Tuscany? What to do? Where to stay?

1,700 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by HHAG
K_P
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am going to be in Tuscany late November. The wife and I are taking a trip to Europe and have carved out a weekend to visit my sister who is studying abroad in Germany.

We were thinking that my sister is seeing a lot of cities, and that she'd appreciate some relaxed time in the countryside. She agrees and so Tuscany seemed like the logical choice.

-- Should we be looking elsewhere? --

Assuming Tuscany, where to stay? We all enjoy wine and relaxing. Thinking about Chianti.

-- Recommended places to stay?
-- Recommended winereies to visit? Guided tours?
-- other activities and thoughts?

Gig 'em!
BSD
AG
I did not enjoy Chianti from a wine tasting perspective. I had a much better time tasting in the Montalcino and Montepulciano areas, where tasting were easier to schedule. It's not like napa where you can just pop in and taste. Montalcino makes the great Brunello wines and the town had some good wine bars. Montepulciano makes Nobile and is an interesting town with cool catacombs. All that said, it's all Sangiovese grapes (even Chianti), just different terroir and methodologies in wine making, but it was easier to taste in the areas I mentioned.

As far as accommodations, look into agritourismo, where you stay on a farm. I loved being in the Tuscan countryside and just driving from town to town on day trips. there are many options out there.

Day trips to Siena and San Giminiano (try their white wine while sitting under the towers) were great. We did a hot air balloon ride over Tuscany too. I want to go back and do cooking classes.
K_P
AG
Thanks, that's helpful.

So, the main knock on chianti was tasting scheduling? Or did you not enjoy the wine? Something I missed?

I was looking into Montepulciano, I'll also look into Montalcino. Looking to have a home base, so of the two sounds like you recommend Montalcino area? I'll look into the agritourism. I think that could be really cool.

Sounds like it's not much like American wine tasting? Any need to even go to the vineyard/winery?

I looking into cooking classes - would you recommend that or a food tour? It's like learn to cook one thing vs taste lots of stuff?

Thanks again
aggie93
AG
I would STRONGLY recommend this B&B if you do go to the Chianti region Borgo Argenina. They offer cooking classes and the owner is a tremendous help with recommendations on wineries, restaurants, and things to do. Sent us to many places we never would have thought of and they were amazing. Gorgeous place and super relaxing.
TheClaw07
AG
Went to Tuscany this summer and stayed in Trevi as a home base. Traveled to multiple towns throughout the region. I would recommend Spello and going to Enoteca Properzio. They have great food and unbelievable wines. It's a family run place where the dad and his daughter are both sommeliers. Really cool place and experience.
JT88
AG
The countryside as a home base with a rental car and the ability to "hub and spoke" to multiple day trips is an AMAZING way to visit Tuscany.

We stayed here:
LaCasalta

Francesca was great.
Day trips included Montalcino and Montepulcano.
Siena (twice) (watch the opening sequence of Quantum of Solace).
Assisi

Josey Wales: Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb mad dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is.
cadetjay02
AG
We rented a car and stayed at a agriturismo near Montepulciano. Amazing in all aspects!

Montepulciano is really cool. Siena is a must and Volterra is good a half day. Watch the Rick Steves video.

Take the train down to Orvieto or up to Florence for another day trip.

HHAG
AG
We stayed at an agrotourismo called Casanova di Pescille in San Gimignano on one trip. It was well located and great wine tasting was just a short drive away. Nice pool, great restaurant and lots and lots of wine. Out of the city center and very quiet.

Watch out for speed cameras...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.