International Trip Anywhere

3,363 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by M.C. Swag
Post removed:
by user
Spore Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cheloe in Southern Chili. Great Chilian and German culture. Great hiking, food, wine and people. Plus no jet lag.
aggiejumper
AG
Switzerland is beautiful, the whole country is like the pictures you see. I highly recommend it for the people, chocolate, scenery, and cleanliness.
I Play With Guns
S
What's your budget?
I Play With Guns
S
Reading fail! He's already been there. DUH!
aggiejumper
AG
Yep. Oh well. It's still a great place.

Ireland. Japan, Costa Rica
MemorialTXAg
What time of year? If you don't care, Iceland, New Zealand, Patagonia, Hawaii is what I would choose from. But, for example, there isn't much point going to Iceland in December imo.

I know you said Italy, but if you haven't been the Northern area of Italy around lake como and lesser known magiore are awesome too (very different from what people consider "Italy"). Perfect for late spring early summer as the water gets warm enough to jump in. I would avoid alps in the winter unless you are into winter sports. Cross country skiing can be really fun though.
Oak Forest Ag
AG
Many good options:

Australia
UK (limit your time in London)
Berlin then Krakw
Croatia/Slovenia
Kool
AG
South Island of New Zealand. The variety of beautiful scenery is amazing. They speak English and are friendly. Only problem is that they drive on the wrong side of the road
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

Just wife and I, Up to 8 kid free nights
any old roadside motel ought to do the trick.

But if you want to get fancy, I would suggest more rural areas in Europe. For example, the wife and I spent several days biking through the champagne region in France. Was amazing.
aggiejumper
AG
In my opinion, 8 Days isn't enough time for New Zealand, too much travel and to few days actually vacationing.

Como, particularly Bellagio Italy is top 3 most beautiful places I've seen in the world in my travels. Wife and I stayed up on hilltop above Bellagio and it was the best hotel view I've ever seen. If I can figure out how to upload a pic I will.

Blindey, the champagne region is great, been there several time to drink champagne and bring bunches back. You are spot on for rural France, whether it be the Normandy region (so see Mont St Michel, stay there if you can), the Loire Valley, or Champagne/Burgundy region, it's all so nice and different than any big city in France. The people are nice and you get a feel for their true culture. I still have yet to tour the southern half of France but that's coming some year.
Silky Johnston
Gah damnit I hate it when people say things like this. Oh you are only going to be able to take off 8 days for the foreseeable future? Nope scratch off 95% of the world because you won't be able to do it justice.

Mofo I ain't got an infinite number of days I can take off.
bthotugigem05
AG
New Zealand.
Post removed:
by user
I Play With Guns
S
^we are doing 2 weeks in Thailand/Cambodia in Nov & Dec so I'll let you know how it is when we get back!

Have you thought about The Azores? Haven't been but know someone who owns a house there and just raves about it.

Also check into doing Portugal and then flying to Madeira (an island off the coast of Africa). It has the most beautiful hiking trails I've ever seen in my life! Plus you can go canyoning, do lavada walks which are so beautiful, drive all over the island taking in the insane scenery, hike to waterfalls, go to the natural volcanic rock pools, and fun stuff like that. The food scene in Madeira is incredible! Every meal was over the top delicious! <3

Maybe do something like:
Cape Town
Azerbaijan/Armenia/Georgia
Australia/New Zealand
Morocco
Turkey including Cappadocia
RachAg2007
AG
Morocco
Jordan- Petra
Galapagos Islands
Always_Right
AG
Ireland
All my hope is in Jesus, thank God my yesterday's gone.
awesome sauce
AG
Great_I_Am said:

Ireland

Interested . . . Give more details on an ideal 8 day itinerary for Ireland.
HollywoodBQ
AG
You didn't say where your point of origin is so... I'll just call it DFW Airport for argument's sake.
With 8 nights away, you've got about 1 day travel there and 1 day travel back. So, that gives us 6 nights "on station" over your primary area of interest.

You don't want to put yourself in some sort of situation where you might miss a flight connection and get stuck so, I'd narrow it down to destinations that you can get to non-stop from Dallas/Houston. Unless you want to intentionally have a day or two stopover on the way and then non-stop back. For example, spend two nights in Hawaii or Los Angeles on the way to Japan and then non-stop on the way home.

