Update from Napa/Calistoga area from B&B owner.

671 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BSD
Federale01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I stayed at a B&B in the Calistoga area of Napa. Of course, I have been wondering about how it fare as it was a place with a lot of good memories for me. It sounds like from this that Sonoma probably took the brunt of the damage. Anyway, I recently receive this update from the B&B owner which I thought may answer some questions for folks here about how the fire affected the valley or who were thinking about traveling there in the near future.

I am greatly relieved to share with you that CasaLana and downtown Calistoga were spared from the recent wildfires. My heart breaks for those that lost lives, homes, and jobs or suffered any destruction from the wind and fires. We were fortunate here due to the amazing efforts of First Responders from many agencies, states and even other countries. I am humbled and emotional watching footage of what they endured to keep us safe.
CasaLana and Gourmet Retreats are OPEN for business. Calistoga and Napa Valley are largely unscathed by the fires. Driving from Napa to Calistoga you literally see no evidence of the devastation we've seen on the news for the past 10 days. Tourism is the livelihood of most of us in the Valley; we need your support now more than ever. I hope you will plan a trip soon to visit some wineries, book spa appointments and of course lodging. We will all be very grateful for your support.

BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have several friends in both Napa and Sonoma Counties. To say it was incredibly intense is an understatement. Several evacuated more than once, including those in Calistoga. The good news is that the fires largely stayed in the hills where the population is less dense. I'm not trying to minimize the damage done to pockets of Santa Rosa or anyone who suffered, but the fire did stay away from major population areas. For an area that is dependent on tourism, this fire hit at one of the most inopportune times and the area is a ghost town. Hotels, nice hotels that is, were being offered at $100/night. Restaurants are empty. Want to get into the French Laundry? This is the week! Im not too worried about the area though. Wine country will be up and running like before. I do wonder about smoke taint in the wine, though. That will be interesting to watch as time progresses.

The best text I got from a buddy in Oakville as he watched the fire burning a half mile above him in the hills above his winery "so much wine, not enough Scotch"
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.