Pigeon Forge / Gatlinburg

5,488 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by H-town ag
ag97tx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are thinking of going to the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee in July. For those that have been in that area what are things to do , places to stay, and did you fly or drive?

We are a family of four and kids are 11 and 14 years old.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
We went last year and stayed at the Bearskin Lodge in Gatlinburg. Loved it. Pigeon Forge is just a tourist trap, so stay in Gatlinburg. The Bearskin is just outside the park entrance. We spent as much time as we could in the park. There are great hikes at any level, and many places to explore. Spend a day in Cades Cove.

We moved over to Bryson City for two days and rode the train over there. With kids that age, do your whitewater rafting in the Nantahala Gorge on the NC side. I would have also liked to have spent some time on Fontana Lake but we just didn't have the time. There are a lot of good cabins and lodges on the NC side. It is a totally different vibe than Gatlinburg.

Y'all are going to love it.
Jayjay4268
AG
+1 for staying in gatlinburg. We stayed in pigeon forge and when we drove through Gatlinburg the next day we were kicking ourselves. That being said, there is an awesome go kart place called 'The Track' in the tourist trap that is pigeon forge that was way too much fun.
62strat
AG
I don't have much to add other than I went with my family at about 11 years old and have fond memories of the trip!
The Chicken Ranch
AG
One more thing. If your family is adventurous and is interested in doing a hike you will never forget, check out doing an over night hike to Le Conte Lodge at the top of Mt. Le Conte. This is a bucket list item for me.

http://www.lecontelodge.com
nonameag99
We went for Thanksgiving 2017. Me, wife, and 3 kids ages 5 to 10.

We drove from Houston. Stayed the first night in Vicksburg, MS. Visited the Battle Park the next morning then drove to Chattanooga, TN for 2 nights. Did lookout mountain, ruby falls, rock city, and just hung around. We then drove to Gatlinburg for 4 nights. We used VRBO to stay at a "cabin" in the place linked below. The cabin was great with awesome views and very convenient.

https://www.cabinsofthesmokymountains.com/

We woke up at 6AM on the last day and were ready to get home so we drove straight through back to Houston.

I would stay in in Gatlinburg over Pigeon Forge.

We did Dollywood and we thought it was awesome.

We did Dixie Stampede and it was a big meh for me but my wife went a bunch as a kid and wanted to go.

Pigeon forge reminds me of international drive in Orlando if you have ever seen that.

There are several zip lines around Gatlinburg. The aquarium is supposed to awesome.

We did snow tubing at ober gatlinburg but they have a bunch of summer stuff as well.

We are not big hikers but we did the porters creek hike.

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/kid-friendly-hikes.htm

The river is absolutely beautiful along the trail
The Aggie number specified has already been linked with another TexAgs account.
nonameag99
i'll add that if your kids are interested in mini golf this is the nicest coarse that I have ever been to

https://www.ripleys.com/gatlinburg/mini-golf/

The Aggie number specified has already been linked with another TexAgs account.
kwammer
Have been twice in the last several years and stayed at Gatlinburg Falls Resort both times. They have a variety of cabins(1BR-12BR). Well located and both cabins we have had were great.

Activities:
- Dollywood is great. Great coasters and the park is nice and clean. Well worth purchasing the front-of-line passes.
- Zip Lines: Several great places in the area. Would highly recommend CLIMBworks and Foxfire Mountain.
- Hiking: Several easy/intermediate hikes that you can take as you enter the park from Gatlinburg.
- Whitewater Rafting: Several choices...we ended up going over to the Nantahala(about an hour drive)
- Ripleys Aquarium: Great aquarium
- Impossibilities Magic Show: literally have to walk through an arcade to get to the "theater" but this was surprisingly really good

Hope that helps...only other comment is it will be hot and crowded in July, so keep that in mind.
fish_rich
AG
Thank you for the great responses so far. Most likely we are looking at driving there over the course of 2 days and then spending 5 nights in Gatlinburg to see the sights around that area.

