Need advice on 4 days in Disney World with young kids

4,269 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by DallasAggie97
DallasAggie97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Should we stay in resort?
On the monorail?

Park hop or just one park a day?

We have 4 year old twins.

What are your experiences?
TXTransplant
Took my son a couple of times when he was a similar age. Stayed on-site but not at a monorail resort. Did not park hop. At that age, there is more than enough to do for the day at one park. Park hopper tickets add a lot to the cost, and travel time between the parks eats into your day. If you're going for four days, just do one day at each park.
Mustang1
AG
One park/day should be enough. Monorail resorts are nice but realllllyyyyy pricey. Bus system works pretty well. What's your budget?
Whachutalnbout Willys
AG
- Monorail resort or Wilderness Lodge (boat access to Magic Kingdom)
- Alternatively book a savanna room at the Animal Kingdom Lodge
- One park per day
- Get there at park opening and take an afternoon break back at the resort.
- Go back to the same park later in the day
- Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom are your best bets for 4 yo's
- Hollywood Studios has lots of construction, so not a full day park. Most of the attractions are probably not appealing to 4 yo's
- Plan a character meal (or 2)
- Google DVC rentals to rent points if you want larger accommodations (all of the Magic Kingdom area resorts and AKL have DVC...Disney Vacation Club...villas). 1 bedroom and up come with a kitchen.
- Use a grocery delivery service like Garden Grocer to deliver any essentials you might need/want but do not want to bring from home. They will even deliver beer and wine.
- Get autograph books for the kids for character autographs
- Book Fastpass+ reservations online to miss having to wait for some of the more popular attractions
IFeelLikeLarryDavid
It all hinges around your budget.

Stay on property if your budget allows. You will get additional benefits like early/late park hours, fast passes, etc. We always stay at the Contemporary which is on the monorail but less expensive than the other monorail resorts. I've never had any complaints.

I think the park hopper is a waste of money. There is enough at each park to keep you busy for the entire day.
lil99chris
AG
Staying on the monorail is nice (there are also a few more perks for staying at a Deluxe resort), but like many have said it comes with a jump in pricing.

With 4 year olds, park hopping is not going to be worth the added cost. Stick to one park a day and make the most out of it.
DallasAggie97
AG
I know that Magic Kingdom has the nightly fireworks show. Do any of the other parks have anything similar?
lil99chris
AG
Each park has nightly shows.

Magic Kingdom
-https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/entertainment/magic-kingdom/once-upon-a-time-castle-show/
-https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/entertainment/magic-kingdom/happily-ever-after-fireworks/

Hollywood Studios
-https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/entertainment/hollywood-studios/star-wars-galactic-spectacular/
-https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/entertainment/hollywood-studios/fantasmic/
-https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/entertainment/hollywood-studios/disney-movie-magic/ (not fireworks)

EPCOT
-https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/entertainment/epcot/illuminations-reflections-of-earth/

Animal Kingdom
-https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/entertainment/animal-kingdom/rivers-of-light/
-https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/entertainment/animal-kingdom/tree-of-life-nighttime-awakenings/

Link to all - https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/entertainment/#/fireworks,nighttime-spectacular/
Ag CPA
AG
If you are on a budget the Swan and Dolphin are affordable options. They are the on-property convention hotels and you can walk to Epcot, Hollywood Studios and the Boardwalk area (or take the ferry that hits all of them); busses run directly to the other parks.

We always get park hoppers; like the flexibility of working around the crowds at the MC and visiting other parks in the afternoons when things get crazy or going back at night for the parades and fireworks.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Bus works effectively. We stayed at Beach Club a few years ago (deluxe adjacent to Epcot, but not monorail). At that age, I'd also echo that Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom are probably the best fits. Not to say that there weren't decent options for little ones at Hollywood Studios, but some of the key aspects definitely steer toward the older kid. Also to echo above, getting there when they open, afternoon rest, and then figuring out what everyone was up for in the evening worked best for us. At that age and energy level, I don't think a park hopper is worth it either. But we did it anyway. YOLO.

This is a decent evaluation of the impact of hopper vs. base.

https://www.undercovertourist.com/blog/to-hop-or-not-to-hop-magic-your-way-vs-park-hopper/
Goose
AG
With young kids, Contemporary is hard to beat because you can walk to/from Magic Kingdom.
longeryak
For four days with four year olds I'd do 2 days at MK, 1 at AK, and 1 at Epcot. With all the construction at HS there is basicly only 2 rides for them. Now if your not going until June or later Toy Story land will be open.

Park Hoppers aren't necessary.
The Grinder (99)
AG
I think 4 is a great age to take the kids. You may be surprised to find how much your kids will enjoy the autograph signings. In case you don't know, there are several designated areas in each park for character signing (grouped by themes [Mickey; Winnie the pooh; Frozen, etc...]). I will never forget the sheer joy on my 4-year-old's face when she was getting autographs from Mickey and the gang. I would plan some time for that each day.

