Guam/Saipan with 8 hours in Narita coming back

909 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Keeper of The Spirits
1990AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

OK Texags...It's finally my turn to take a site visit to our operations in Guam and Saipan. Flying business class over and back thank goodness. On the way back, I have 8 hours to kill in the Tokyo airport or surrounding areas. I've done Europe a few times, but this will be by far my longest trip.

Tips for the trip and layover?

HollywoodBQ
AG
8 hours will be tight to go into Tokyo because Narita is about an hour train ride away from the centre of the city. So, if you're willing to do it, you should get a good 4 hours to explore.

I recommend Shinjuku. Plenty of people watching, plenty of back alley shops and bars. Also plenty of high end shops too. If you want to look the area up on google maps, look for the Hooters in Shinjuku.

From Shinjuku, you can access the Meiji Shrine and you're a one stop train ride away from Harajuku.

Check the times on the JR Japan Rail site for when the Narita Express train runs on the day you'll be there. The NEX train will take you from the airport to Shinjuku station via Tokyo Station.

You'll need to be sure to get some Yen from an ATM at the airport. It will take 30-45 minutes to get through immigration on arrival and maybe 15 minutes on departure.

Spend any unused Yen on Wasabi flavoured Kit-Kats at Duty Free.
1990AG
AG
Thanks for the tips. I really appreciate the help

Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Would this be your first time in Tokyo? If you've never been before, an 8 hour window from Narita and back would be difficult. Navigating the city isn't that easy, however there isn't much to do around Narita. If you do get a good plan down, I'd also recommend Shinjuku. Walk around, take it in, and grab some food and buy some stuff.
1990AG
AG
it will be my first time in Japan. I understand that there is a close kinda touristy town called Narita City?

http://www.mgnewman.com/Naritax/donarita.html

It's 15 minutes by train. better option?

moses1084ever
AG
There is a fantastic sushi restaurant near the United lounge. Try the river shad.

8 hours is tight. The train system can be challenging to navigate and like others have mentioned, you're an hour away.

The only other option would be to try and fly into Haneda and you'd be just fine a few hours in town.

AlphaBean
AG
8 hrs will be tight for someone whose never been and unfortunately that's not enough time for Mario Kart! You could pony up to get a personal tour of some highlights. They'd meet you at the airport and efficiently get you to several places. Japan-guide.com was absolutely instrumental in planning my time there and IIRC even has links to personal tour guides.
1990AG
AG
Thanks for the intel. In doing a lot more research online, everything agrees with all of you that there isn't enough time to do Tokyo. They are still pointing me to Narita City.

This will be my first time to move from Winter to Summer to Winter in a single week also!
oldschool87
AG
I was born in Guam...
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Here is the plan I'd suggest

Hour 1 get through customs
Hour 2 NEX to Shinjuku
Hour 3 walk through Shinjuku to Yoyogi Park spend 30 mins in Yoyogi
Hour 4 5 min walk to Meiju Jingu, check it out then head back to Shinjuku.
Hour 5 Grab some grub and be on a NEX that's gets you to NRT atleast 1.5 hours before.
Hour 6 arrive NRT, clear customs
Hour 7 blow some coin at duty free
Hours 8 plane takes off

Basically BQs plan
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.