On the way home we are planning on stopping in Huntsville, Alabama at NASA. My daughter wants to be an astronaut so we are trying to let her see NASA locations. So far she has been to Houston and Kennedy Space Center in Florida. The reason for adding Huntsville, Alabama is because that is where the real space camp is held for kids and I told her that if she still wants to be an astronaut a year from now we will send her to camp there. I just want to see the area first.

zooguy96
We live here. Pigeon Forge is a tourist trap, but has good shopping. Gatlinburg is a bit of a tourist trap as well. If you want to go to the Smokies, go through Weirs Valley and miss both of them. You won't be missing much, honestly.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
ToddyHill
AG
It's Wears Valley Road, but it's pronounced 'Weir's' (like the furniture store in North Dallas).

Regardless, if you go to Cades Cove you'll take that road from either Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge. Cades Cove is the bomb. Plan to spend about 3 hours on the one lane road that loops Cades Cove. Chances are you'll see a Mama bear and her cubs (at least we have about 50% of the time...and we go about three times per year).

I would agree with the tourist trap references...but at the same time it's a great vacation venue for kids. You won't be disappointed if you opt for Dollywood or the Dollywood water park.

As far as hiking, I definitely agree that climbing LeConte is a must do...but honestly, I think it may be a bit rigorous for kids. My wife and I climbed it last June...took 3.5 hours to get to the top, 2.5 hours to get down. One thing I wasn't prepared for was the descent...my knees really took a pounding. Also, plenty of water is a must.

I also agree that Western North Carolina has a different vibe. If so inclined, drive up to Newfound Gap (the state line) and then onto Clingman's Dome (the highest elevation in Tennessee). It's an easy walk from the parking lot to the observation tower. From there, head down to Cherokee, which in my opinion is the biggest tourist trap in the Smokys. Couple things I like about Cherokee...there are Elk in the Cataloochee Valley, and Cherokee is where one picks up the Blue Ridge Parkway. Over in Brevard, NC is Looking Glass Falls, in my opinion the most stunning of all waterfalls in the Smokys.

Back to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge...give serious consideration to taking the coaster at Goats on the Roof (it's on Wears Valley Road). It's a blast and one can apply brakes to lower your speed.

From a food perspective, one of the best burgers/fries I've had is at 3 Jimmy's in Gatlinburg. The Alamo Steakhouse, with locations in both Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg has very good food, and decent steaks.

My personal favorite spot in the Smoky Mountain National park is the Greenbrier section, located just a few miles east of Gatlinburg. I often take my lunch break there (I work in Gatlinburg). Very scenic and you may even see a river otter or two.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
We ate at a restaurant called the Greenbrier in Gatlinburg. Kind of an old, rustic place, but with excellent food and a gracious staff.

We stayed at the Fyremont over in Bryson City. It was too rustic for my wife, but I loved it. The food was awesome, and the hotel was just dripping with character and atmosphere. I could sit on their porch, sip whiskey, and visit with folks for days.

And they also claim to have the coldest pool in the Smokies. We didn't try it! But the kids don't seem to care.
Philo B 93
Thanks to this thread, I spent a week and a lot of money on a trip to Gatlinburg / Smoky Mountains this summer.

Final Verdict: One of the best family vacations we could ask for. Eastern Tennessee and Nashville, where we spent a weekend, were fantastic. We hiked the Smokies, swam in a river in the Smokies, saw waterfalls, went white water rafting, rode a mountain roller coaster, go-carts, drank moonshine, and saw several bears. Our cabin had a pool table and video game machine, which is apparently normal for the area. Preteen kids, wife, and I had a great time.

And I could have walked up and down Broadway Street in Nashville for days.

Hattie B's Hot Chicken was great.

Highly recommended.

The Chicken Ranch
AG
Glad you enjoyed it. We will definitely go back soon.
AgGrad99
AG
Heading there in a couple weeks. Looking forward to it.
TequilaMockingbird
Glad you had fun. I'd live there if I could.
AgGrad99
AG
Anyone ever stayed at the Dreammore Resort?

cgh1999
AG
Having a good time here in Pigeon Forge. Weather hasn't been the best, but we are making do.

Day#1 - hiked laurel falls. Great hike for our family (13g, 10B, 7g). On our way down, we saw a bear cub just off the trail. Then we drive Cade's Cove. This was awful. It rained most of the way and we spent over 3 hours getting there and back listening to bored kids and rain. Went to the show at Comedy Barn which everyone in the family enjoyed.

Day 2 - Treetop Zip Line tour with ClimbWorks. FANTASTIC! Whole family loved it. Followed that with a trip to Clingmans Dome. Got 90% of the way up only to have a storm roll in and drench us. Made it to the top, but visibility was less than 50'.

