Platinum Pro AA - 4 legs shy

1,768 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Ag CPA
Texgal65
How long do you want to ignore this user?
i didn't realize I would be this close at the end of the year. I could have been more creative with my travels throughout the year. Is it worth it to book a quick trip to get those legs? I'm debating.....
aggiejumper
AG
Yes in my opinion. Lots more upgrades should clear now that there's a qualifying dollar requirement. No more cheap mileage runs to qualify means less of the points guy followers using the rules to their advantage. You can find cheap fares right now. SAT to PHX was $67 each way and purchased 7 days before travel.
Ag CPA
AG
If you are that close I would go ahead and do it, lots of dirt cheap fares this month so it shouldn't set you back much.

I'm platinum pro right now and the biggest perk is the unlimited upgrades in addition to getting higher in the pecking order as mentioned.
AustinScubaAg
AG
Honestly depends on where you typically fly. I am Exec Plat but go to San Jose a lot and still struggle to upgrade on the routes from austin. Unlimited is only good if you can clear.
Texgal65
I normally fly out of Waco and connect thru DFW. I found a trip to Kansas City that leaves and returns on the same day for a little over $200. I'm going to keep searching. Thanks for the advice!
Matsui
AG
Cheap. Do it.
aggiejumper
AG
Do it, probably one of the cheapest fares RT out of Waco in a while.
bthotugigem05
AG
Texgal65 said:

I normally fly out of Waco and connect thru DFW. I found a trip to Kansas City that leaves and returns on the same day for a little over $200. I'm going to keep searching. Thanks for the advice!
Definitely do that, I don't think you'll find much better this time of year.
Malachi Constant
AG
Found this thread on a google search. I came across an interesting article from thepointsguy that tries to apply a dollar value to each of the status levels.

In this case, Platinum Pro is 'worth' $3400 and platinum is 'worth' '$2200, so it's a no-brainer if you're close toward the end of the year.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/what-is-aa-elite-status-worth/
Ag CPA
AG
I'm probably dropping from Exec Platinum to Platinum next year; I'll let you know if it sucks.
AlphaBean
AG
Ag CPA said:

I'm probably dropping from Exec Platinum to Platinum next year; I'll let you know if it sucks.

It sucks. Only difference from gold is boarding order and aaward accumulation. I've never cleared on anything over 500 miles. My platinum pro husband has cleared on nearly every flight.
Ag CPA
AG
I do like still getting the MCE seats for free, especially when traveling with the family. But I agree, upgrades will probably a thing of the past on most flights.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.