Rec for where to stay in Maui?

2,766 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dcAg
09Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am planning a trip to Maui in mid November for a week with my gf. Neither of us has even been, so we were wondering where would be the best place to stay. Specifically, what geographic area should we be looking, and should we go hotel vs VRBO? We will probably drive around and take a lot of day trips, but it would also be nice to walk out of the room onto a nice beach. Our overall budget for the entire trip is around 5-6k. Thanks!
Random Ag
AG
Stayed here a couple of years ago, Unit 504. I liked the area because everything on the island was doable for a day trip (including Road to Hana). Liked having a kitchen and Kihei has some good (more local) restaurants: http://www.rosiesrentals.com/kihei_surfside_units_listing.php
chuckenvy
Westin Kaanapali.
TexasAggieJTL
AG
Honua Kai
09Ag
AG
We ended up going with the Westin. Looking forward to it! Also have reservations for Old Lahaina Luau, Mamas Fish House and Merrimens.
Killin Me Smalls
AG
Star Noodle is also very good.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
beachfront71
AG

Stay at the Andaz.

New, Nice and good for couples, also walkable to other resorts.

You can usually get 3/4/5th night free and breakfast included w/ Amex. Make sure you get the Bfast included as it is expensive but worth every penny.

This is my favorite place in Maui now and are also heading back next month.
oldschool87
AG
Hanua Kai!!!!

Anywhere on NW side, kannapali side.
cpatin
AG
SheriffBarclay said:

Western side is more night life, southern/Wailea is more secluded. Both are 10 minutes from each other.

Just in case this changes any of your plans, West side and Wailea are about 45 minutes apart
aggiedata
AG
09Ag said:

We ended up going with the Westin. Looking forward to it! Also have reservations for Old Lahaina Luau, Mamas Fish House and Merrimens.
Old Lahaina Luau is the best Luau. Great sunset there. I saw the green flash from there, perfect place for it.

Merrimans is my favorite place of all time I think.

I have never wanted to drive over to Mamas once I'm staying in the Kapalua area. I'm pretty open to prices being high there, but their prices on fish seem just too crazy. I know it's good, I have heard. I would rather go to Merriman's twice

Hidden gem: The Gazebo for breakfast. I took us a few times to find this place. My gosh it's good. From the omelets to the fried rice. Something about eating outside with the breezes.

https://www.mauihawaii.org/restaurants/gazebo/
TXTransplant
Stayed at The a Grand Wailea this past summer. The rooms were great and the resort is beautiful, but it was huge and very crowded. That spa though...highly recommend a day-trip visit (if you or any of your traveling companions are into that sort of thing). It's supposed to be one of the best spas in the world, and it definitely lives up to that title.
putu
AG
I second Andaz.
lazuras_dc
AG
IIRC grand wailea had the nicest beach I'd seen in Hawaii.

Also must get a Hula Pie at Kimos in Lahaina
pops2215
Get a condo with an ocean view on VRBO or AIRBNB anywhere on the west side that looks nice. Don't overpay to stay in a typical resort hotel, Hawaii is not the place for that. That money is better spent on food, activities, and/or seeing Kauai. Its always nice to be close to Gazebo restaurant so you don't have to drive far to the best breakfast joint on the island.
Texan_Aggie
AG
Cheeseburger in Paradise in Lahaina.
dcAg
Kaanapali is overall the most central location so good job on that.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.