Chicago

1,989 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by harge57
213 Grove
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife just booked a trip to Chicago in February for Friday - Sunday cause she found $79 round trip tickets.

I know nothing about it but apparently she's always wanted to visit.

What's there to do there other than see Wrigley Field?
07ag
AG
buddy guy's blues
river architecture tour
deep dish pizza

tons to do in chicago,, what kind of stuff do you usually like to see/do?
Apache
AG
Since it's February... definitely indoor stuff.

Field Museum
Art Institute of Chicago
Aquarium
Catch a Bulls game?
Planetarium

schmendeler
AG
second city
Wicked Good Ag
We went in October and loved it. My favorite was the architectural boat tour but not sure that is as fun or even available in February. We also loved the art museum and millienial park. Drinks at rooftop bar on Mag mile. Also went to see second city comedy club and ate at topolobampo which was excellent

We didn't plan better on food other than a couple of meals so I would make those reservations in advance but February sucks for strolling the area where the architecture is amazing
schmendeler
AG
had an excellent meal at "the girl and the goat" I highly recommend that.

supposedly an excellent burger at Au Cheval.
Aggie1391
Second the girl and the goat. Also check out the Aviary for a pricey, but cool cocktail experience
BSD
AG
Don't you need reservations at Aviary? It was that way a few years ago when I went to Next, which is absolutely outstanding restaurant. Same owners as Alinea.

Kuma's Corner (the original) is a great place for burgers and beer. It is metal themed so be prepared for that. Girl and Goat is good but Little Goat Diner is very bland.

I'd pass on Wrigley in February unless you just happen to be up that way.

The Art Institute is world class.
BSD
AG
schmendeler said:

had an excellent meal at "the girl and the goat" I highly recommend that.

supposedly an excellent burger at Au Cheval.

Au Cheval burger is awesome. Showing up at the open in february will help alleviate the crowd that shows up for it.
I Play With Guns
S
**Pequod's Pizza or Giordano's Pizza
**Go to The Signature Room for drinks (the most incredible view of the city)
**They just opened up The Park At Wrigley this year and they've got an ice skating rink along with a little Christmas market.......I have no clue if it's going to be open in February but you could kill 2 birds with one stone by ice skating and seeing Wrigley
**Navy Pier is stupid, just stay away
**If the weather is good, visit the Chicago Zoo. It's incredible and FREE!
**Go to a bar along the River Walk
**Shop at The Magnificent Mile
**Eat, Eat, Eat!

schmendeler
AG
I agree the Navy Pier is dumb and a tourist trap.
Random Ag
AG
Blackhawks game over Bulls game
Girl and Goat and Au Cheval
All the museums are top notch
aTm2004
AG
Grab breakfast at Ann Sather. Get the cinnamon roll as a side. You will not be disappointed.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
aTm2004
AG
A cool place to grab a drink is Old Town Ale House. It's cash only, but a great old Chicago bar. If you go want to do the Handcock Tower, don't pay to go up. There's a bar at the top that has like a 2 drink minimum for a free ride up. In the end, it's a wash cost wise. Might as well have a nice drink with the view.

Giordanos is my favorite of the deep dish places.

Chicago Theatre is off of State St in the Loop. Worth a look if you've never been.

The Pony off of Belmont is the official bar of the Chicago A&M club. Cool place as well. The neighborhood is also pretty cool.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
BoDog
AG
Incredible city with so much to do, just not sure about being up there in February. Yikes!!
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Now I'm considering a trip! I'd assume Uber is the best way to get around town?
schmendeler
AG
Uber and Lyft
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
The trains are great and cheap if you are traveling around rush hour
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Not really trying to hijack the OPs thread, but figure more info will help both of us and we don't need 2 Chi-Town threads.

I've always thought it would be a fun place to see. What areas should we look at to stay? Gold Coast/Magnificent Mile area? This will just be a 4 Day weekend. We'd like to focus on the foodie element (Chicago Deep Dish pizza, burgers, maybe a good steak). Also since it'll be January, mostly indoor activities... I really want to see The Field Museum.

We are open to Air BnB/VRBOs but don't know what areas to focus on. I can get a good deal on the Renaissance Chicago Downtown or Fairfield Inn Downtown. Also willing to use PriceLine if I know what area to try.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
The two times we went we did mostly the trains and buses, uber a couple of times, but once was in August and once in early May. I would be pretty concerned in the winter since you will be waiting outside for 8-10 minutes at times. Architecture cruise or double decker bus is very cool but will be totally weather dependent.

In June we caught a high of 54 the whole time we were there and into the mid 30s and it was pretty damn cold for us. You could spend two full days in the art museum and field museum if you are in to that. Great restaurants are too numerous to mention. We had a pretty good time on one of the gangster tours, cool information.

We stayed about a block or two off the Mile and it was very convenient to all the trains/buses.
Summer Breeze
AG
Just bought flights to visit Chicago in July. Taking our two teenage boys, so I'm hoping we can see the sights and also maybe spend a day at the beach.

So I'm following this thread for places we should visit!
Always_Right
AG
Willis Tower observation deck is a must if its your first time visiting, Cubs game or just a tour of Wrigley Field and an architecture boat cruise is pretty interesting too.
213 Grove
AG
BTW we went in February for about 40 hours and while cold we had an awesome trip. Never felt unsafe walking around downtown and the Willis Tower glass skydeck was pretty sweet. Saw the bean and ate deep dish and chicago dogs.

Looking forward to going back during the spring/summer season as there looked to be so much more to do
Wicked Good Ag
Summer Breeze said:

Just bought flights to visit Chicago in July. Taking our two teenage boys, so I'm hoping we can see the sights and also maybe spend a day at the beach.

So I'm following this thread for places we should visit!

If you are there during the 4th the Navy Pier is crowded, extremely crowded. Went there a couple of years ago and before we got there we heard they had 150k already so we drove up to Madison Wisconsin.

As for lodging we stayed at the sofitel Hotel off of Mag Mike and walked pretty much everywhere in October. Didn't hit up Wrigley because I had been before and it was last regular home game of season and game was three hours after flight arrived. But the hotel left us in a area where we saw everything we wanted to.
Topolobampo was very good as was the deep dish we had at Guardinos (sp??)
Architectural boat tour was my favorite followed by Art Institute which was wife's favorite. Get the city pass go city card if you plan on doing a lot of the major sites
Navy Pier was a waste of time and money imo as echoed by a few people above. Hit up some rooftop bars. Rush Street is not like it was in the 80s so not as much the party scene anymore
harge57
AG
There is a restaurant at the top of the hancock building that is a good place to go for a drink or dessert if the sky is clear and you can get a table by a window.

Wife and I really enjoyed stopping in there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.