What is your favorite US city?

6,756 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bruce Almighty
BlueAg2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm just curious to know what everyone's favorite city is here in the US. After a big Europe trip this summer, I realized that there are still so many cities I have yet to visit in the US and wanted to refocus my travel here. I have been to all of the major cities (LA, NYC, Miami, Chicago, etc.) and am kind of working on tier 2 places (for lack of better terms). I just got back from a weekend trip in Minneapolis and loved it. What are some of this board's favorites? Any hidden gems?
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
  • New Orleans
  • Nashville
  • Chicago
  • Austin
  • Charleston
  • Seattle
  • Portland
  • Boston
  • New York
  • San Francisco

That's my list in order.
Matsui
AG
Nashville
Boston
San Diego
San Francisco
Denver
Austin
New Orleans
Post removed:
by user
Jock 07
AG
all the Colorado (and presumably Utah although I have no first hand experience) ski towns during ski season
Always_Right
AG
NYC
DC
BOSTON
SAN FRANCISCO
SAN DIEGO
PHILADELPHIA
CHICAGO
SEATTLE
All my hope is in Jesus, thank God my yesterday's gone.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Bend, Oregon if you like outdoor activities.

We just got back from Stowe, Vermont. Another great place if you like outdoor activities. A little kitschy though, due to it being a big ski resort town.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Bend, Oregon if you like outdoor activities.

We just got back from Stowe, Vermont. Another great place if you like outdoor activities. A little kitschy though, due to it being a big ski resort town.
I snowboarded at Killington, VT a couple years ago. Maybe 2015.
I think it was summer of 2014 when I spent a weekend in Burlington, VT. Burlington was very cool. The kind of city that Austin wished it was (with respect to the small number of people).

For the OP:
Denver, Colorado Springs, Boulder
Austin, Bandera
Santa Cruz, Napa, San Diego, Lake Tahoe
Las Vegas
Seattle, Portland
New Orleans, Nashville, Louisville
Salt Lake, Sundance

And then, when you're ready to hit the big time - Anchorage, Honolulu, San Juan
HECUBUS
AG
Austin
Houston
Santa Fe
San Francisco
Boston
Portland
Washington D.C.
Salt Lake City
Madison
NYC
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Houston, is underrated
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Need more qualifications. Favorite city to visit for a weekend? Two weeks? Live full time?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Burlington is an awesome little town.

We only went for 4 nights, but would definitely like to spend more time exploring the area.
BlueAg2003
AG
To visit for a short amount of time, like 3-5 days. I know places like NYC and LA are a blast, but suggestions like Madison and Salt Lake City are cool to see because they aren't the usual suspects.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Funny how flaming liberal cities are always fan favorites
The Lost
Kansas City is a sneaky good one for a weekend between the food, local beer and a ball game. Cheap too.
CDub06
AG
forum_54 =/= forum_16
Potcake
AG
Asheville
Austin (live here)
Palm Springs
New Orleans
Lafayette
Tampa (Ybor City)
Washington D.C.

In no particular order
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Tahoe and Key West.
iloveAP
AG
@The Lost Totally agree! I was surprised how much I enjoyed KC.

Boulder, Durango and many other cities in CO.

Nashville, Knoxville, Ashville

Milwaukee - again, I was surprised how much I liked it! I was there in August, so the weather was perfect. Beer, cheese, baseball.

Tahoe - obviously South LT is happening but I also like Truckee.
Jim Hogg is angry
AG
Potcake said:

Tampa (Ybor City)
Tampa is awesome....but Ybor City? (you must be a huge cigar aficionado).
Potcake
AG
Not an aficionado but I did buy a cigar. I just liked the vibe, like Little Habana, and loved the Columbia restaurant.
CDub06
AG
Double entendre?
The Pilot
AG
June thru August = Seward Alaska

Other time of the year, gimme Denver
TommyGun
AG
My favorite cities
-Anchorage, AK - I've only traveled here once but I would probably move there if I could convince my wife. Excellent food, endless hunting and fishing opportunities, and close proximity to the Chugach Range for powder skiing. I wish I could just transplant my whole extended family there and not have a reason to leave.

-Salt Lake City, UT - Easy access to world class skiing in the Wasatch, hiking trails everywhere, decent food options. Not the biggest fan of the downtown scene, but the outdoor opportunities make up for it. I would personally go here over Denver any day.

My favorite towns
-Jackson Hole, WY - The most beautiful place in the world, in my opinion. Yellowstone, Grand Teton N.P., and Jackson Hole Mountain Resort will have me coming back again and again.

