Anyone traveled to an Olympics

1,444 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AlphaBean
Endo Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've always been an Olympic buff and am watching and wishing I was in Korea right now. My kids will be 16 and 14 for the Tokyo Olympics in two years and that seems an incredible trip, possibly even worth the cost.

Does anyone have experience with traveling to an Olympics? Is it more crowded, much more crowded, or "OMFG, where did all these people come from" crowded. Same question regarding increased cost, thoughts?
AustinCountyAg
I'd expect it to be a complete joke and waste of money if attending in any place outside of North America or Europe.
ChipFTAC01
AG
My wife (then gf) went to the London Olympics but she's English and her parents still have a place outside of London. They had a great time. I believe they went and saw tennis and beach volleyball and maybe some equestrian stuff. I don't think they saw any of the major events. The ticket situation was a huge cluster, I think do to a major misprint or something.

They had a great time (she went with her folks, sister and bil) but I'd imagine it would have been different if it was a country you weren't familiar with. For me personally I wouldn't want to travel someplace I'd never been (like Tokyo) and not get to experience it when it wasn't in full tourism mode.
Aggie1391
I went to Rio during the 2016 Olympics and it was incredible. it was crowded, but not so much that you couldn't do anything. It also helped that we didn't stay in Copacabana probably. As for cost, the dollar was strong and the Brazil economy was down at the time, so things were cheap for us. It didn't seem like things were marked up much for the Olympic crowd.
Silky Johnston
Why? So the Olympics in the largest and most modern city in the world would be a joke?
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
We were in rio about a month before the olympics started. According to the locals everything was really dead. All of the Olympic "stuff" was pretty much ready to go. It was cool to get to see it without the crowds.
eiggA2002
AG
If there is any city capable of handling absolutely insane amounts of people, it's Tokyo. The best equipped city to host the Olympics by far.
dcAg
I went to the Olympics in Barcelona and it was great. Saw 3 or 4 events and partied with people from all over the world. Very cool atmosphere.
CDub06
AG
Went to Vancouver because it was so convenient. Had an incredible time. Went to 3-4 competitions and several Olympic related events and parties. It was definitely worth it. Though don't expect to get an authentic Tokyo experience. Vancouver was like a different world during the Olympics.
Bachelor99
AG
wait till 2028 and you can go to Los Angeles....
AustinCountyAg
To me yes... everything IMO would be catered to the westerner and would not be a true reflection of what a tourist would normally encounter visiting.
Killin Me Smalls
AG
I went to London in 2012. I think many Londoners left the city/country for the games, so it was less crowded than it could have been.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Tokyo will be very organized, they were planning when I was there 3 years ago. It's a big chance for the Japanese to show off. I'd love to go to the Olympics in a place like Tokyo or Paris becaus I have already been there as a tourist so I wouldn't feel like I was missing much
AlphaBean
AG
Winter Olympics is on our bucket list! Now for it to go somewhere we want to go.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.