Tell Me About Kauai

3,990 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by dcAg
Texas Ag Mom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Starting to plan a trip for May 2018. We will stay 12 nts unless we decide to split our time between 2 islands. We have been to Maui multiple times so we would explore a different island. My priority right now is finding some great lodging. We have used VRBO for years but I am not a fan of their most recent changes. I have also used Airbnb. We want to stay ocean front or have a great ocean view. A condo is better but we wouldn't rule out a hotel (we have a ton of Marr pts). Need AC & would like a pool. Probably not going to stay on the north side because I prefer lots of sun. any specific lodging help is greatly appreciated. Maybe there are some reputable local rental companies?
Snipes
AG
Why Kauai and not big island.

Been to all 4 major islands and most recent trip this year with week on both big island and Kauai.

I liked Kauai but big island is more to our liking with all the beach and water options.

Kauai main attraction in my opinion is hiking and especially on napali coast.
Texas Ag Mom
We are considering splitting time between Kauai & BI. Just not sure if I want to pick up & move. If we don't go to BI this trip it will be our next stop. Feel free to tell me about both pros/cons. We need to book air in the next couple of days. I am in the middle of home renov so I don't have time to do a lot of research at this point. I appreciate any help from those that have been to either island!
BSD
AG
I love Kauai and we visit it often. Every two years we go to hawaii and spend at least a week on Kauai. Last time it was a week on the Big Island and a week on Kauai. Next year it will be two weeks on Kauai. It can be as relaxing or as adventurous as you want. We always spend a few nights on the south shore and then move to the north shore for a change in scenery. That said, I don't spend a lot of time in Lihue. Here is what I tend to do every time we come out.

First things first, buy Kauai Revealed. It's a great start. Then talk to locals.

Napali Catamaran - tour of Napali coast that leaves from north shore.

Blue Hawaiian Helicopter tour - absolutely a must, stunning views

The National Botanical Gardens

Waimea Canyon self guided tour with a stop at JoJo's Anunue (not JoJo's...the other one by Captain Cook) for shave ice afterwards in Waimea. A hike down to Waipoo falls is fun. There are also some hikes along the ridge lines that look out into Napali but I'll let you research those. Some are approved trails and others aren't. I actually just saw the new Hawaii Revealed 10th edition and he marked "airline trail" in Kokee which is locally known as Kalepa Trail. We did this trail and it was awesome. While most trails have you go they woods and then emerge on a vista, this trail has you on views almost the whole time. I will warn you that at one point along the ridge line where the trail is 12" wide, I saw signs of looseness and it concerned me. Therefore I won't officially recommend it even though it's in the book.

Hanging out and snorkeling at Ke'e beach and Tunnels up north. There are several other spots as well, the guidebooks can show you those.

Restaurants-
Donderos at the Hyatt
Tidepools at the Hyatt
Bubba's Burger in Poipu (Hanalei location closed)
Puka Dogs on Poipu (try the lilikoi mustard)
Food trucks in Kapaa
Kickshaw food truck (check website for location)
Bar Acuda in Hanalei
Kauai grill, the restaurant in St Regis in Princeville

We rent a condo so we cook ourselves a bit, too.
Hincemm
AG
Kauai revealed book is great
lil99chris
AG
We spent 2.5 weeks in Hawaii (Maui, Kauai, and Oahu). We spent a week in Kauai and it was our favorite island. I recommend Hanakap'ai Falls, but get there early, pack snacks/lunch/water, and wear some decent hiking shoes.

I also recommend Blue Hawaiian helicopter tours. Amazing experience. Try to book early in your trip, so you have a better geographic feel of the island.

Plenty of beautiful beaches and solid snorkeling locations. Some locals gave us a location to check out sea turtles. I believe we saw 10 at the "cleaning station". Will try to get you the location.

Be sure to check out the farmer's market. Plenty of solid vendors (and you can grab lunch out there). If you see the sugarloaf pineapple stand....try their blended frozen pineapple. https://kauaisugarloaf.com

Eat breakfast at Kalaheo Cafe and Coffee Company. Parking is somewhat limited, but the food was good.

There is a Costco on the island if you want to pick up some food for the stay.
Ag CPA
AG
Going there on Saturday, staying at St. Regis Princeville. Will let you know if it sucks.
Killin Me Smalls
AG
St. Regis Princeville is great! Transfer your Marriott points to SPG.
HeightsAg
St Regis is beautiful but it is also a category 7 so probably doesn't make for a good redemption especially if you are working with Marriott points. The Sheraton Poipu is a much better value at category 4 and is located on the sunny side of the island.

