International Trip Anywhere

3,352 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by M.C. Swag
inch05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Osaka, Seoul...maybe New Zealand...
Padre_Island_Ag
AG
I spent 5 1/2 days on the Amazon River, and I'd go back in a heartbeat.

I suggest you look into it!

Really!
Let's go Brandon!

Soli Deo Gloria
sts7049
AG
the patagonia would be fantastic. i went to calafate and chalten last year and hiking in chalten was one of the most beautiful places i'd ever seen.
Ag with kids
AG
The Azores.

You can fly out of Boston on SATA and it's about a 4 hr flight.

It's cheap as hell there too.

Stay in Ponta Delgado in Sao Miguel. Beautiful place and great Portuguese food.

Go to Furnas and see the active calderas bubbling up.

Visit Sete Cidades and Lagoa Azul. Really beautiful.

Take a day or two trip to Terceira. You can drive the whole island in half a day.

Eat a lobster at Beira Mar on Terceira. They're HUGE.

Go swimming in Biscoitos.

Lots more to do in the islands.

When you're done, you can tell people that you've been somewhere they probably haven't even heard of.
River
Peru? no jet lag, good food, hike up to Cuzco?
10andBOUNCE
AG
Padre_Island_Ag said:

I spent 5 1/2 days on the Amazon River, and I'd go back in a heartbeat.

I suggest you look into it!

Really!
Can you elaborate? This is high up on my list one day...
Random Ag
AG
Would love the details (restaurants, hikes, transport - hotels are booked) of your El Calafate / El Chalten trip - we are doing 2 and 4 nights, respectively, there in January
sts7049
AG
i actually just shared this with a friend of mine who is also planning a trip there. this was what i wrote to him:

Calafate:
  • We stayed at Alto Calafate. Beautiful place on the edge of town, great views. If you stay here you probably want a rental car to get to/from town. it's a bit of a walk without one. if you're going with no car maybe look more central.
  • Take a lunch with you on the glacier expedition, there won't really be anything there you can eat.
  • Definitely recommend the ice trekking part of the glacier. Really cool. It's a simple guided walk around a small part of the glacier. There is a "pro" expedition which is more expert level
  • If you spend more time there we also did a tirolesa (zip line) and land rover expedition (they drive you up the mountain in a 70s land rover and cook you lunch at the top of the mountains surrounding calafate). Both really cool.

Chalten:
  • You can buy bus tickets to take you to/from Chalten from Calafate. I think it's about a 3-4hr trip. When you bus in you will stop and get an introduction to the national park, they'll give you maps and information. You can find plenty around town too since everyone is there for the hiking and camping.
  • We stayed in Don Los Cerros Hotel. Really nice place.
  • Chalten is a pretty small town, really just a hub for hikers and backpackers who come for the trails. No car needed here, you walk everywhere. I'm no expert hiker but try to make a trip to Mt Fitz Roy. Be prepared for lots of walking and hiking (proper hiking shoes, socks, etc), I think the fitz roy trail we did was a full days hike. But some of the most beautiful views on the planet and totally worth it.
  • La Waffleria is a neat place here to eat
  • Cell phone service is sketchy here, and internet is slow. Disconnect and enjoy the views!
M.C. Swag
AG
8 days is simply not enough time for New Zealand. You'll lose 2 full days to travel alone. Beyond that you'll be suffering from some pretty substantial jet lag for at least a day.

8 days is good for a Euro destination. Pick any spot you haven't been but always wanted. (Greece, Ireland, Scotland, Spain, etc).
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.