Memphis

1,492 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by chick79
Wicked Good Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Got tickets for wife for Foo Fighters in May

We will drive up without kids so curious as to things to do. Looks like we will have two nights and possibly two days there depending on if we drive down to NOLA for Jazz fest on way back home.

Only for sure things we will do is Flight for dinner and the concert. Any other ideas for the extra day. Graceland is possibility but doesn't make our heart pound. Also suitable accommodations in a safe area would help with recommendations.

Last time kids in tow and had fun but now looking more adult stuff
chick79
AG
Graceland for sure. Not a huge Elvis fan and my wife was reluctant to go but we both were blown away! For BBQ try Blues City Cafe.
Burn-It
AG
Graceland was pretty cool, much better than expected. We did the VIP tour, so we could go anywhere at our own pace. It was worth it.

If you like civil rights history, there are several museums to check out. We stopped by the Lorraine Motel where MLK was killed, pretty interesting perspective standing in the street a few feet from the famous balcony.

Of course, lots of good music options along Beal Street.

We ate dinner at Flight, which was pretty good (and crowded). If you can grab breakfast or brunch at the Arcade Restaurant, I would definitely recommend it. Great Bloody Mary's and awesome sweet potato pancakes.

AKA 13-0
Wicked Good Ag
Thanks. Graceland will probably be an option. My wife not into history as much but will try to convince her on the Lorraine

We had Corkys BBQ when there last time and thought it was decent but may try a different BBQ place.

Will try out BlueBird Cafe for some music if we get a chance.
Any decent hotel recs for a average budget?? We will go cheaper if head to NOLA after but if just Memphis we may be willing to spend more. We don't spend a lot of time in hotel on trips so don't like to spend too much of budget vs food/entertainment
mrsbeer05
AG
We went during the A&M Ole Miss game last year. Got an Air BNB and it was awesome. Stax Museum of American Soul Music is great. Also recommend the Blue Hall of Fame and the Civil Rights Museum. We ate breakfast at a place called Brother Juniper. It was amazing. Get there early though.
FbgTxAg
AG
Sun Records
Graceland for sure
Brother Juniper for breakfast
Gumbo fries at Blues City Cafe
Bulldog73
AG
Sun Records tour was great, and don't miss Gus's Fried Chicken. That stuff is like crack. I'm a fan of central bbq, but others have suggested other places in the past that I want to try next time. Civil Rights museum was solid too.
TXAGFAN
AG
I spent couple years in Memphis. Some good suggestions above, but really the best/unique food in town are as follows:
1) Central BBQ by Civil Rights Museum - The best bbq in town, don't go to rendezvous.
2) Germantown commissary - If you find yourself in East Memphis I really like this place. Old school.
3) Hog and Hominy - For a nicer meal or good brunch check this place out, some of the best food I've ever eaten in my life. Get the banana pudding pie.
Gabster43213
Memphis Zoo is nice. The Bar-B-Q Shop is very good, and just a few blocks from the Zoo.
Wicked Good Ag
It looks like we got a tentative schedule but wanted to see if we could throw it out there for input

Thursday

Drive from CS If we get there early will need a dinner place but Foo Fighters concert at night

Friday

Brother Juniper for breakfast,
Graceland in the morning and early afternoon
Lunch ??
Sun Studios in late afternoon
Flight for dinner (7:30pm)
Beale Street for drinks

Saturday
Breakfast??
Civil Rights museum and Lorraine Motel
Lunch: Central BBQ then head back to BCS

may switch up some stuff but Flight and Foo Fighters are set in stone

thoughts??
jammer262
My wife was driving through there 3 weeks ago and stayed at the Crown Plaza downtown, I think we paid ~$145 for a room. That included the fee for parking and breakfast. She wasn't there long, but didn't have any complaints.
Bulldog73
AG
I'm telling you, Gus' Fried Chicken in there somewhere. We stayed at the Hampton Inn near Beale. We were able to walk to some of the bigger sights that we wanted to see including the Civil Rights Museum (although that was a pretty significant trek).

Also, there's a place called something like Mud River Island Park that is a scale model of the Mississippi. Kinda cool way we spent about an hour and a half before we headed out of town.
BSD
AG
TXAGFAN said:

1) Central BBQ by Civil Rights Museum - The best bbq in town, don't go to rendezvous.

I couldn't agree more on both points.
Wicked Good Ag
Wife wants to get some drinks after the concert on Beale Street and who am I to disagree. Any bar recommendations from those who have been to Beale Street ?
chick79
AG
Silky O'Sullivans.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.