Hawaii In November - No AC?

1,295 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bonfarr
bonfarr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are booking a trip to HI for next November and are finding it difficult to find condos with ACs. Most of the offerings say you can make do with a ceiling fan and screen doors. Anyone that has been to Hawaii have info they can share? Will.it really be cool enough without AC? Average temps there in November are highs of mid 80s to lows of high 60s.

I can probably hang but even a touch of humidity in the house makes my wife cranky.
BrazosBendHorn
The wife and I spent 2 weeks on the North Shore back in December 2014 (we were there for Pipeline and Vans Triple Crown and all that). We did fine with no A/C. (But we live in Brazoria County, 15 miles from the coast and are used to brutal summers with high humidity. Compared to that, the climate in Oahu in December was heavenly. A lot depends on what you're acclimated to and whether you're used to being outside in hot, humid conditions.)
No Bat Soup For You
AG
We stayed in St John in the Caribbean in a place without AC in similar temperatures in June. Maybe even a little higher night temps and my wife was 6 months pregnant.

The first night took some getting used to but by the second or third night we didn't care.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
We stayed in the BVIs in July, highs in the 80s low at 70 and it took a night to acclimate but it was fine
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
If you would not describe your wife as easy going, I might look for an AC
ktownag08
AG
Lived in Hawaii for 4 years and only used AC on a few summer days. Otherwise, keep your windows open, fans going, and enjoy it! What matters most is cross flow.

Damn I miss it there.
aggiedata
AG
If you are used to AC, you will miss it at night unless you at a higher elevation.

That my experience, coming from a guy that lives in Houston.
aggiedata
AG
Here's our go to condo location.

Maui Kapalua Golf Villas. Most have AC. Nice complex, good value.

https://www.vrbo.com/903347ha
Texas Ag Mom
I will not go to the beach & stay anywhere w/out AC. After being outside all day I need to be able to shower & relax in the evenings. Having said that it can be a challenge to find condo rentals in Maui w/AC. We have stayed at 2 different properties (both were ocean front) just north of black rock. Can't recall the names right now but we rented from vrbo. We have also stayed at multiple hotels on Kaanapoli Beach but we prefer condos.
nosoupforyou
AG
ktownag08 said:

Lived in Hawaii for 4 years and only used AC on a few summer days. Otherwise, keep your windows open, fans going, and enjoy it! What matters most is cross flow.

Damn I miss it there.
this

as long as you have fans to circulate air, it's cool enough in the evenings that you won't need AC

we stayed on Big Island for 10 days and absolutely loved it
bonfarr
AG
Thanks for the tips, we decided not to risk being uncomfortable and booked a place with AC. Not directly facing the beach but 1 street over and an easy walk.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.