Royal Caribbean

2,229 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Diggity
TexasAggie73
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For those that have cruise with them out of Galveston, any thoughts or recommendations?
Texas Ag Mom
I went on an RC cruise out of Galveston last March. What exactly do you want to know?
TexasAggie73
AG
How was the food and service. Any special activities you would recommend. I've done a 3 day Disney cruise and a 3day cruise in Greece, so don't have a lot of experience. Would you sail with them again?
helloag99
I've been on holland America, Disney, and royal Caribbean.

I would rank them in that order as well regarding food.

The buffet on royal Caribbean was pretty bad but the food in the dining room was good.

Royal Caribbean is definitely more of a party atmosphere than Disney.
Texas Ag Mom
I guess I am undecided if I am a cruiser or not. LOL! That was my 3rd cruise & the previous were on Carnival. The ship (Liberty of the Seas)was very clean & we had great service in the dining room & from the cabin crew. Food is so subjective & I am actually not hard to please but I was not impressed. As was said before...the buffet was not too good & the dining room food was a little better. I didn't go to any of the specialty restaurants that cost additional. I hope you are in good shape because I spent a week going up & down the stairs. The elevators were slow, packed, & just inconvenient. On the plus side you get your exercise in that way & you don't gain as much weight We went to most if not all of the shows & those were enjoyable. The towel game was in full force at the pool. You would go to get a seat & there were towels everywhere saving seats for hours at a time w/no one sitting. That was frustrating. I would not describe my ship as a "party" but I am sure that varies from sailing to sailing. Late at night the cruise director has a show on TV & he talks about things going on the next day. I got a lot of good info from that show that was not printed on the flyer they leave in your room at night. It was especially helpful info on port days as far as where to be & when. The show replays early in the am as well.
AggieDave02
AG
Liberty of the Seas

Food was not great.
Service in the dining room was terrible. Everywhere else was good.
Nice ship with lots to do.
Kids loved it.
PlanoAg98
AG
Galveston cruises are convenient. For most on this board you would drive to Galveston so the airfare hassle and cost is taken away. Last month I went on RC Vision of the Seas. It's a small older boat and I believe only does 4-5 day cruises. If you're looking for shows/activities, you will quickly get bored on VoS. There's another RC boat (Enchantment of the Seas) that also departs out of Galveston and appears to be very similar to VoS. There's a 3rd RC boat (Liberty of the Seas) that departs out of Galveston and does the 7 day cruises. All 3 boats do the Western Caribbean. I want to try Liberty of the Seas to see if the on board entertainment was any better. I found the food on VoS to be very good.
ToddyHill
AG
I am on the Royal Carribean Independence of the Seas at this moment, sailing back to Ft Lauderdale from the Bahamas. I would agree 100% with what has been posted. These ships are way too big and I felt like a sardine much of the time. Looking forward to getting off this ship tomorrow morning.
ElephantRider
AG
Been on a 7 day on the Liberty of the Seas. It was nice, but 7 days was too long for me. Food was ok. Activities were ok. Honestly, we had more fun on the Carnival cruise we took (4 days on the Carnival Liberty).
Diggity
AG
You should try Harmony of the Seas. Just spent a week with 6,500 fellow passengers.

It actually didn't feel as packed as I expected (most of the time). Best part was the child care so the parents could enjoy themselves.
GoneGirl
AG
Wow. We cruised LOS in mid December and our experience was so different from most of the folks here.

We had a grand suite, the rest of our party were in three junior suites.

We had a wonderful time. The ship is clean, and the staff was super friendly.

The Windjammer buffet is like any other "all-inclusive" buffet. It's not super, but what we ate was good, and it was a pleasant atmosphere.

In the main dining room was where they shined though. We had a waiter and his assistant that moved mountains for us. We were a party of 9, and they remembered everyone's favorite drinks, our names, and even how we liked our meat cooked. They had my kid's drinks ready as soon as we sat down. They delivered our drinks from the bar and got refills. The food was wonderful and if there was anything we didn't like, it was swept away and something new was in its place within minutes. My oldest son and my brother seemed to be competing with who could order more things, and my son never ate less than two appetizers and two deserts each night. My youngest received "special" desserts almost every night - everything from smiley face brownies to ice cream and cookies.

Our waiter brought out several extra lobster tails to our table one night, and would bring out plates of food for us to sample. His assistant made several excellent wine pairing suggestions.

Staying in a suit gave us access to reserved deck chairs with a great view of the pool and the video screen, and in close proximity to a bar.

With the exception of one very bad show (Donovan and Rebecca), the rest were great. We went scuba diving in Cozumel, skipped Cayman Islands because it was too rough for the tenders, and went horseback riding in Jamaica.

Our cabin was amazing and mornings were a great time to relax on our balcony and watch the sun rise. After dinner and evening entertainment, we'd pick up a couple of drinks and go sit on it again and unwind. It was so peaceful, I seriously thought about sleeping out there a couple of times.

Late night runs to Sorrentos Pizza where we'd grab a few slices, then sit out in front of the pub across the promenade and just watch people while we drank beer.

Bonus to the suites too - you get priority boarding and de-boarding. Our concierge took us off the ship and got us a porter who whisked us through customs.

The whole thing was wonderful. Only bad experience was Johnny Rockets. They sucked.

Would definitely do again.
Diggity
AG
We had a pretty similar experience Elsie. The staff in the main dining room will bend over backwards for you.

The lunch buffet was hit and miss but they had some good options.

Entertainment was good for the most part.

Our ship was basically brand new and the staff was really friendly so no complaints there

The USVI stop wasn't great as they just take you to the tourist zone. We should have researched that more and gone somewhere nicer.

San Juan was really nice but we only had half a day there. Wish that could have been reversed.

I wasn't looking forward to the company town stop in Haiti but it was actually a lot of fun for the kids. They got to play in the water and the parents could take advantage of the unlimited drinks package.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.