Kansas City Bbq

1,992 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CanyonAg77
TREX01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Give me the best big time joints and local favs?
Matsui
AG
Oklahoma Joe's (called Joe's now)
Jack Stack BBQ (prefer location in freight district)
Gates BBQ
CanyonAg77
AG
If you go to the Truman Library in Independence, we liked "A Little BBQ Joint". Just west of the Library complex on 24.

If you're downtown and want a break from BBQ, The Beer Kitchen.

If you're going for vacation, or if you have a few hours on business, the WWI Museum is a must-see.
CDub06
AG
Of the big ones, Jack Stack is by far my favorite. Gates is bad.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Matsui said:

Oklahoma Joe's (called Joe's now)
Jack Stack BBQ (prefer location in freight district)
Gates BBQ
Name changed again to Kansas City Joe's about a year ago. I thought it was the best BBQ of all the local joints I tried. Arthur Bryant's is pretty good too.
Quito
AG
I live here and love the BBQ.

Q39 is the best. Opened a couple years ago and is now the local favorite. Took that honor from Joe's (which is still loved).

Q39 is unbelievable! It's a sit down place with a waiter. Great apps and BBQ is melt in your mouth watering! Trust me on this! They just opened another one south of KC in Overland Park.

Q39
Joe's
Jack Stack

In that order
TREX01
Is Q39 hard to get into for lunch?
Quito
AG
Service is great and fast...parking is limited. Joe's will absolutely have a long line (that also moves fast). Q39 is sit down with a ton of tables...they have a greeter that sits you and it's never been an issue.

I have not been to the Overland Park location.
Quito
AG
Anyone coming to KC, the WW1 Museum is great. Plaza lights and shopping/people watching are great as well.
TREX01
I'm flying in for the KU game in January and want to hit some BBQ before I drive over to Lawrence. You helped tremendously
buckinaggie
Another vote for Q39. Hands down the best in KC. You can get in for lunch. There may be a wait (20 minutes or so), but it's nothing compared to lines like Franklin's in Austin.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I think Joes is better than Q39. Saying that, the smoked wings at Q39 may be the best non brisket BBQ item I've ever had.
Gabster43213
http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/diners-drive-ins-and-dives/episodes/kansas-city-barbecue-tour
MCMXCVII
AG
Yet another vote for Q39. Manager is from Texas. Good dude. Everything I've had there is excellent.
Jock 07
AG
Had the beef rib at jack stack and was severely underwhelmed. Oklahoma joes was pretty good but certainly not worth the 1 hr + wait. I'd suggest calling in an order. Will have to check out q39 next time I'm down there.
SteveG
AG
quito is spot on in his ranking.

I live a few hours from KC and have been many, many, many times. BBQ is my jam.

At Q39. Get the burnt ends for sure. And as someone else posted, also get the wings as an appetizer. Amazing. Many the best wings I have ever had? The sides are way above average too. Hands down #1 in KC.

If you got to Joe's (Kansa City Joes) make sure you go the original location that is a gas station. Pork ribs (spare) are some of the best i have had as well. If they have burnt ends get it (only have them a few days a week). Brisket...ok, but they cut the brisket too thin IMO. Or try the Zman sandwich.

CanyonAg77
AG
Just got back from KC, ate at the Overland Park location of Q39.....twice.

Really, really, good. I thought the sausage was fantastic. We tried the wings once. They are very good, but messy. Brisket amazingly tender.

It was crowded both times, but fast in and out. Maybe our timing was just good, but we never had to wait for a table.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.