Bermuda

859 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Ag CPA
mavsfan4ever
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone ever been? I ran a search but nothing came up. Wife and I are thinking about going to Bermuda this year for a beach vacation (it's one of the few zika free places apparently), but we have never been and are having a hard time deciding if it would be a good trip or not.

We were wanting something adults only and all inclusive, but it appears that Bermuda only has one adults only resort (and it is not all inclusive) and only one all inclusive resort (and it is not adults only). Cambridge is the adults only resort, and Grotto Bay is the all inclusive resort. I read a few reviews on trip advisor of Grotto Bay, and the descriptions of kids running around everywhere had us worried.

If Bermuda doesn't work out, we may just skip the beach vacation and go somewhere else out of the country.

Any info would be appreciated.
GtownRAB
AG
I am actually in Bermuda now. It is by far the best beaches and island vacation we have been on. Better than Mexico or Bahamas. Beautiful blue water and clean, fine sand.

The downside is it is extremely expensive. A cheaper lunch at a pub will run $75-$100 for 2 people without alcohol. Dinners have been running $150-200 per meal. You could easily spend more than that. Even just lounging and drinking, most drinks were $10-$19 per drink, so that adds up fast.

We stayed at the Fairmont Southampton. It is not what I would call a luxurious hotel, but it is nice, has a lot of amenities and is right next to horshoe beach (a top 5 beach in the world).

For transportation, they have buses and ferries you can use for cheap, or take a taxi which is very expensive. Really no good way around the island, roads are narrow, crowded, and lots of stops. Island is only 20 sq miles but takes about 1 hour to go from one end to the other.

As far as excursions, they offer pretty much the same as most places. There are some neat caves you can tour. Jet skiing in the blue water and being around sea turtles was a lot of fun.

Overall, we highly recommend going to Bermuda as long as the are prepared for the cost, probably double a high-end Mexican resort vacation. The island is beautiful and everyone is very friendly and welcoming.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Were there a ton of kids everywhere at the resort? We know it is more expensive than other beach vacations, but we don't want to spend that type of money and then be annoyed that kids are splashing everywhere at the pool.

And the $10-19 per drink is what we were afraid of. That's why we were going for an all inclusive option even if it was more expensive than a typical all inclusive, so we wouldn't mentally be adding up the $20 drinks every time we get one. But it looks like Bermuda doesn't do all inclusive options.
Ag CPA
AG
We've always wanted to go to Bermuda but between cold weather and hurricane season the ideal window seems to be short (I'm guessing it's probably right now).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.