You've already stated that you want a full two weeks for a trip "Down Under". Fair enough.
I assume you'll be ruling out places in the Middle East for security concerns and skipping things like the Abu Dhabi 48 hour challenge.

So, that leaves Far East Asia, South America and Central/Northern Europe.

Asia
  • Japan - first choice, Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Okinawa, etc.
  • South Korea - seriously, Seoul is awesome
  • People's Republic of China - a bit of an environmental/health concern but, Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong are all must see at some point
  • Republic of China (Taiwan) - Taipei is interesting and more interesting if you get further afield.
  • Singapore - fun but... probably not what you're after - imagine Houston
  • Thailand - didn't do much for me but, I'm not a young single G.I. either.
South America - I'd love to go to all of these
  • Brazil
  • Argentina
  • Chile
Central/Northern Europe
  • Amsterdam/Holland - Plenty to see/do and easy to go to other places
  • Paris/France - same
  • Germany - unlimited amounts of stuff to see/do
  • Scotland - especially because I've been watching the BBC Programme Shetland, I'm keen to go to Scotland now.
Those are my initial thoughts. Pick one destination and go there for 5-6 days. Or... pick two destinations that are close together and do 3 days in each - i.e. Amsterdam/Paris or Rio de Janiero/Buenos Aires

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.
GCRanger
AG
Fly to Dublin. Spend day doing Hop on hop off bus, and one night.
Drive to Dingle then make your way up the West coast hitting the following
Bunratty castle
Cliffs of moher
Lahinch
Galway
Sligo town, strandhill, hike knocknarea and benbulbin
Donegal, lots of great scenery and hiking.
Head back to Dublin

Take the back roads everywhere and stay in b&bs and boutique hotel

Always_Right
AG
awesome sauce said:

Great_I_Am said:

Ireland

Interested . . . Give more details on an ideal 8 day itinerary for Ireland.
We're actually going in 2018 for 10 days.
All my hope is in Jesus, thank God my yesterday's gone.
Post removed:
by user
dcAg
I would spend 7 nights in one or the other. I went to Ireland last 2 years ago and drove around the country for 10 days or so and I wish I could've spent a few more days.

There is a service called Tenon Tours and they can help you out greatly and even book the B&Bs or Castles in which you want to stay. They can also book your car as well. Awesome experience.
Post removed:
by user
Thunder18
AG
Ireland, start in Dublin then head South to Kilkenny, Cobh, Cork, and up the West coast to the Ring of Kerry/Dingle peninsula (driving this way means you get to avoid being stuck behind all the tour buses). Head up to the Cliffs of Moher and sail over to the Aran Islands or Galway, then either fly back from Shannon or drive back to Dublin to fly home
Thunder18
AG
Definitely stay in B&Bs when possible, we met some amazing people and ate great breakfasts at every B&B we stayed at
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Just spent 10 days in Scotland and would highly recommend (8 days would be fine).
GCRanger
AG
Don't split time in different countries. Do all in one place and don't rush.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
2 nights in Edinburgh, 1 night in Aviemore, 1 night in Inverness, 3 nights on Skye, 1 night in Glencoe, 1 night in Loch Lomond/Trossachs and 1 night in Glasgow.
ToddyHill
AG
I agree with Spore Ag. I spent a week in Puerto Montt, Chile several years ago. On the northern edge of Patagonia in Southern Chile. Felt like I was in Europe. Beautiful scenery, great food, great wine, and wonderful people. The weirdest thing was flying 9 hours to Santiago, then another two hours south to Puero Varas, and there was only a one hour time change from home. Literally no jet lag.

Spore Ag
Skye is great but if you are into activity cy the West Highland Way Hike from Glasgow along Loch Lohman.
Into adventure ck the great ferry lines to the Orkney and Shetland Islands. Historical monuments that predate Stonehenge as well as significant WW2 history.

JW
AG
Maldives
Texmid
AG
FightinTexasAg15 said:

2 nights in Edinburgh, 1 night in Aviemore, 1 night in Inverness, 3 nights on Skye, 1 night in Glencoe, 1 night in Loch Lomond/Trossachs and 1 night in Glasgow.
+1 on this.
whasty
AG
"Like outdoors stuff and beautiful scenery"

How about Norway
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.