Monarch Mountain, CO

765 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Stive
tamc91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for an option for Spring Break skiing other than NM to get away from the ice and slush. We've flown through Denver but looking at driving thjs time to avoid the airport and I-70 hassles.

I was looking at Monarch or Wolf Creek, but didn't really want to have to drive 30 mins from town to ski.

If anyone has been to Monarch and willing to share thoughts I'd appreciate it.
AirplaneAg09
AG
Monarch is a gem with fantastic snow in the true winter months. I've never been in March but I do know that area typically gets their heaviest snowfalls in that late February-March period and it's very damp, heavy snow.

If you do decide on Monarch, I'd look at staying in/around Salida which is only about a 15 minute drive down the mountain. Plenty of shops, neat restaurants, entertainment for the evenings considering it's not one of the big resort towns. Could even look at cabin rentals out towards Westcliffe but it's about a 45 minute drive from the mountain.

Monarch is small and cheap, but the runs are fun and the lift lines are non-existent. The bar and restaurant at the base is damn good too!
jac4
AG
Monarch is a good choice. Have you considered the Utah resorts? Many are about a 45 minute drive from the airport.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Haven't made it to Monarch yet but have always heard good things. Good mountain for beginners due to the lack of crowds. Only negative might be the fact it is smaller so if you're skiing 3-5 days it could become boring.
Stive
AG
It's smaller. I've never been when the snow is bad (been 8 or 9 times and anywhere from late December to late March). Crowds are never big, but the trade off is you drive 20 minutes each way to get there. Stay in Salida (some good restaraunts and lots of VRBO options). It's cheaper than most mountains, runs of all varieties (although only 2 double diamonds).

The base is servicable, but not very luxurious so if you've got someone with you that plans on hanging out at the lodge, there really isn't much space for them to spread out and relax.

It's by far our favorite mountain for short trips and for our kids to learn on.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.