Caribbean questions

1,659 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 10andBOUNCE
wildcat08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I are kicking around a trip there in a few months. We've never been, so are starting to do some research. One of the things we've looked at are the smaller boat cruises (e.g. Windstar). Thoughts? We're not averse to just a traditional one island hotel stay. If it were just a single island, which is your favorite? Night life is not a big factor; she's more interested in nice beaches, snorkeling, some scenery or sightseeing options and that other "s" word (shopping).
SW AG80
AG
St. John is our favorite place on earth. However, it received extensive damage from the hurricane and is shut down until 2019. Need to check for that damage regardless of where you go.
Spore Ag
Just back from a Viking cruise. Favorite island I would definitely go back to us Guadelupe. They use the euro.
Viking.... Did it.
KW02
AG
Based on your list the answer is probably the Cayman Islands.

There are many other places that are great. We too liked St John. Also liked many others as well. Each offers something different.
Potcake
AG
We have visited, and love, the BVI three times. Last year went to St. John and loved it too. Unfortunately, if you choose the USVI or BVI, accomodations, restaurants, etc. will be severely limited for awhile. They definitely need the resumption of tourism but if you don't want to deal with a limited experience, you may want to look elsewhere. We have also been to Provodenciales but it was also hit hard.

Our only other Caribbean island is St. Lucia. We rented a house and a car on the north end. Reduit Beach, Pigeon Island and Fort Rodney, and Gros Islet are all close. You can get a daysail to the Pitons/Marigot Bay.
wildcat08
AG
Thanks for the replies. Had heard great things about St. John's, but knew it got hit hard, so figured it wasn't an option. A couple we knew from our time in Coppell retired there. I've wondered several times what their experience was this year. Guadeloupe wasn't on our radar, but it looks pretty interesting.
erin2003
AG
Jamaica is great if you are looking for an all inclusive beach vacation. Beautiful place, but better to stay on resort property. If you want to be more adventurous, we loved Barbados. Beautiful island, great people and far enough south to be out of the hurricane zone.
Punked Shank
AG
Barbados is great
Spore Ag
Big article in the WSJ on Guadeloupe this past weekend.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I've been to almost every Caribbean island and I think Turks and Caicos has by far, the best beaches. The snorkeling is pretty good but the island is pretty expensive. Look into the ABC islands (Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao). Aruba has great beaches (stay on Eagle Beach, not Palm Beach), and while some people think the island is ugly, I really like the desert geography of the island. Bonaire has the best snorkeling I've seen in the Caribbean, but the island is coral, so not the greatest beaches in the world. There are some man made beaches at some hotels that are nice, and the water is very pretty like Aruba. Curacao is kind of a mix of Aruba and Bonaire.
Texas Ag Mom
We have a cousin that moved to St Johns a couple of months before the storm. They are still without electricity.
10andBOUNCE
AG
I always put a plug in for Costa Rica when Caribbean requests are made. Manuel Antonio, Tamarindo or other Pacific coast spots are great. We personally have stayed at the Westin Playa Conchales. Nice beach doesn't always have to mean Caribbean turquoise water without any surf. Southwest flights from HOU to LIR are easy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.