involved a single tourists that I know of.
AgsMyDude
AG
OP checking back in. Everything appeared rather safe when we made our trip but then again, we didn't venture outside or the resort.

After speaking with some locals, things have definitely gotten MUCH worse lately and tourists are now getting caught up. In fact, a Canadian woman was stabbed to death just a few weeks ago.
Yesterday
AG
AgsMyDude said:

OP checking back in. Everything appeared rather safe when we made our trip but then again, we didn't venture outside or the resort.

After speaking with some locals, things have definitely gotten MUCH worse lately and tourists are now getting caught up. In fact, a Canadian woman was stabbed to death just a few weeks ago.
I tried to google the story, do you have a link? I'm interested in the rising violence down there.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
I'd also be interested in hearing more about that.

And yeah, Cancun better get its act together. I wouldn't have spent time in Cancun before this because it's not my scene... but they're going to lose out on a lot of $ and become Acapulco if not careful.

What's amazing to me is how fast these issues move into an area and back out. We went to Los Cabos and La Paz area in 2016 and it was one of the lower crime areas of Mexico. Cue El Chapo extradition and Los Cabos had a crazy violent 2017 while Quintana Roo was having very low murder #s.

In Los Cabos/La Paz they moved in New military and Federales and put the hammer down on things. Most operations the policia municipal were only used for perimeter containment and they had prosecutors along with them on the raids to ensure evidence was collected properly, etc and the Sicarios started actually staying in jail and not getting released on technicalities or lack of evidence. All that has resulted in a quiet 2018 in Los Cabos/La Paz. And now Quintana Roo has seemingly picked up overnight. Hopefully they'll employ the same model they used with success in B.C.S.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
The "internet cafe" where one of the local cartel shootings occurred recently. Guessing not many tourists have swung by...

The Lost
03ki11erAG said:

AgsMyDude said:

I tried to google the story, do you have a link? I'm interested in the rising violence down there.

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/

Best site to read about narco Violence
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Still not seeing the story to a Canadian woman stabbed to death. Not saying it didn't happen but it's incredibly odd that isn't ALL over a Google search
AgsMyDude
AG
I had a link last week, I'll try and find it when I get a free minute.
Bulldog73
AG
I'm pretty sure we're cancelling our trip to Cancun. I'd probably still go in a heartbeat if it was me and the buddies, but I can't in good conscience bring a family there.
Premium
AG
The thing about all of the danger is - everyone did stop going there - so whoever goes now is that much more likely to be harmed.
Post removed:
by user
CoolaidWade
AG
so a man on a jetski opened fire on a beach in cancun. I think i'll pass on that place.....

http://www.syracuse.com/us-news/index.ssf/2018/04/gunmen_on_jetskis_open_fire_in_popular_cancun_tourist_area.html
OjoDelMono77
AG
Just got back from honeymoon in Puerto Morelos and Playa del Carmen. I read that on Thursday in Cancun, a gang member fired a gun from a jet ski towards a vendor on the beach, but that no one was hurt.

My wife and I didn't leave the resorts we stayed at, and never felt unsafe while on those properties. I have a hard time believing the reports of people getting attacked, drugged, or kidnapped on the resorts, but if I did, the people who would be targeted for that kind of activity make themselves obvious targets within minutes of being in their presence.
RachAg2007
AG
I am in Akumal presently and have been driving around Quintana Roo for a week, never staying in a resort. I have had absolutely no problems, people are lovely, and I will absolutely come back.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Akumal is great
eiggA2002
AG
"were found shot to death April 4 in a house about 25 minutes from the beach"

This is not even remotely close to anywhere that a tourist would go.

Don't do drugs or hangout and do drugs at a nightclub at 2:30am and you'll be fine.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
I'm following the current Cancun situation pretty closely and getting a lot of updates from a retired LEO in Akumal. I'm seeing a lot of places in Cancun that nobody will ever see.

Yeah, it's pretty concerning, and I hope they get a handle on it. But it's pretty much like saying don't take a trip to St. Louis because East St Louis is #1 in US murders or Baltimore because they have crappy areas. I also don't avoid Dallas because of South Oak Cliff.

Cancun is also not where I'd want to be a cop for $250/month.
http://noticaribe.com.mx/2018/04/23/persecucion-y-balacera-en-cancun-un-robo-en-la-region-94-desata-enfrentamiento-que-deja-saldo-de-un-policia-herido-de-bala-y-dos-detendidos/
Furlock Bones
AG
eiggA2002 said:

Don't do drugs or hangout and do drugs at a nightclub at 2:30am and you'll be fine.

Except when the all inclusive resort decides they are spending too much on real alcohol so they spike the drinks instead.

No problems.
Line up and wait 18L
As an airline pilot I avoid Mexico. I've been to MEX, PVR, HUX, CUN, ACA, BJX, SJD, MTY and probably some I missed. I didn't leave anything there and I don't need to go back. I flew to Cabo once last year and prior to that hadn't been since flying to MTY in 2009. I always felt like MTY was as safe as going to MFE. I know many of you travel to Monterey on business. The last time I was there we had armed guards follow us to the layover hotel. I don't/didn't know what the reason for that was but I just thought to myself I don't have to come here and won't. For the general public, I think statistically you are safe and will have a wonderful time. For me, I'll just go elsewhere. YMMV
AgsMyDude
AG
This is where I saw the news about the Canadian woman. It is a bit odd that they just put that as the just list it in the caption and on a UK site so may not be 100% valid.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/6024491/cancun-mexico-safe-travel-advice-murders-playa-del-carmen/

Either way, after having spoken with a few locals about the situation while there, I don't think we'll be going back for a good while. Sounds like the police are extremely hesitant to report anything out as it will impact the area's #1 money maker (tourism). They also mentioned that extortion has gotten much worse for local business owners.
62strat
AG
Furlock Bones said:

eiggA2002 said:

Except when the all inclusive resort decides they are spending too much on real alcohol so they spike the drinks instead.

No problems.
Um.. yeh I want my drinks spiked. I don't want to drink juice all day.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Quote:

Either way, after having spoken with a few locals about the situation while there, I don't think we'll be going back for a good while. Sounds like the police are extremely hesitant to report anything out as it will impact the area's #1 money maker (tourism).
This is one of the concerns I have. Can't trust much of anything that comes from the govt or police in Mexico, and there is an obvious incentive to conceal as much as possible. So, as indicated on this thread, people are relying on anecdotal information. Which with that, everything is fine until it's very not fine.

If Cancun was a stock, I'd be taking a heavy short position.
drumboy
AG
eiggA2002 said:

I've been on several motorcycle trips through Mexico and spent several late nights in night clubs, can't believe I survived.

I did have a waitress rip me off for 1000 pesos (like $10 prolly) though with incorrect change and all of a sudden she couldn't speak English nor understand my spanglish
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.