Number one tip: go early (rope drop). You will get more done before 11 than you could get done the rest of they day. I recommend planning your day by going early, ride several of the rides early while the line is short, then by mid-late morning, have some fast passes to finish that part of the day. We really loosen up on ice cream, popcorn and sodas during this part of the day... it seems to keep the kids "in the game" better. Then maybe break for lunch or to go to the hotel's pool for a bit. This break is huge. Even a 4 year old that doesn't still nap may need a nap and will certainly need a break from the overstimulation. Getting to the resort to decompress and grab some food for a few hours really makes the trip more enjoyable. Then you can go back in the evening for to enjoy the park at a more leisurely pace knowing you've already ridden most of the good stuff. End the night with the firework show and I'd say your family would have had a successful day.

consider using an official Disney travel agent. They are free and can help you with a lot of information that you might not know if you aren't real familiar with Disney.

use tourplanning.com; it is 12 dollars and well worth it. You will get it free if you use an official Disney travel agent. mapping out the activities to do is very helpful. They help do it in a way that makes sense so you aren't walking back and forth across the park too much. That can be a time killer. If nothing else, make a tour plan for the magic kingdom. There is so many rides there you will never get to do everything without a plan.

If you can afford it, the Contemporary is great for families with kids this age. The biggest advantage in my mind is being able to walk to and form the Magic kingdom. You will be absolutely amazed at how stressful some parts of your day there can be. In a very short period of time it seems your kids (maybe an adult ; ) just hits the end and needs a break. This is most likely at the Magic Kingdom. It is great but can be overwhelming if you try to take it all in at once without a break. Having the option to just take a 5-10 min walk to your room is sooo much nicer than fighting the lines for a bus when you're group is hangry. This in my mind is what sets the Contemporary apart from all other resorts. Even the other monorail resorts. Sometimes the line for the monorail is long or there simply isn't a train there and you may wait a while, then you have to make 2, 3 or 4 stops to get to your hotel. This makes the Contemporary worth more money.

Everyone is going to have a lot of opinions about a park you can skip. I've read several that say to skip Hollywood. I would suggest you go to all 4 on your first trip. I personally love Hollywood. And even though your kids will not ride the two big rides (that are currently) available there (Tower of terror and Rockin rollercoaster), it is still well worth it for our family. Toy story is possibly the best ride in all of WDW for kids that age. There is also several shows that 4 year olds will love (Frozen, Ariel, Beauty and the Beast and Disney Junior, I mean come on!). And if you personally like roller coasters, then jump in the single riders line for Rockin Roller coaster. My wife and I would do that until our kids could ride it. WHile one rode, the other just sat with them for icecream. Single riders only takes a few minutes.

You walk A LOT! My kids are very active so I couldn't understand why they were lagging behind by the end of the day (especially EPCOT). Well, its pretty simple, we walked close to 14 miles each day! Even with 4 year olds, you may not want to rule out renting a stroller. They have them for a few bucks at the entrance of each park. They are made for older kids and could come in handy if you notice them getting really tired. They are easy to just jump in and out of too (they aren't really strollers in a traditional sense, more like a rolling platform with shade.

At 4 I would plan on being at the park when it opens. We use the beginning of the day to get our rides done (with fast passes for later morning/early afternoon). At MK we usually stay to watch the parade at 2 and then head back to our hotel. Then we relax, maybe swim, maybe a quick nap, or a beer, whatever. We may have an early character dinner (1900 park fare is a good one for girls) then head back to a park for a couple of rides with short lines; or just to walk around and enjoy the place. We put very little pressure on ourselves to "do things" in the evening. We may do some of the less popular or fairly quick things at this part of the day but we don't kill ourselves in long lines at this time (things like Magic Kingdom's Tiki room, Ariel's ride, small world, mickey's philharmagic, the laugh floor, etc...) We then find a good place to watch the fireworks.

Each park has an evening show. In all the times I've gone, Ive never stayed for the animal kingdom show. I haven't heard good things. And, like I said before, people have different opinions about parks; mine is that AK is my least favorite. We love the Magic Kingdom show. The show there was updated this year and now it is more important to have a view of the entire castle. Before it was mainly a firework show up in the sky. Now that isn't the case. You will need to have a good view of the caste or you will need to find a way to hold two 4 year olds on your shoulder so they can see.

I personally love the show at Epcot. You can see it from anywhere around the lake (in the center of the world showcase), so it never feels quite as crowded as magic kingdom. Granted, it is not quite as entertaining as MK's show, and it is a bit dated, but I still love it. Personally I find it to be more accommodating night. You can go find a place (I like the benches in Germany) and sit there before the show starts. We like to get those big german pretzels for everyone to share and my wife and I get a couple of beers and just relax and wait for the show.

