Bahamas questions for May

6,254 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by nosoupforyou
Potcake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife doesn't want to go to BVI/VI this soon after the hurricanes, we're going to try the Bahamas (we've already been to Provo in T&C). Picking an island out of hundreds is a bit daunting. No AI's, no Atlantis, etc. In early stages of looking, we're considering Eleuthera or Exuma. We're looking to chill, beaches, SUP board, daytrip to swimming pigs, and eat/drink (nightlife not a necessity).

Anyone that has done non-Atlantis/Nassau Bahamas have any thoughts on these two islands or recommend another? Thanks
Ag CPA
AG
I'm interested in this as well, we want to try something besides Nassau but nothing's really caught our eye over the years (besides Pig Beach ). More interested in a family versus a couples destination at this point.
stardustag
AG
I am interested in this as well. Really would love to go to Exuma but don't know where to even begin!
turfaggie24
AG
Went to Sandals Exuma and loved it. Don't go unless you do the tour with Pig Beach, lizards at the private islands, sand bar in the middle of the ocean and sharks on the pier. The all-inclusive resort was A's across the board except for the food (think Cheddars). Overall GREAT trip!
CoppellAg93
AG
I recommend Sandals Emerald Bay in Great Exuma as well. Pretty much the best all-inclusive resort my wife and I have stayed at. We went in May 2016 for our 15th anniversary and had a blast. We thought the food was very good - many different types of food to choose from. We also did the swimming with the pigs tour (a must). As for nightlife, not too much going on - but they did have a guy in one of the bars that played piano sing-a-long style - he was very entertaining. The on-site pub also had a DJ playing in the late evenings. The beach is awesome and was mostly deserted - never more than 20 people on the mile long stretch.

I can't recommend this place enough.
Texas Ag Mom
I am interested in this area also but have no interest in AI.
Cooter00
Swimming pigs really narrows it down
Sandals is AI. A great option next door at Grand Isle Resort though. Been twice. Also great golf course.
Been to Eleuthera as well. Resort options are smaller here and more spread out. If you find something like The Cove in the north part of the island, you can take some great day trips to Harbour Island and Spanish Wells. No golf. I actually did vrbo in Spanish Wells if you want to really get away.
Cooter00
On second thought just do Grand Isle in Exuma. I try to vacation in a different place each year, but this is the one place we've repeated (and would do again).
Rooms are very nice and large.
Exuma is terrific. Do the pigs tour (although the pigs are like the 3rd or 4th best part of the tour - make sure it is the full day tour)
Rent a car and explore the best beaches you'll see anywhere.
Rent a boat for the day.
Post removed:
by user
Potcake
AG
Don't ever change TexAgs. OP (me) asked for non-AI suggestions and most suggestions were AI.
CoppellAg93
AG
Potcake said:

Don't ever change TexAgs. OP (me) asked for non-AI suggestions and most suggestions were AI.
My bad - I missed that part of your post. Good luck in your search.
Potcake
AG
I was busting balls. It happens on most if the boards here.
Burn-It
AG
We are looking at the Bahamas for a July trip. We usually take the kids, plus each takes a friend. I looked at VRBO and found a few cool houses. What says TexAgs for best islands in the Bahamas (Exuma, Little Exuma, Nassau, ...)?
AKA 13-0
Tatem
Bimini was amazing last year
Potcake
AG
We decided on a house on Eleuthera. Going in May. Looking forward to a lowkey and chill getaway.
gindaloon
AG
http://www.pinksandsresort.com/
Cooter00
Pro tip - Take a 1/2 day with Capt Neilly (spanishwellsfishing.com) early in your stay. Plenty of fish to eat the remainder of your vacation. He can also take you to the sandbar and snorkeling. According to his webpage, they now have some pigs in SW?
Potcake
AG
I've been reading some Eleuthera forums and there is an expat poster, generally a jackass trying to dissuade tourism, that has mentioned swimming pigs are being introduced all over the Bahamas. Sadly, he is probably correct on this one.

We'll look into the fishing.
AggieLong
AG
We loved our trip to Exuma a few years ago. We rented a VRBO with some friends right on the beach just north of Georgetown.

Some highlights:
Island hopping (swimming pigs, Stanley Cay Yacht Club, Thunderball Grotto)
Chat N Chill pig roast (Sundays)
Tropic of Cancer Beach (eat at Santana's grill)
Scuba diving
Fishing
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13
nosoupforyou
AG
did VRBO in Belize and it was a great trip - was thinking about this in Exuma for June 2019 - any location recommendations for my trip - will be just me and the wife
nosoupforyou
AG
Will check it out!

Where did you stay? Just me and the Mrs planning a trip - not looking for bars and nightlife

Appreciate the advice
nosoupforyou
AG
How was the trip!? Where exactly did you stay? Any things you would recommend or not recommend?
Potcake
AG
We chose Governor's Harbour on Eleuthera. Eleuthera is 100 miles and 2-3 miles wide, GH is midway.

There are so many beach choices, we went in May, so sometimes we were only ones there. The water is beautiful and calm on the Cuba side. The sand is more pink and soft on the Atlantic side.

