Charleston, SC Recommendations

2,537 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TXAG 05
Burn-It
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll be in Charleston, SC in March for work and it happens to coincide with our anniversary. I'm considering bringing the rib the weekend before if there are any legit cool stuff to see and do. Any recommendations?
AKA 13-0
AustinCountyAg
Stroll king street shops. Tons of historic buildings/houses, boat ferry rides, world class restaurants everywhere..... their is a reason it is constantly ranked as best travel city in the USA

My wife and I loved it. If staying downtown it would be the perfect little trip for an extended weekend
Bulldog73
AG
It was an awesome town to just stroll around. We also rented a car and drove to some of the beaches, and the food was incredible. Definitely worth it if you can swing it.
anaggiemom
S
Take a carriage ride around town.
thisguy05
AG
Best food city in America. Go to McCrady's for your anniversary.
mongey donk
AG
Lots if cool historic sites. Fort Sumter tour is pretty cool to do at least once. Drink a Palmetto beer on the fairy ride out there.

Fleet Landing is one of our favorite restaurants. If the weather is nice, eat outside on the water. Make reservations on the weekend.

Disco Stu
AG
Rooftop bar at the Vendue Inn at sunset.
AustinCountyAg
Disco Stu said:

Rooftop bar at the Vendue Inn at sunset.
wife and I stayed there and loved it. We made the mistake of going to the bar one evening around ten o'clock. A complete cluster. Went back the next afternoon around three and it was completely empty. We had the entire top level to ourselves..... now that was cool
Ag_N_Houston
AG
We stayed at Vendue for our anniversary last July. I really enjoyed the hotel and location.

Definitely eat outside at Fleet Landing.
Shooter McGavin
AG
A walking tour by Tommy.

Enjoyed that the most of anything.
irish pete ag06
AG
All great recs on this thread. Food is off the charts good. Best grits I've ever eaten. Very awesome history in that town. Loved the carriage ride.
AustinCountyAg
poogans porch was very good, but my best meal of the trip was at Blossom. Blackend Catfish served over shrimp and grits with a pimento cheese sauce on top. **** that was good.
HawthornAggie
AG
Another vote for poogans porch. Their brunch is outstanding.

The wife and I signed up for a historical pub crawl and that was worth every penny. Got to visit some great local bars that we probably would not have found on our own and learned alot about the history of Charleston.
Wicked Good Ag
Do you know the name of the business that ran the pub crawl? We will be going again through Charleston for a couple of days this summer again so I am interested
Texmid
AG
We stayed at the Wentworth Mansion. It was awesome. Walking distance to all the cool stuff.
Always_Right
AG
Definitely take a carriage ride through town, you really learn a lot about Charleston history. They also have some boats you can take around the harbor. You can visit Fort Sumter and there are quite a few plantations to visit as well.
HawthornAggie
AG
The Original Pub Tour of Charelston.

The wife and I went and it ended up being just us and the tour guide as the rest of the group had cancelled that day. So I'm not sure how large the groups can get but I would imagine the more the merrier rule applies to pub crawls! Enjoy!
Wicked Good Ag
HawthornAggie said:

The Original Pub Tour of Charelston.

The wife and I went and it ended up being just us and the tour guide as the rest of the group had cancelled that day. So I'm not sure how large the groups can get but I would imagine the more the merrier rule applies to pub crawls! Enjoy!

Thanks. We will probably do this if kids are not in tow
Loved it last time and when not if we go back I probably won't eat at the same places because sooooo many to choose from.
Was this crawl on upper king street or in the historic district ?
TXAG 05
AG
Will be in Charleston during 4th of July week, just trying to get all our meals scheduled out. All the places look so good its hard narrowing everything down.
thisguy05
AG
I again recommend McCrady's, along with FIG and Husk.
AustinCountyAg
Poogans Porch, magnolia, Blossom, Fleet Landing. You seriously can't go wrong. My suggestion is look at menus online and narrow from there.

FWIW to this day the best meal I've ever had is still the Blackened Catfish served over shrimp and grits at Blossom.
Ag_N_Houston
AG
That is pretty much the exact list of places we ate. Those do not disappoint.
Ag_07
AG
We had numerous great meals but the few that stood out were HUSK for a nice awesome dinner, The Ordinary for seafood and raw bar, and Hominy Grill for breakfast.

The detached bar at HUSK is also really good so show up early or stay after dinner for a drink or two. Also Prohibition on King Street served up some nice drinks.
TXAG 05
AG
Already have reservations for Poogans, Blossom, and Fleet. Planning Hominy for breakfast one of the mornings. Husk is booked up already, but will definitely try out the bar.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.