Alaskan Cruises

2,250 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MsC2012
cadetjay02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're looking at taking a family cruise to Alaska this summer. Group includes the wife and I, our 2 boys (11 & 9), and my mom. I don't think a round trip cruise is the best option and I'm indifferent on starting south and heading north or the opposite. We like to do the train to Denali as well.

Thoughts on starting in Seattle vs. Vancouver vs. Fairbanks?

What about an all inclusive through the cruise line?

Any other feedback would be appreciated.
62strat
AG
If you ever splurge and get balconies on a cruise, it needs to be this one.
aggiedata
AG
We did the cruise on Princess from Vancouver to Anchorage then the train to Denali. We took my in laws. Loved it. My father in law still talks about it and wants to go back and go to Kodiak this time.

If you can, get at least one room with a balcony on the starboard side (right side) if heading north from
Vancouver. Aft side if heading south. Best viewing as the ship makes its way up. Amazing views. Get a good pair of binoculars.
aggiedata
AG
More information

We booked flights included
We only did one way up and flew back from Anchorage
Excursions are fun!
Not as many kids on this cruise as others
The glaciers breaking of into the sea were amazing
We saw grizzly bears in Denali
Nothing was cheap!
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Start in Vancouver and go north. You'll be acclimated to the time change and longer days by the time you get to the land portion. There's not much chance to rest once you get back to land.

Make sure your cruise tour visits Glacier Bay NP.

Starboard side balcony is a must.
cadetjay02
AG
Has anyone done a float plane through the fjords/glaciers? That looks pretty cool. Anyplace in particular?
Ag CPA
AG
Disney cruises round trip out of Vancouver, we have not done an Alaska cruise yet but our kids enjoyed Disney cruises we took in the Bahamas and Mediterranean.
bugle rank '87
AG
We did Vancouver north and loved it.

We did a float plane that flew up into the mountains and landed on a lake at the top of a mountain. It was absolutely breathtaking. Saw a momma bear and her cubs up close and personal. I believe we did that out of Skagway.

Also recommend the helicopter tour to a glacier with dog sledding on the glacier. Fantastic!
We’ve never lost a halftime...
BQ78
AG
Do the land portion first and then the sea, i.e. fly to Fairbanks and work your way south. You'll have more stamina for the land portion at the begining versus getting fat and lazy on the boat and then exerting yourself on land.
jetescamilla
AG
If you come through Juneau you cane take the float plane to Take Lodge for a salmon bake and guided walk around theit property. It's a great 30 minute scenic float plane trip over 7 glaciers. I live in Juneau and fly around often for work, it was still magical for me. My wife and I won that excursion from my kids school at a raffle. So glad we did.
AKAgs
Tour the land portion first and then cruise. Cruises are relaxing while the land portion is more travels and go, go, go. Traveling is a lot of work... Relax and spoil yourself on the cruise afterwards!

Looking for a more adventure cruise with excursions included. Check out UnCruise. They aren't the typical cruise ship and aren't ideal for families, but I went a few years ago and it was so much better than a big ship cruise.
AKAgs
Flightseeing is great out of Talkeetna or Denali National Park. Landing on a glacier in the Alaska Range on Mt. Denali is pretty awesome and flying over the climbers is inspiring. I've flown with K2 Aviation multiple times and they are great!
malenurse
AG
I've done that flight with K2 out of Talkeetna also. It is a must do.

Quote:

Aft side if heading south.

AggieData, I think you meant port side.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
aggiedata
AG
malenurse said:

I've done that flight with K2 out of Talkeetna also. It is a must do.

Quote:

Aft side if heading south.

AggieData, I think you meant port side.

ah Port, it's not just for drinking! Who cares to see where you been! You are correct, i meant port side.

My WW2 navy relatives wouldn't be happy with me right now.

cadetjay02
AG
What elevation did they fly you up to?
Pro Sandy
AG
Did a Princess cruise from Vancouver to Whittier. Then rented a car and spent two weeks ashore. Went up to Fairbanks via Denali, then a week on the Kenai.

Vancouver vs Seattle, I don't know. We didn't make any stops in Vancouver. Just flew in, went to the hotel, then the ship in the morning.

Spending time ashore afterwards is a must. Denali is amazing.

Doing the inclusive, I have an aunt who loves planning trips, so she did a lot of the work. I was the youngest in the group by about 40 years, so I did a lot on my own, but if you enjoy the planning, do it yourself. Cheaper, and potentially more fun. With portcalls though, if you do the excursion through the ship, they will hold the ship for you. If you go out on your own and miss ships movement, you are on your own.

Trip report from 2008. https://texags.com/forums/54/topics/1185062
My pics were on tinypic.com, so they are all gone.
Pro Sandy
AG
AKAgs said:

Flightseeing is great out of Talkeetna or Denali National Park. Landing on a glacier in the Alaska Range on Mt. Denali is pretty awesome and flying over the climbers is inspiring. I've flown with K2 Aviation multiple times and they are great!
K2 is great

I got to sit in the front

Pilot claimed this was Denali. If so, the only time we saw it the week we were in the area.
Mucho austin
AG
cadetjay02 said:

Has anyone done a float plane through the fjords/glaciers? That looks pretty cool. Anyplace in particular?

Yes, and it was awesome.

Landed on a small lake in a huuuge valley and it was sweet
MsC2012
AG
We did princess out of Vancouver. It was amazing. We ended in Whittier and flew back out of Anchorage. I absolutely loved it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.