The island is laidback but there are plenty of restaurants and bars, not a wild party atmosphere though. The locals are probably the friendliest out of all the Caribbean islands (Bahamas are not technically Caribbean) we have been to. Much more friendly than their neighbor T&C. The one big difference is the elevation. The Bahamas don't have the grand views of the more hilly islands of the down islands. Granted, the driving is much less stressfull.
Cooter00
This is very easy. Exuma is a great island.
Now for your lodging choice.
If you are an AI type couple, go with Sandals.
If you like non-AI, go with Grand Isle.
If you like to go it alone, find a VRBO.
chansonjr
AG
We love the Abacos. we stay in Marsh Harbour, Hope Town or Elbow Cay.
texas.aggie.2010
Have heard great things about http://www.bahamascastaway.com is on my list
nosoupforyou
AG
We have had success finding a cheaper VRBO vs. the pricey resorts.. I checked and there are many options in the $150 range per night but - what part of the island do we want to be in - near the airport? up by the pigs? or south on Little Exuma?

also - did you have a charter you recommend to snorkel and see everything? I'm leaning toward Sugar Adventure Company but would like to compare
nosoupforyou
AG
tur***gie24 said:

Went to Sandals Exuma and loved it. Don't go unless you do the tour with Pig Beach, lizards at the private islands, sand bar in the middle of the ocean and sharks on the pier. The all-inclusive resort was A's across the board except for the food (think Cheddars). Overall GREAT trip!
planning my trip now for June - which tour operator did you use? Any other suggestions for filling up 4 days of rest and activities?
nosoupforyou
AG
FYI - I just booked this place near Moriah Harbour Cay - about 20 minutes south of George Town - about $220 a night for my wife and I

https://harborviewexuma.com/about-us/

working on my itinerary to fill in the time - Mon-Fri in late June while the kids are at Pine Cove!

Appreciate any more ideas from others that have been

nosoupforyou
AG
update from Exuma since we got back on Friday- great trip!! I can't recommend it enough for those of you that can get there - I used my United Airline miles so free flights were great way to start. We did have flight delays on both ends of the trip so it was stressful.. you fly Houston to Ft. Lauderdale then 90 minute flight to Exuma.

we stayed on the south side of Great Exuma in the Hartswell area - about 15 minutes south of George Town at www.harbourviewexuma.com - amazing place and they let you use their kayak to get to Moriah Cay which is an uninhabited island that you never see anyone on - it's got an awesome sandbar at low tide and great, private beach. It's an expat couple from England - they live downstairs and rent the private upstairs area to visitors so they help you with planning, etc.

Favorite activities were similar to the poster above:
  • Roberts Adventures for the Pig tour, Iguana island was really cool too, Thunderball Grotto was awesome but be sure to bring an underwater camera, mile long sandbar, and more - full day tour!
  • Minn's Water Sports in George Town - rent a boat for the day and snorkel/beach at your own pace all by yourself - the Man-O-War Cay Sandbar was the best! find out when low tide is and get there an hour early. Loved hanging out at Chat-N-Chill and snorkeling a few spots.
  • Afternoon drinks and Dinner at the Rusty Anchor at February Point - less expensive than Grand Isle and it was closer to our VRBO but both were good - we needed shade and they had music and drinks/food - very relaxing

The rental car was an adventure in itself - the steering wheel is on the right side of the car and you drive on the left side of the road (KEEP LEFT!) - and the roads are fine, until they aren't - pot holes were everywhere so you're cruising along and BAM you hit it or you swerve to miss it - that was stressful.

They said the season was ending last week as they prepare for hurricane season - it's much more crowded December until April is high season for them, but we liked the warmer water but it was 88-90 degrees so it was hot after a while and we needed shade.

high recommend!!!
Big Al 1992
AG
PM sent
nosoupforyou
AG
how was you trip??!!
nosoupforyou
AG
yeah so... our Cruise for Spring Break 2021 was cancelled... so I checked around and got a great price on a flight from Hou to FLL (United and used points) and FLL to George Town, Exuma Bahamas! Taking the wife and this time the 4 kids!

The island is open - just show a negative COVID test from 5 days before you leave and you're good.

If you stay longer than 4 nights, (we are staying exactly 4) then you have to get a Rapid Test in Exuma before returning to the US, but we're not so no issues there

anyone else going for it?!! My second time there and can't wait
Tabasco
AG
How much was your flight if you do t mind me asking. Is this in March for spring break?
nosoupforyou
AG
Tabasco said:

How much was your flight if you do t mind me asking. Is this in March for spring break?

I got a Deal price on United to FLL, and then used some flight refund passes I had so it was $77 per ticket I think? It was great the random way it worked out when I found it on United

Then it was $303.00 I think for flights on Silver Airlines round trip.

Going on a Tuesday during Spring Break but I don't care what day, just wanted to get there cheap

I was actually thinking about driving to Atlanta or all the way to Fort Lauderdale to save flight money, (6 tickets) but found that super cheap price and went with that
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.