Wifeys 40th BDAY trip

1,188 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Mr. McGibblets
Mr. McGibblets
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking at doing a trip for the wife's 40th bday. We want to spend most of the time in Greece but would do a 2-3 layover in a country before and a country after 5-7 days in Greece.

Looked at stopping in Germany then Greece then the UK but if anyone has any better ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

Trip is set for next year in July s plenty of time to plan.
CBarrett12
AG
Italy? Wife and I stopped over for a couple days in Venice before our Greece trip. Neat place if you haven't seen it.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
CBarrett12 said:

Italy? Wife and I stopped over for a couple days in Venice before our Greece trip. Neat place if you haven't seen it.
What places did you go while you were in Greece?
Greener Acres
AG
If DFW is your airport, you can get a direct DFW-Rome flight on American and save some time traveling. That would allow for a good short hop in Italy.

Germany in the summer is beautiful and if flying out of Texas there are direct lights to Frankfurt whether from DFW/IAH.

Same with Paris as there are many ways to easily get to CDG.

I would recommend going somewhere you can fly direct (or as direct as possible) so that you don't spend that first shorter trip, recovering from a long travel time.

Would you rather spend the shorter portion in one city or see as much as possible in an area?

CBarrett12
AG
Athens, Santorini, and katakolon. Of the 3 the only one I will repeat is Santorini...someday.
dcAg
Vienna wouldnt be a bad place to stop either.

Second Italy or Germany but I would head to Bavaria over the rest of Germany.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
IAH is our airport. We want to spend 2-3 days in the first place. That will give us time to adjust then head to Greece.

I can get a direct flight to Frankfurt and hang there. Then fly to Athens. After Athens for at least 5 days hit up another country before we direct flight home.

Thanks for the info so far!
gindaloon
AG
Frankfurt is nothing special. Much better cities in Europe to go in and out of on the way to Greece.
AggieLong
AG
We flew Turkish airlines from IAH when we went to Greece last year. I wanted to spend a few days in Istanbul, but did not have enough time.

Edit: we did Athens, Crete, Santorini & Mykonos.
Federale01
AG
Yeah, Frankfurt is the European equivalent of Dallas. It's a perfectly fine city but nothining worth traveling there specifically for unless you have business. If you have limited time in Germany do Munich.

I'm flying to Greece in May and we are connecting through vienna.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
Does anyone have a travel agent that can help plan and book this type of trip?
Greener Acres
AG
Frankfurt was just meant as an example of an easy entry point to get into Germany. Agree that it would be a less desirable place to spend time. But there are direct flights on AA and Lufthansa from DFW and Lufthansa flies directly from IAH (and munich as well, right?).

The idea of going to Istanbul sounds really great plus you're already so close, why not?
Mr. McGibblets
AG
Thinking Vienna to Greece to London.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.