Ok, If you possibly made it this far. You first need to decide when to go. since your kids aren't in school, you should REALLY think about not going during peak times (spring break, Chirstmas) and don't go when it is too hot (pretty much don't go July through Sept, june is probably not good either). Then Where to stay. Ive been too many times, but I'm convinced there is no perfect place. The monorail parks are probably the closest to perfect. I think the contemporary is the best of those. Second to the monorail parks are the ones behind Epcot (Boardwalk area). Then decide on meal plan or not and book your character meals. There are a lot of popular meals that you will need to book on the first day you can (Be our guest; cinderella, chef mickey) and some that don't go quite as fast (1900 park fare). Then come up with an itinerary for where you will be each day. I would suggest giving some preference to the park that has the EARLY morning extra magic hours. I personally don't find any value in the parks that stay open late, especially with 4 year olds. Once you know where you will be, make a plan on touring plans. Then when your are first able to, make fast passes for what tourplans suggest. I personally would suggest late morning fast passes. You should be able to ride some of the popular rides fairly quickly first thing in the morning and not have to use a fast pass then. It would be a waste to use a fast pass for Peter pan, or toy story at 9 am when you could have gotten on the ride in 15 minutes wait time at 9 am anyway. use that time of day to ride the things you didn't get fast-passes for.

Lastly, all the parks serve alcohol except Magic Kingdom... Plan accordingly

ok, I'm done... for now ; )
Whachutalnbout Willys
AG
I second the touring plans.com subscription. following one of their plans or creating your own will save tons of time waiting in lines.
Gig-Em2003
AG
A few things i am passionate about after taking a 7 and 4 year old a year ago:

- Rent a double stroller through a Local company and have it delivered to your hotel

- Do NOT mess with a meal plan. An unnecessary added stress. It will not save you a material amount of money and there's a decent chance it will cost you.

- Do NOT park hop

- Get there early

- Become a Fast Pass master; check the app frequently and make sure you are aware of your app settings and filters as it will leave out available rides if you aren't careful

- Don't stress to much about where you stay. They are all great for the most part and riding a bus isn't that bad.

- Have fun and don't stress! It won't go exactly as you plan it but you will have a blast!
PetroAg87
AG
I agree with Gig-Em2003 that a stroller is imperative at that age. Not only does it save them from having to walk, or you from having to carry them, but it also gives them a place to crash/rest in between attractions.

With regards to hotels, on the mono-rail is great, but prices can be tough. We have stayed multiple times at the Port Orleans - French Quarter Resort. It is a moderate level hotel so a bit cheaper, kids always loved the swimming pool with a dragon slide, most of the rooms aren't too far from the pool, lobby, bus stop, etc., and unless things have changed recently, the bus service was pretty good. The location is central enough, that none of the parks are too far away.

I'll second everyone who has suggested leaving the resort for a quick nap or swim in the afternoon. This is a vital recharge opportunity for everyone involved. As people and kids get exhausted, it is so easy for everyone to get cranky and short tempered.

Other than naps, the biggest point of advice that my family has learned: Regardless of the park, don't be in a huge rush to leave the park after the big fireworks/show is finished. Everyone makes a mad dash for the exits and you end up shoulder to shoulder with massive crowds who are all heading towards the same bus/monorail stations to get home. Instead, stay where you are and let the mass of people leave. You can then make a casual stroll towards the exit. The parks will tend to be empty, quite and peaceful; you won't have to wait as long to get back to your hotel, and your child will get a bit more of that "magic" as you make a relaxing, casual stroll out of the park.

Oh and take lots of pictures. A four year old may not remember much, but they'll enjoy the "memories" that are created from those pictures.
Humorous Username
AG
Gig-Em2003 said:

A few things i am passionate about after taking a 7 and 4 year old a year ago:

- Rent a double stroller through a Local company and have it delivered to your hotel

- Do NOT mess with a meal plan. An unnecessary added stress. It will not save you a material amount of money and there's a decent chance it will cost you.

- Do NOT park hop

- Get there early

- Become a Fast Pass master; check the app frequently and make sure you are aware of your app settings and filters as it will leave out available rides if you aren't careful

- Don't stress to much about where you stay. They are all great for the most part and riding a bus isn't that bad.

- Have fun and don't stress! It won't go exactly as you plan it but you will have a blast!

Did the same thing last Spring Break. Agree with all of those points.
pasquale
AG
Don't forget to rent a double stroller
DallasAggie97
AG
This is way past due, but thank you Ags!

We had a great time (in March.)

LilChris99 really helped us out a ton. Thanks Chris for your patience.

About our trip:

We took our own stroller and it was very handy. Great tip.

I ignored advice and got park hoppers. I really should have listened to everyone.

My kids LOVED Hollywood Studios. They're really into Star Wars (like their dad). They did the Jedi Training and loved the Star Wars show.

The character meals were awesome. I'll never forget the look on my daughter's face when she met Belle, Snow White, and all of the princesses at our first character dinner.

Thanks again everyone. Gig 'em!
lil99chris
AG
Thanks for the kind words! Glad to hear your family enjoyed the trip. I am headed back in early-September, looking forward to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party and Epcot's Food & Wine Festival!
DallasAggie97
AG
Chris helped us out a ton, again. We just planned another trip with his help.

I highly recommend him.

Thanks Chris!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.