Big Bend vs. Cruise

1,339 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Martin Cash
Always_Right
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are trying to surprise my dad with a trip in 2018 and he has always talked about wanting to do either Big Bend or a cruise, I've never done either. For those of you who have experience with both which one would you recommend. We probably have about 7-8 days to do either trip and would be driving from Houston. Would costs be comparable?
All my hope is in Jesus, thank God my yesterday's gone.
Potcake
AG
We've never done a cruise so I don't meet your criteria. However you can do Big Bend, Marathon, Marfa, Fort Davis, Balmorhea pool, McDonald Observatory, Lajitas, Terlingua, and River Road in 7-8 days.
chris1515
AG
Those seem like vastly different options...what does he like to do? How many people would be going?
CDub06
AG
Yeah... I can't think of two more different options. And the costs are really going to be dependent on a whole lot of things.

You can do Big Bend for a lot cheaper than a cruise if you're just driving out and camping. There are some great day trips and multi-day kayaking excursions from the park. But there's definitely a range depending on your interests and how you plan to fill your days.

Cruises are going to depend on your room, the destinations and your excursions.

It's hard to suggest one over the other without knowing the dude.
Furlock Bones
AG
i just got back from my 4th cruise. i did 2 as a teenager. 1 right after college graduation. this last wasn't my choice.

i'm hoping i don't have to go on another one.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
There's not a cruise out of Galveston I'd recommend over a trip to Big Bend. If you're looking at cruising Alaska, that's a whole different ballgame.
reddog90
AG
8 days to see Big Bend, Terlingua, Marfa, maybe Balmorhea would be awesome. But I'd rather backpack/camp/hike than be on a cruise any day.
Always_Right
AG
Yes, two very different locations and things to do but thats my Dad! Thanks for the feedback everyone, I think we are leaning towards Big Bend.
All my hope is in Jesus, thank God my yesterday's gone.
reddog90
AG
There are lots of Big Bend threads on the outdoors and travel board for you to look through.
PlanoAg98
AG
How old is your Dad? Big bend is great for hiking if you are in good shape.

Where are you coming from? Dallas to Big Bend is 8 hours. Houston to Big Bend is about 9 hours. Dallas/Houston to Galveston is 5 hours/1 hour.

The thing I like about cruises is that every thing is done for you. There's diving, fishing, snorkeling at each Caribbean stop. Make sure you get on a newer bigger boat. There are older smaller boats going out of Galveston and you can quickly get bored on the boat during travel days.

I've done both Big Bend and Galveston cruises. I prefer the cruise as I'm more of a fishing/scuba guy versus hiking.
jja79
AG
Growing up out there I would ask my dad where all the cars going down 385 were going. He said Big Bend to which I replied what's that?

Take a cruise.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, your dad's physical condition and fitness level would be a big determinant for me. Not that Big Bend can't be enjoyed by the less fit/agile, but there are definitely a lot of aspects/activities that are unlocked by someone that can be more mobile and do more hiking. Enough so that it would sway my opinion one way or the other on which to visit. I'm sure some may disagree, but for someone whose hiking/mobility would be limited, I'd visit Big Bend as more of a long weekend than a 7-8 day trip.
NoahAg
I don't really like people, and have never been on a cruise. I'd go Big Bend.
DannyDuberstein
AG
NoahAg said:

never been on a cruise.

Username does not check out.
NoahAg
DannyDuberstein said:

NoahAg said:

never been on a cruise.

Username does not check out.
Haha, I knew it as I typed it.
Martin Cash
AG
Big Bend. No question.

Cruise ship - like being in jail with a chance of drowning.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.