Day 3 - Did the 4 Chimneys hike. Wow. That was brutal. 1.75 miles, uphill.the.whole.way. With three kids. But, the view at the top was worth it. Took 2 hours up and only 1 going down. Had lunch at the picnic area and the kids played in the mountain stream. Dinner at 3 Jimmy's (great burger) and then Ripleys aquarium. The kids loved the aquarium and the adults were impressed too.

We will see what the next few days hold...

MSFC Aggie
AG
Old Mill Restaurant in Pigeon Forge is great!! Get the corn fritters.
ToddyHill
AG
cgh....

The amount of rain we've received the past few days has been abnormal for this time of year. The rain is supposed to end at some point this morning and then clear. Tomorrow should be hot and humid.

It's neat that you got to experience a burger at 3 Jimmy's. That's my go to place for a great burger and fries.

Shameless plug...check out the Ole Smoky Distillery in Gatlinburg. Suggest you go in the mid to late afternoon (some great live Bluegrass music).

cgh1999
AG
We're headed home today. We were going to spend more time in pigeon Forge, and then Chattanooga, but a 24 hour bug hit the family. We decided to go home. Spent a rainy morning loading the car, and driving through some of the worst storms. Lightning everywhere. No visibility
cgh1999
AG
cgh1999 said:

We're headed home today. We were going to spend more time in pigeon Forge, and then Chattanooga, but a 24 hour bug hit the family

Evidently the bug hit a bunch of families. I got an email from the state of Tennessee health department with a survey asking if anyone in my group was sick last week and when/where we ate.
H-town ag
AG
Following this thread and saw this news story...

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/2018/07/10/health-dept-gatlinburg-climb-works-zipline-canopy-tour-patrons-get-tested-after-illnesses/770600002/
AgGrad99
AG
We just got back. Awesome trip.

Highly recommend going up Anakeesa, and taking in the views and zip lining.

Also, we went white water rafting with Big Bear outfitters in Hartford..they were fantastic.

The DreamMore resort was really nice. It's like a mini Lost Pines....and they give free fast passes and shuttles to the parks.

Really fun trip, and I loved the Smokey Mountains.
cgh1999
AG
H-town ag said:

Following this thread and saw this news story...

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/2018/07/10/health-dept-gatlinburg-climb-works-zipline-canopy-tour-patrons-get-tested-after-illnesses/770600002/
That's where we got it. My wife was the only one who did not drink the water and she never got sick.
H-town ag
AG
AgGrad Do you recall what rating trip you took. Upper Pigeon or Lower? My youngest is 8 and I want to make sure that I don't go too extreme.
AgGrad99
AG
We did Upper.

There are a few spots they need to hold on good...but it's not too hairy. If your nervous, tell your guide and they can take some easier drops (or so we were told).

The lower is pretty much just floating the river in the raft. My youngest is 10, and he was completely fine.
H-town ag
AG
Thanks for the response. We plan to do Upper this week.
AgGrad99
AG
Have fun. It's really really pretty going through there.

After you're done, grab a bite at the Bean Trees, and sit on the back deck (overlooking the river). Neat little hole in the wall restaurant.
ToddyHill
AG
Not that this is any consolation, but Climbworks is refunding money for those who got sick. Hope the tests show it's not pathogenic E. coli.

Here are the symptoms to look for...

8 early signs of E. coli 0157:H7

cgh1999
AG
I called today and got the refund. They were very apologetic.

So far the initial symptoms on the 2-3 days following our zip line adventure has been all that we have noticed.
ToddyHill
AG
Zipline illness the result of Norovirus
AgGrad99
AG
H-town ag said:

how'd it go?
H-town ag
AG
Quote:

Quote:

H-town ag said:
how'd it go?
We did the Upper on Saturday and it was great. We had a great guide with Big Bear. Thanks for the recommendation. We also ate at Bean Tree which was good.

Our guide also told us about a hike nearby called Midnight Hole along Big Creek.We spent the rest of the afternoon there. This is not my video, but you get the feel of it.

AgGrad99
AG
Was your guide Alex?

He was our guide, and mentioned Midnight Hole as well...but I didnt have time. Wish we did. That looks cool.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.