Beijing

742 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by RMC91
RMC91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Family has a stopover in Beijing for 3 days in March. Any suggestions for our short trip? Kids (8 and 10) want to see the wall but that's about it on the schedule so far. Also, did anyone use a tour guide/company while there?

Thanks.
Spore Ag
If you want to have a great experience but it comes with a high cost then check out the China World hotel and book the concierges floor. Great location with walking distance to Silk Market for shopping, Forbiden City and others. But they have an all inclusive Happy hour with great food as well as a great Breakfast. Awesome service.

Stat Monitor Repairman
There was a dude on here that reccomended a private tour guide that picks you up at your hotel and takes you to the Wall.

I used the guy a couple years ago and thats what id reccomend with kids in tow.

Search for the old thread..
Josepi
AG
Don't do the group tours of the wall. They are awful. They also take you to several gift hops along the way to try and make you buy stuff.

Simply take the train to the stop nearest the section of the wall you want to visit. I recommend Mutianyu. Exit the train station, and there will be at least twenty private vehicles waiting to take tourists to the wall. Most of them won't speak much English, but they know what you want, so there isn't much to negotiate. Both times I've done it the driver just slept in the car in the parking lot while we explored the wall. When we were done, we just went back to the parking lot, knocked on the window, and he took us back to the train station. Super easy.

Also, just one more note. There are lots of souvenir stands near the base of the wall. Be sure to haggle, and only pay about 20% of their initial asking price. Those stands ask astronomical prices hoping to prey on unsuspecting, naive, or confused tourists. Seriously, they will start by asking about $70-80 usd for a t-shirt. You can typically get them down to less than $10. Of course, they don't take USD's, so you have to do the conversions in your head while talking to them.

Also, if it's your first trip, allocate a day for Tienamen Square, and the Forbidden City. They are both very cool. Also, I recommend a half day wandering through some of the Hutongs. I don't remember which ones I've done, but they have all been very fun. We didn't do guided tours for the Hutongs (just wandered around ourselves), but I recommend one for the forbidden city. It's huge.
PetroAg87
AG
Definitely visit the Great Wall at Mutianyu rather than some of the other locations closer to Beijing. Mutianyu is up in the Mountains, has closely spaced watchtowers, and you can take a Gondola to the top of the Wall, and back down. Or take toboggans down depending on how old your kids are and how much of a thrill seeker the family is. Riding that sled was definitely fun.

Get to the Forbidden City early enough to buy tickets for a tour. I'm not sure how common it occurs, but I was there during a holiday and the tours were completely sold out by early afternoon.
I Play With Guns
S
We just did this a few days ago and holy hell the toboggan was soooooooooo much fun!!!

The Great Wall was also incredibly beautiful. <3

RMC91
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.