And as far as Kauai vs. Big Island, we just got back from the Big Island and since there is currently no active lava flows to see, I'd definitely recommend waiting to go there. Personally, I think Kauai is much more stunning than the Big Island and without the volcano angle, it is a no brainier for Kauai.
BSD
AG
I've stayed at the St Regis several times. It's a really nice hotel with a great view (one of the best pool views I've ever seen). The restaurant there is really good, too. Jean George is the executive chef, I believe. Even the kids club and babysitting service is awesome.

All that said, I now prefer to stay "next door" at the Hanalei Bay Resort. It's way cheaper and you have a multiroom condo to live in for the week or so that you're there. It shares the same beach as the St Regis and you can still use their kids club/babysitters and head over for dinner at night should you choose to do so, but then head back to the condo. I'm no cheapskate by any means, but spending $1400 for a week over $4200 made me think twice about the St Regis.

But if I have extra Starwood points laying around, a few nights at the St Regis is always nice. On the Southside, I always stay at the Hyatt because of my points. Should I run out of those, I'm sure I'd find a condo down there too (I really want a kitchen because the new market on Poipu has a lot of great food I want to cook)
BSD
AG
HeightsAg said:

And as far as Kauai vs. Big Island, we just got back from the Big Island and since there is currently no active lava flows to see, I'd definitely recommend waiting to go there.

Really, that's a bummer? We had great views back in July. We flew over a lava lake and then stayed at Volcano House. I woke up about every hour in the night and gazed outside at the red glow. At 4:00am, I hopped in the car and drove to the lookout. I nearly froze but it was worth it! Watching the lava splash against the side of the crater was pretty cool. The view of the Milky Way was awesome too!

Anyways, back to Kauai...
Thunder18
AG
Kuaui is awesome, we stayed in Poipu and had seals and sea turtles on our beach every day, I even snorkeled with a seal on our last day there...it freaked me the F out when a large dark blur swam about 10 feet in front of me then just stopped and checked me out for a minute before heading in to the beach. Definitely do a catamaran tour of the Na Pali coast, the trip we booked included snorkeling, lunch and free booze (Holo Holo Charters). Check out Waimea Canyon and hike some trails, you will see some of the most stunning views from the trails as opposed to just the overlooks. Chicken in a barrel and Puka Dogs were both really good when I got tired of eating delicious Poke. We did an ATV tour that was pretty fun and cool with a waterfall lunch break included.
TXTransplant
We really enjoyed the ziplining and hidden waterfall hike with Kauai Backcountry Adventures (they also have a tubing excursion) and the Na Pali Coast beach landing raft adventure with Kauai Sea Tours. Both were outstanding experiences and companies.
Smokedraw01
Kauai is probably my favorite place on Earth and I'd spend every trip I take to Hawaii if I could. My wife prefers Maui and it's cool but the north side of Kauai is my jam.
JCRiley09
AG
Has anyone done any scuba in Kauai? I did a discover dive in Maui last August and was hoping to do the same in Kauai in July. Initial attempts to book indicate that the tunnels will not be available to dive because of road closures so that pretty much leaves Koloa Landing. How is it?
Floppy Leon
AG
The hike to Hanakapia falls is a must!
lil99chris
AG
Floppy Leon said:

The hike to Hanakapia falls is a must!

....eat a decent breakfast, get there early, pack snacks/lunch/water, sunscreen, and wear some decent hiking shoes. It is a full day hike for most people (4 hours each way). There is a restroom by the beach (at the mid point of the hike)....it smells fantastic.

I can laugh about it now, but that hike almost killed me (I didn't know I had a health issue until a month later).
Smokedraw01
Agreed. It's a little further than the map makes it out to be and make sure you have plenty of water.
"If you run into an ******* in the morning, you ran into an *******. If you run into *******s all day, you're the *******." – Raylan Givens, "Justified."
Floppy Leon
AG
We had no idea it was so long a hike. A couple had told us about it the day before and we did the entire hike wearing only aqua socks. My feet and legs never hurt so bad. When we arrived at the falls my wife (girlfriend at the time) sat down on the big boulder in the water and and I asked her to marry me.
dcAg
I always stay at the St. Regis in Princeville
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.