Flyfishing Vacation Ideas

1,264 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LRHF
currie-s
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm planning a flyfishing vacation for the family (4 adults) this year, but we aren't sure where we want to go. A couple years ago we went to Andros In the Bahamas and had a great time. We flyfish quite a bit and prefer fishing without a guide when possible. I am aware that some locations require an outfitter to get you to the best waters. A few places that we have thought of going are Montana, Alaska, and South America.
Let me know if you have been on a flyfishing trip you would recommend. Please include broad and/or specific details.
Thanks!
AustinCountyAg
My best friend went to Russia a few years ago with some of his elite rich friends like himself. I'm assuming it wasn't cheap at all but he enjoyed it.
ghostofbucky
AG
Check out Tailwaters in Dallas. They always have a great line of trips ready to go. Kind of what they're known for.
txaggiefarmer05
AG
Done a couple of these, but solo.

First went to Bozeman, Montana. Fished Gallatin and Yellowstone, and a few smaller creeks closer to town. Good dining, dinosaur museum, Yellowstone NP an hour away. Planned to split it and head to Glacier area, but wildfires and driving fatigue nixed that.

Last year went to Henry's Fork and then made my way to Sun Valley. Almost all fishing, as there's not much else to do. Did do Craters of the Moon National Monument. Fished Henry's, Warm River, Teton R., Silver Creek and Big Wood R. in Sun Valley.

Looking at Utah hopefully in the fall and possibly Great Smoky Mountain NP areas for future trips.
beachfront71
AG

If you stay in the states call my buddy and fellow Ag Rhett at Reel Deal anglers in Jackson Hole.

www.reeldealanglers.com

Nothing but 5 star reviews

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60491-d1024336-Reviews-Reel_Deal_Anglers-Jackson_Jackson_Hole_Wyoming.html

FriscoAggieFan
AG
Family run and mostly do it yourself.
We did the combo floating cabin and Wrangel mtn trip - awesome time.

http://www.alaskawilderness.com
water turkey
I go to Livingston, MT ( 30 miles east of Bozeman) and fish the Yellowstone and Boulder then Stillwater river to the east, Gallitin River to the west.
heyjoe44
AG
South Island - New Zealand ...at some point in your life.
reddog90
AG
Find a location on YellowDog's website and research if you can DIY there.
Rock Ag
AG
Soca Valley Slovenia. Get a guide for one day then DIY the rest.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
heyjoe44 said:

South Island - New Zealand ...at some point in your life.
How is the fishing there? Aren't all the game fish non-native?
wingshoot93
AG
Living here in Northern Patagonia Argentina and there's no shortage of waters to fish - many rivers and a multitude of glacier lakes and streams all within one hour's drive. One to consider.
LRHF
AG
Belize! In the jungle now but step on a bow Wednesday morning to chase bonefish and tarpon (permit as well but not a focus).

Montana is great. Missouri, Rock Creek, Bighorn all fun. So many options in SW MT, you can't really go wrong. If you are in Helena or Craig, check out CrossCurrents. I haven't fished Gallatin or Madison yet (in addition to about 25 other world class rivers in the area) but would hit these as well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.