London & Paris for 6 days

2,573 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jay07ag
jay07ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife and I are wanting to do a London/Paris trip in the spring. Has anyone done this before? Is it feasible to split it up 3 days in each city? How is the best way to get from city to city? And lastly, What were your favorite things to do in each city if you have been there (food/drink/sports venues/museums/historical)?

Thanks in advance!
An Ag in CO
AG
Yes
Yes
Train or plane
Decide activities based on your interests and likes; both have fantastic museums, parks, restaurants, etc. so you shouldn't have any problem tailoring an agenda for whatever you enjoy most.
dcAg
Recommendations on where to stay in each city. Thinking about doing this in March.
Always_Right
AG
Did this same trip this past spring with my mom. I'm assuming the 6 days doesn't include the flight there and back so you have plenty of time to hit the highlights of each city. I would recommend going to Omaha Beach while you are in Paris, it was one of the highlights of our trip. I would make a list based on your interests and create a detailed ittenerairy for each day due to the short trip. We got around Paris by boat and walked/tube while in London. If your wife enjoys shows then I would look into seeing Wicked in London, best show I've ever seen and I've been to many on Broadway. If there is anything else I can help you with please let me know.
All my hope is in Jesus, thank God my yesterday's gone.
Win At Life
AG
We stayed outside London to be cheaper but looked for a place close to a tube entrance. Bought a week pass on the tube and took that from heathrow. Learning to use the tube to get around London is part of the fun. Mind the gap.

After seeing the main things in London, we booked a day bus tour to Westminster castle, Bath and Stonehenge. Then we booked another day tour to Paris on the chunnel. Sounds like you want more time in Paris than that, but it worked for us.
whasty
AG
The only easy question to answer is: "How is the best way to get from city to city?" That's simple, take the Eurostar train. Less than 3 hours one way. It's the only way to go.

Have you been to either city? Three days it's enough at either. I've been to both cities numerous times and have the retirement goal of spending a summer in each. That said, you can still do a lot in your three days. While I love Normandy and the English countryside, I would suggest just staying in the cities because those day trips will take up the whole day and now your down to two days.

Get Rick Steves' London and Paris guide books and decide what you want to do.

Suggestions for London:
Westminster Abby
Churchill War Rooms
National Gallery
British Museum
British Library
Town of London
Lunch in a Pub (More than one every corner Steves' guide lists some famous ones)
Theater (I saw Wicked there last year and it plays in a large theater, I would suggest finding something in a smaller house)
Walking through the parks (Hyde, Green, St. James, etc)
Bike tour

That's well over 3 days' worth of stuff and I haven't mentioned a ton of great things.

Suggestions in Paris:
Norte Dame (Climb the bell tower)
St Chapelle (It's a must and most people miss it.)
Louvre
Musee d'Orsay
Arc de Triomphe
champs-lyses
Cruise on the Seine
Lunch on the west bank
Bike tour

Again, well over 3 days of stuff.

Like I said, pickup Steves' book and get a feel for what you're interested in.
whasty
AG
"Recommendations on where to stay in each city. Thinking about doing this in March."

Last May I stayed at "The Grand at Trafalgar Square", great hotel, great location, great price. I'd stay there again in a heart beat.
jay07ag
AG
Great info and recs...thank you guys!
aggiesarah2004
AG
We did this in June. The chunnel was easy and fun. I HIGHLY recommend a bike tour in both cities (we used and loved Fat Tire Tours) because it's a fun way to see a lot of highlights in a short amount of time. They also do tours of the Eiffel Tower, Louvre, Catacombs, etc. where you get to skip the main entrance line. We really enjoyed the Eiffel and catacombs tours.
Sliced Clown Bread
AG
Yes, you can spend three in each but I would spend all 6 in London or Paris and then go to the other some other time. You can easily spend 6 days in either city.
Sliced Clown Bread
AG
I should also add that the pound is really cheap right now and London is more expensive than Paris.
Silky Johnston
3 weeks wouldn't do either city justice, much less 3 days /every A-hole that seems to have infinite time off and funds
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
I'm taking notes as well
beachfront71
AG

London - Stay at the St James Hotel and Club.. Awesome

Paris - Stay at the George V - even better ..

Eurostar is awesome but if you dont get your tickets early it will cost more than a flight..

Both really great cities!
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Co-signing the Eurostar between the two locations. Did this last January. It's basically the same amount of time to drive from Houston to San Antonio.
schmendeler
AG
Silky Johnston said:

3 weeks wouldn't do either city justice, much less 3 days /every A-hole that seems to have infinite time off and funds
I'm not either one of those, but I think the OP would enjoy the trip more by spending all of their time in one place. with only three days, you have to leave just when you are starting to get your bearings for the city.
ColoradoMooseHerd
schmendeler said:

Silky Johnston said:

I'm not either one of those, but I think the OP would enjoy the trip more by spending all of their time in one place. with only three days, you have to leave just when you are starting to get your bearings for the city.
I think you can cover a lot of London in a few days and check off the bucket list of things, but no way can you see Paris in that amount of time. I agree that Paris needs more time.
Always_Right
AG
Agree that having more days to spend in each city is ideal but you can certainly see the highlights of each in 3 days a piece.
All my hope is in Jesus, thank God my yesterday's gone.
Texan_Aggie
AG
Stay in Knightsbridge. Right next to Hyde Park, Harrod's, and subway stations.
TCSD84
Take cash. A lot of cash. London is crazy expensive. Did London for 9 days a couple year ago. Could easily have stayed twice as long to see everything. Went to Windsor castle, Greenwich, most of the major sights in London, downtown abbey tour. Didn't make it to Stonehenge, Dover. Saw a couple shows, ate some pretty good food. Great Indian food. Can highly recommend flat iron for steak, dishoom for Indian, golden Union for fish and chips.. Stayed in vrbo apt in Piccadilly near a Whole Foods. Perfect location imo. Went in the summer and weather was as good as you could ever ask for. Didn't rain a single day for more than a tiny sprinkle. On hot side but better than cold and rainy. That was my second time. Enjoyed this a lot more. First time we went March and weather was sucky. Overcast and cold every day. Never saw the sun in a week. Never did the combined Paris London trip. Enjoy it.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
We just got back from a London/Edinburgh trio of similar duration. We stayed at the Great Northern in Kong's Crossing and it was perfect because it was on multiple tube lines. If you plan on doing a lot of different exhibits I'd suggest the London Pass with the Oyster Card and the Paris Museum Pass. Also if you or your wife is into Harry Potter there are a ton of those types of attractions as well.
LondonAg89
AG
Was in London Summer 2017 and the exchange rate made it a bit more affordable. Heading back there in May and hope the rate stays lower. It's still an expensive city but the exchange rate makes a big difference.

Was in Paris for a day in October (passing through for work) and stayed near Champs Elysees. It was very affordable. Did complete tourist thing of dinner on the Eiffel Tower and it was magnificent! I thought it would be cheesy but it was a really nice experience. The food was "good enough" for what you paid. As part of the evening, we drank champagne higher up on the Tower. It was a waste of money but the views were amazing and worth the elevator ride up.
jay07ag
AG
We booked our flights for mid March. Thanks for all the tips, will post an update on here once we get back!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.