Portland in February

1,520 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ColoradoMooseHerd
reddog90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife and I will be in Portland for a long weekend in February. Any recommendations on things to do or see? We love hiking, wine, and I'd like to stop in the Filson store. Should we expect it to be cold and raining the whole time? Thanks.
Greener Acres
Check This site out for great hiking opportunities nearby.

https://gorgefriends.org/

Brings a raincoat (and rainpants) if it's supposed to be wet as it appears that doesn't keep people off the trails.

If you're staying in Portland it will be an easy drive to the wineries and you can go see the Spruce Goose at the Evergreen Aviation museum in McMinnville.

If you aren't committed to Portland, check out the Skamania Losge. It's east of town and in a beautiful setting in Washington state just north of the river. Convenient to hiking and somewhat close to the Washington state wine region.
AggieRob93
AG
As to your question on weather, yes, cold and likely rainy, though the rain there is usually not to Texas standards. What they call rain I liken more to a heavy mist or a very light rain, but be prepared for it to be like that all day.
reddog90
AG
Sounds great. Are most hiking trails open or closed that time of year? Maybe we will just do some shopping and a wine tour.
Greener Acres
From the folks I spoke with, the trails are open if you can get to them. AggieRob93 is correct that their rain is more of a mist than a storm and in the cover of the trails you feel it even less. I don't know about snow/ice issues that might interfere though.
AggieRob93
AG
I think most trails should be open, with exception to those on/near Mt. Hood, St. Helens, or Mt. Adams. Ice and snow usually not an issue for more than a day or three after a storm at the lower elevations. Will likely be pretty chilly, but with all of the weather coming off of the Pacific, it is rather temperate. Cold blasts out of Canada don't last in the western parts of Oregon or Washington like they do in the eastern parts of those states, or places like Idaho/Montana/Wyoming, etc.
Thunder18
AG
I just got back from a bachelor party in Portland last weekend. There's brewpubs (and dispensaries) all over the place, but beyond that I can't offer any good recommendations other than expect it to ne cold and wet
reddog90
AG
Coming up on our trip. Any recommendations on what area of town to stay in? Thanks.
Greener Acres
I've gone back and forth on this over a few trips and prefer downtown. You can still access the hiking to the east, wine to the west and then you have all the great dining and bars downtown at night. This is unlike Texas where nature is so far from the cities. You can be out of town all day and reasonably make it back in, clean up and get dinner.

There are a ton of hotels downtown, and if you look generally north of Main street, between the freeway and the river, you'll find great options with good access to restaurants in reasonable walking distance. The further north you get in that area, the closer you get to the nightlife. The southern portion is more daytime business oriented.
gomerschlep
AG
I was there last February for a week. The weather was actually pretty nice, only had one day of rain, however my friend who is a local said that was atypical
reddog90
AG
Thanks for the recommendations. Our flights are booked and I think we will get a room at the Hampton Inn downtown. It looks walkable to retail and dining and isn't too expensive. We'll shop the afternoon of our arrival, try to get in some hiking one day, and probably do a wine shuttle the other day.

It looks like a lot of the Gorge trails are closed from recent fires. Should we look more in Mt. Hood national forest for hiking?
ColoradoMooseHerd
Quote:

It looks like a lot of the Gorge trails are closed from recent fires. Should we look more in Mt. Hood national forest for hiking?
Mt. Hood Trails will be under snow. Need to look towards the coast or lower elevation areas if you want to hike.
reddog90
AG
Thanks.

We decided last night that we are not going to bring hiking gear, we just want to drink wine and try to see the coast line. Any recommendations on places to drive to on the coast?
ColoradoMooseHerd
From Portland Seaside, Cannon Beach and Astoria are all close together and easy drive. I prefer Newport, I like the beaches, light houses and harbor more. Rogue brewery and Moe's (Clam chowder) are both right on the harbor.

There is some easy hiking right by Beverly Beach right outside Newport too.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.