Roadtrip suggestions for Aussies driving from Houston to Los Angeles

2,101 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bufrilla
HollywoodBQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We've got a group of early 20s Australian males driving from Houston to LA during the next few months and they're looking for recommendations of things to do along the way.

I've made the trip a couple times but I'd love to hear what the TexAgs travel board has to say. Here's what I was thinking:
  • Houston - Johnson Space Center
  • San Antonio - Alamo/Riverwalk
  • Carlsbad Caverns
  • Grand Canyon
  • Hoover Dam
  • Las Vegas - Aussies love to go machine gun shooting
BSD
AG
Tombstone
Saguaro national park
Montezuma castle national monument
Nuclear missle site near Tucson
Apache
AG
I would suggest they take Hwy 90 out of San Antonio instead of going I-10. They could stop in any of the towns out there (Marathon, Alpine, Fort Davis, Marfa) for a night & a day of looking around a West Texas town.

As they leave Vegas, go through Death Valley, stop at Sequoia National Park, then head to Santa Barbara for a few days. Then head South to LA.
Spore Ag
Met a group of Aussies in Tucumcari. The leader was a guy named Fletch who has a noted car show in Aussie. About 15 traveling and exploring Route 66 in old cars. Had a great time.
ryanhnc10
AG
I'd do Death Valley over Saguaro
BSD
AG
Thunder Kootch said:

I'd do Death Valley over Saguaro

I'd agree but Saguaro is really easy to get to and doesn't take too much time. Why not both?
Matsui
AG
If they are into planes, there are some very good airplane bonyards east and west of Phoenix.
HHAG
AG
Take I-10 West out of Houston as fast as you can.

San Antonio - stay on the river and enjoy Texico at its finest
Big Bend - stay in the Chisos Mountain Lodge and do some hiking
Stay in old town Tombstone and enjoy the show
Tucson - Pima Air and Space Museum and the boneyard at Davis-Monthan AFB
Ajo - go for a hike in the Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument and check out some old gold mines
Yuma - Visit the Territorial Prison
San Diego - Zoo, beach and a brewery tour

Fly home, satisfied

HollywoodBQ
AG
Matsui said:

If they are into planes, there are some very good airplane bonyards east and west of Phoenix.
Yeah, we spent the night in Tucson when we drove from California to Texas back in May. I didn't realize the extent of the boneyards there. I would love to go back for a tour.

There are also a lot of commercial aircraft stored out in the Mojave Desert near Edwards AFB in the high desert northeast of LA.

O'Doyle Rules
AG
Quote:

Too soon
Matsui
AG
Those planes are retired.
HollywoodBQ
AG
O'Doyle Rules said:

Quote:

Too soon
That wasn't a joke. Nor was it meant to be. Completely unrelated to the mass shooting that just happened.

In all seriousness, every red-blooded Aussie male who goes to "Lass Vaygas" always wants to go machine gun shooting. In fact, a few years back, a couple of Aussie Olympic swimmers got in trouble for going machine gun shooting and posing with guns and posting pictures of it clowning around on social media.

Apparently Vietnam also has some big machine gun shooting attractions.

HECUBUS
AG
Van Horn Chuy's, the original since 1959. Often imitated since John Madden made them famous in 1987, but not affiliated with the chain in Austin.
Pahdz
Not always
beachfront71
AG

After San Antonio there is not one thing worth stopping for that is better than just getting to LA except Vegas and the grand canyon...

Anything you stop for is taking away from something better so just haul ass and get it over with...
bufrilla
AG
Made a 24 day trip west and here are some suggestions. **Northern route much more to offer**
Big Bend NP
MacDonald Observatory
Guadalupe NP/Peak
Carlsbad Caverns
Santa Fe
Bandelier NM
Chaco Culture
Mesa Verde NP
Arches NP
Canyonland NP
Capitol Reef NP
Bryce Canyon NP
Cedar's Break
North Rim Grand Canyon
Zion NP
Hoover Dam
Las Vegas
Death Valley
LA/San Diego

We been to all listed, just not on same trip.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.