Too Young to ski?

2,658 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by HECUBUS
Big12Champ06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thinking of a family getaway this winter. Kids will just be turning 2 and 4. Is this too young to take them skiing? Husband and I never skied as kids and we're still not very good.
Fairview
AG
I think 3 is usually the youngest ski school does. They also have a kids center with activities you can drop them off at while you ski.

Edit to add - if you aren't that great I wouldn't try to take them with you skiing. Not that you couldn't watch them but other people could nail them. The four year old in beginner ski school would be with kids their age and in protected areas just using the magic carpet and not lifts.
Post removed:
by user
BQ2001
AG
My daughter is 3.5 and I'll be taking her up with me this year and doing lessons. I talked to a couple instructors last year and the big thing is can they listen and follow directions. If they do a daycare or school thing they wil likely do better.
Matsui
AG
2 is too young
HHAG
AG
Two is too young. My son started at four and picked it up instantly.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Can't wait to start my to be 3.5 year old this winter. Already got our Epic Passes and bought him a starter helmet and set of goggles.
BQ2001
AG
Are you teaching yourself or doing a lesson? We have Epic passes as well but I don't think I have the patience to do it myself. Maybe after a few trips I'd take my daughter with me on some greens.
HECUBUS
AG
Started both at 3, neither spent a minute in ski school, both are great skiers. I guess we were okay teachers.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
I guess it depends on the Childs coordination and independence, but 2 is most likely too young. 4 probably isn't bad. It's definitely good to get them started at a young age like that, anywhere you go you always see those fearless 6 year olds flying past older kids/teenagers/college kids.
HECUBUS
AG
Secret weapon

HECUBUS
AG
Oldest helping youngest first time three year old sister.... Probably Red River. She just stood up and skied on her first try. We took the Edgie Wedgies off both kids on their second trip.

bam02
AG
Agree with most that 2 is too young. There are kids that ski before they walk but they're the exception and usually grow up at a ski resort.

I think most ski schools will require them to be potty trained, too.
Pahdz
If you want to have fun skiing, for God's sake don't try and teach them yourself.

Our daughter loved skiing but hated the little kid ski school as a fresh 5 year old. Said riding the carpet over and over was excruciating boredom. If you can afford it do a private lesson.
The Lost
mainly teach them to be aware of their surroundings. the worst part about kids on the slopes they just stop randomly and are not on predictable paths/old man rant
bayouaggie
AG
We put our kids in ski school two years ago for the first time when they were 3.5 and 4.5 years old. 4.5 year old did great for her first time to even see snow, but 3.5 year old struggled. She is small and I think her legs were just worn out after a couple of hours. Went back this year and huge jump in just over a year time. The now 5.5 year old was going up the mountain with me and doing greens after two days in ski school. The now 4.5 year old also did much better since she was bigger and stronger. I'm really excited for this year as they both should be on the slopes with us after a day or so refresh in ski school.

So I think it just depends on how strong and coordinated your 4-year old is - could pick it up right away or might struggle for a few days. Take the 2 year old on rides up the gondola and go tubing/sledding down a hill. At that age, they love just playing in the snow.
Big12Champ06
We're definitely not good enough to teach them ourselves! I appreciate all the help!
Jock 07
AG
The Lost said:

mainly teach them to be aware of their surroundings. the worst part about kids on the slopes they just stop randomly and are not on predictable paths/old man rant
sounds a lot like snowboarders
10andBOUNCE
AG
amen!
10andBOUNCE
AG
Any other tips or tricks? Not familiar with the tool you posted a picture of?
Skitch05
AG
Those are edgie wedgies. They just attach to the tips of the skis to keep them from separating too much and help create a wedge. This helps the kid keep their speed in check and maintain better control. You can see them attached in the second picture they posted.

If you plan on skiing with your kid without putting them through many lessons, they are definitely helpful. They are sort of like training wheels for skis.
Fairview
AG
For the little ones the vests with the handles on the back (for you to grab) like the ski school uses can be helpful too.
Premium
AG
Jock 07 said:

The Lost said:

sounds a lot like snowboarders

This is me. But I'll tell you, it isn't random... it's when I do a sideways falling helicopter or a belly flop (yeah, hurts way worse than water). And I do know I'm in your way, but you're on skiis so it should be very easy to go around me.
HECUBUS
AG
A magic carpet is nice for their first time. We learned about the Edgie Wedgies from the steamboat kiddie ski school on the oldest's first trip. We coached their baseball and softball teams too. You don't get a lot of time with them before they grow up. Teaching the kids is way up there, the best of many great times.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Thanks! I've started an Amazon cart with all these gadgets. I've heard mixed results on the training devices like the Co Pilot that attaches at the boot vs harness with elastic straps around the torso. First glance I like some of the harnesses that allow a handle on their back for me to quickly grab and course correct - moreso coming off lifts and just getting around. Also the idea of elastic straps seems smart so there isn't instant and harsh pulling if needed.

End of the day the main goal is safety and fun. I wouldn't be opposed to some of the 4-6 week class sessions next year if all goes well this season.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Wait until they're both 3 years old and potty trained.
Then take them to Keystone or Breckenridge and enrol them in 3 days worth of ski school. Do this two years in a row and then they can ski with you, no problem. It's pricey but, at least by then, your kids will know a good bit about skiing and safety.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of young kids who do things that aren't safe and pay the price.
ChoppinDs40
AG
My brothers and I were skiing at 2. Dad tied a rope around our waist and away we went. Rope helped him steer us and slow us down if needed.

Little brother was snowboarding at 4. Go in the spring when it's warmer. Being cold sucks - especially if you're a little kid.
HECUBUS
AG
Good point, we still Spring ski with the kids at 11 and 16 now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.