Anniversay Year

1,508 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by HECUBUS
Highway6
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We got married in college and will celebrate out 40th this year. It's also one of those big birthdays for one of us. We debated taking a big trip, but just couldn't work up the excitement. Instead, we've settled on a plan to take a long weekend trip each month during the year. He wants to go to a Cubs game at Wrigley. I want to go to Yellowstone. We both would like a fishing trip to Alaska. Looking for suggestions. We don't mind driving. Don't mind flying. Would like to go places we've never been. Is it possible to see Yellowstone in 3 nights, 4 days? We can go in Sept or May before the summer crowd hits. Any suggestions? Someplace in the States, most likely.One needs to be a golfing outing. He's played Pebble Beach twice so I think he should go somewhere different. Don't have a contact at Augusta or that would be his first choice. Seeing the Grand Canyon would be cool. I'm on the wait list for the Texas Music Festival in Steamboat in January. We don't ski but he looooooves the music.

Any advice much appreciated...especially about Yellowstone. That's what I'm planning first.

Help me plan my Anniversary Year and spend the money I'd saved for my daughter's wedding. Snooze, you lose.He should have put a ring on it. I'm ready to party now.
CanyonAg77
AG
Sounds like fun. We did an epic road trip including Yellowstone a few years ago. It starts to be a beat down at our age. From Ft. Worth, I'd probably fly to Salt Lake City or someplace and rent a car.

We only had two days, and were only able to bounce across a few of the highlights. And the east side of the park was closed. I think you can get a good feel for the park in four days. But I think you could spend two weeks and not see it all.

We were there the week before Memorial Day, and the crowds weren't bad. But the crowds were definitely increasing.

There's a fair amount of walking, so it helps to be in good shape. If you want to see some of my photos from the trip, here's the thread:

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2314784
Random Ag
AG
You cannot do any justice to Yellowstone in 3 or 4 days. Save that for a longer trip!
CanyonAg77
AG
Random Ag said:

You cannot do any justice to Yellowstone in 3 or 4 days. Save that for a longer trip!

Agree, but 3 or 4 days >>>>>>>>>>>> never
Highway6
AG
See, that's the problem. It's been on my list for years, but for one reason or another the long trip there has never happened. I think seeing part of it will better than nothing.

Thanks for the tips!
Chappy
AG
I did a 2 day visit in Yellowstone (a brief stop on my way to Seattle). It was all the time I could do on that trip. I'd like to go back at some point for a longer stay, but I'm still glad I went and it was worth it.

Go for a short trip now, and experience what you can. It might "check the box" of the Yellowstone experience for you, or having that small taste might be the motivation to go for a longer trip in the future.
Lavender Gooms
AG
Yep, while you could spend weeks or more exploring Yellowstone, I think 3-4 days is still enough to have a great time. My wife, 4 year old daughter, and I spent 3 days and change there this past May/June.

Here's the trip report I put together on it (plus 2 other parks, Yellowstone is at the end).

https://texags.com/forums/54/topics/2865126

There's a few others floating around the Travel board that have really good info on Yellowstone.
dcAg
Mt. Rushmore
Key West
New Orleans
Peter Luger in NYC for dinner
A drive down the PCH
See a concert at Red Rocks in Colorado
Go to Fenway Park
Go to the Kentucky Derby
Indy 500
Spore Ag
Did Yellowstone in January to watch the wolves and loved it. Entered from the south on half tracts due to snow levels.
HECUBUS
AG

Did Montana/Wyoming in two weeks. Glacier NP was the highlight, but the Gallatin, Yellowstone Big Sky and even Kallispel, were all great. Those are a couple of photos from Yellowstone and the kids fishing the Gallatin. My wife can plan the best two week+ road trips.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.