-Miramar Beach, FL - Our favorite beach town. Close proximity to Destin but just a little more relaxed and fewer crowds on the beach. Obviously good seafood to be found and you can head into Destin for more night life or go east to Sandestin resort to find golf and more food options at the Baytowne Wharf.

RustyBV
AG
Round Top, TX
aggiederelict
I grew up in Anchorage and that would not be a city I would live in. The real Alaska exists beyond the road system. And there isn't much of a personality to Anchorage.

It is a great jumping off point to get the interior of Alaska though.
ToddyHill
AG
My current favorites, given I live in between them, are Nashville and Asheville, NC.

Other favorites include Bangor, ME, Boston, Boise, ID, and San Francisco.

Win At Life
AG
These aren't cities, but if you haven't visited the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, or niagra falls, you're doing yourself a disservice. These are word class destinations.
Hamburger Dan
Cities:
Santa Fe
New Orleans
Nashville
Chicago
Denver
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
With Houston, I was being mostly serious but that's because people have such an aversion to it. If you go from now until the end of April when the whether is still nice to tolerable, I could put together a fun weekend for anyone.

Into sports? Texans, Dynamo, Rockets and World Champion Houston Astros games are all a great time and close to downtown.

You want food try Aladdin's for Mediterranean, Benjys for a great brunch, les girvals for awesome Vietnamese, Blue nile for Ethiopian, Killens for BBQ, underbelly for your inner foodie and the always classic Brennan's or the original Ninfas on Navigation. No trip to Houston is complete without a trip to the Aquarium and a ride of the Ferris Wheel.

You want drink, try West Alabama Ice House, the Conservatory, Warrens Inn, Pastry War or the Dirty Dilla (The Armadillo)

You want outdoor activity, admittedly this is where Houston suffers, try biking around Herman Park, Rice University or the memorial area. Take in an afternoon at the zoo or butterfly exhibit, and until Harvey the Waugh Drive Bat Colony was cool.

Then if you are willing to drive a bit their is NASA.

History, check out the San Jacinto monument, the Heritage Society, Holocaust Museum, or the Lone Star Flight Museum.

If you want a quick, cheap and fun get away, Houston in the winter and early spring is great. But I agree avoid all cost during late spring, summer and early fall (they are all basically summer on crack)

62strat
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

With Houston, I was being mostly serious but that's because people have such an aversion to it. If you go from now until the end of April when the whether is still nice to tolerable, I could put together a fun weekend for anyone.

Into sports? Texans, Dynamo, Rockets and World Champion Houston Astros games are all a great time and close to downtown.

You want food try Aladdin's for Mediterranean, Benjys for a great brunch, les girvals for awesome Vietnamese, Blue nile for Ethiopian, Killens for BBQ, underbelly for your inner foodie and the always classic Brennan's or the original Ninfas on Navigation. No trip to Houston is complete without a trip to the Aquarium and a ride of the Ferris Wheel.

You want drink, try West Alabama Ice House, the Conservatory, Warrens Inn, Pastry War or the Dirty Dilla (The Armadillo)

You want outdoor activity, admittedly this is where Houston suffers, try biking around Herman Park, Rice University or the memorial area. Take in an afternoon at the zoo or butterfly exhibit, and until Harvey the Waugh Drive Bat Colony was cool.

Then if you are willing to drive a bit their is NASA.

History, check out the San Jacinto monument, the Heritage Society, Holocaust Museum, or the Lone Star Flight Museum.

If you want a quick, cheap and fun get away, Houston in the winter and early spring is great. But I agree avoid all cost during late spring, summer and early fall (they are all basically summer on crack)

Where is this city that has food, drinks, museums and sports teams?!? It sounds amazing.
YouBet
AG
Ill suggest some off the beaten path:

Aspen, CO for Aspen Food & Wine Festival
- bucket list kind of event and is a blast
- take Independence Pass route at least to or from

Carmel, CA
- Carmel by the Sea
- World class golf
- Santa Lucia Highlands wine in Carmel Village
- Big Sur

Sedona, AZ
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
If you don't go for Food, Drink, Sports and Culture what do you go for? I travel almost exclusively for food, drink and celebrations. If it's nature scenery, Houston Ain't got that. I'd never suggest it's the best city ever, but it's a worth a visit if you haven't been and an easy cheap getaway for most. It won't be the vacation you can brag about on social media but it's be a fun trip. The mass of Houston make the food scene dynamite, vastly superior to any other Texas city or Atlanta.

It is certainly as good as the Op's recent visit to Minneapolis.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.