Jackson hole, WY, summer

1,899 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by beachfront71
htownaggie09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Contemplating going no kids! Favorite places to stay and things to do?
htxag09
AG
We went a couple years ago in the summer, don't remember the specific time off the top of my head, and we loved it. We didn't look too much into lodging, just stayed at a Hilton hotel off points. We did lots of hiking, I think 3 days worth, a day of fly fishing with a guide, and a day of just hanging out in Jackson Hole. Next time I think I'll add more time and do Yellowstone, but we loved the trip even without it.
Towns03
AG
OP, did you take the trip? Can you offer a report?

my wife and I are thinking about going in early August. Where's the best place to stay? nicest rooms? are any of the good hotels walking distance from fishing holes (i'm planning on bringing a travel fishing rod). what's the trade off from staying in town vs. someplace else??

TIA
Towns03
AG
What I came up with after talking with some people in the know:

there are two main areas in which to stay, Teton Village and the town of Jackson Hole.

considerations:
1) they're about 20 min drive apart.
2) Jackson has way more shops and small places to eat; Teton has restaurants but they're all sit-down
3) Jackson is a real city/town; Teton is the condo/house/ski area up the mountainside and is much quieter
4) there is only one direct flight from IAH to JAC a week and one direct return a week.

We picked a ski hotel called Snow King in Jackson. I was told it's walking distance to everything in Jackson (food/shopping) but it has a woody feel, maybe because it looks up the side of a mountain with trails, etc. Snow King has regular hotel rooms and Kitchen/livingroom style residences.

I'll report back in Aug or Sept.
johnrth
Snow King is a good location. I've never stayed there but you do have the Alpine slide, the cowboy coaster, a ropes course and hiking all right there. And i believe the rodeo areana is right down the street. They hold a rodeo every Wednesday Friday and Saturday night.
Towns03
AG
where do you normally stay? and recs for hiking/swimming/eating?
johnrth
My family has a house just outside of town so I don't really know about lodging other than relative locations.

As for food my personal preferences, in no particular order, the bunnery (on Cache St. It's sort of hidden), Norah's fish Creek inn (hwy 22 in Wilson), the mangy moose (Teton village), dornans (in moose wy) I haven't been there but I've heard a place called The Bird is really good. Its off 191 just south of town. There is also a covered wagon dinner show thing with Bar T 5. They take you out to the place you eat in a covered wagon and if I remember correctly Indians come charging out "to attack" the wagons. I haven't been since I was about 6 or 7 but I lost my **** when that happened. And then grab a waffle at Corbets cabin on the top of Rendezvous Peak.

Hiking the best and closest to town will be anything in the Grand Teton National Park. There's one hike I want to do but don't think I'll be able to when I'm up there next week but it's the wind cave trail. It's accessible from Driggs Idaho. https://www.theoutbound.com/wyoming/hiking/hike-darby-canyon-to-the-wind-cave

Swimming not too sure. I think some of the lakes in GTNP allow swimming, and I've heard of and seen videos of people tubing Flat Creek that goes right through town. Also there's granite hot springs southeast of town about an hr drive
beachfront71
AG

If your looking to fish call my friend and fellow Ag Rhett at Reel Deal Anglers and you won't be dissapoonted..

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.