Traveling Budapest / Krakow / Prague / Vienna

1,549 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by mike073
FCBlitz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So far this is what we have scheduled.
3 days in each city in the order as listed on topic
AirBnB reserved in each city
Tour of Parliment in Budapest
Private Sleeper Car Budapest to Krakow
Day tour at Auswitz (group of 10 private tour)
Private Sleeper Car Krakow to Prague

Any suggestions of things to do, places to go and my favorite favorite eateries in each of those cities?
FriendlyAg
Make sure to hike gallert hill in Budapest for unbelievable views, fascinating to think that the castle at the top was used as a fortress by the Nazis in WW2. I enjoyed the museum of terror a lot as it is where the SS were HQ'd during WW2 and then the USSR secret police during their USSR occupation. There are bullet holes all over that building.

If you're into drinking beers, make sure to go to some
Of the ruin bars as they are pretty unique. Also, HIGHLY recommend eating a sandwhich at BORS sandwhich shop in the Jewish district. My
Mouth still waters at the thought of that place. Very unique high end sandwhiches at backpacker prices. There is no seating so get your sandwhich and walk those small streets in the Jewish quarter.

serbtex
Growing up in Serbia we would travel frequently to Budapest. I agree with the hill, it is an amazing view and historically relevant. Also I highly recommend a visit to the House of Terror while in Budapest. It is one of the better WWII museums in the region. Also nearby are some of the city's oldest metro stations and while they are not ornate as in Moscow it is really cool to see them as well. I also love walking along the river in the evenings as well as visiting the Cave Church on Gelert Hill.

Try and get an "apple beer" in Vienna along with some music.

Had my wallet stolen in Poland as a kid so not the biggest fan....etc.,

Traveling by rail is the way to go!
serbtex
And Prague speaks for itself! My wife and I love this little candy shop in the main square where you can watch them make candies by hand!
dcAg
There is an old bar/restaurant in Prague called U Flecku. Worth checking out.
Bob_Ag
AG
Sitting in a hotel in Vienna as we speak. Haven't gotten to do much since I am working and the weather has been crappy, but the city is one the most beautiful I have seen. Cathedrals are always awesome to visit and compare to the other ones Iin Europe, so check out St. Stephens. Also you can take a walk down ringstrasse where there is plenty of awesome architecture and sights like the opera, imperial palace, parliament, city hall, etc.

I recommend getting some Viennese style schnitzel as well. It's typically made with veal instead of pork. Quite good.
GigEmAgs15
AG
Schonbrunn Palace is magnificent. I enjoyed it more than Versailles.
FCBlitz
I bought the United tickets with mileage. At least all of my time spent flying Vietnam benefit my lovely wife. We flew United to Chicago and Austrian Air from Chicago Directly to Vienna. Lucky us because the airplane food for coach sucks on United. United for me is the worst airlines for food.

Day one: took a cab from Airport to Hotel Schani. The hotel is nice and very close to the train terminal for our first leg at Budapest. Because we got to Hotel at 10:00am Hotel had lockers so stored our gear and headed to St Stephens and to get a first look at what we want to do when we return here in 10 days. Loving it so for. For food the Black Camel or Tretzkisky or a Green Dragon Pub.
Once 15:00 hours rolled around we went back to hotel, checked in, showered and relax. Have to wear compression socks to keep lower leg from swelling.

Day 2: The train ride from Vienna to Budapest went smoothly. Got to our AirBnB flat right on the by the chain bridge and it is very nice. Today we walked up Castle Hill and had dinner at 21 Magyar. Great day

Day 3: Toured the parliment, the great synagogue, Liberty Park, the great market(really cool), St Stistavan, ate strudel, logged another 15 miles

Day 4: Went to Heros Square, City Park, the Bathhouse, saw statues of Ronald Reagan and George Washington at city park. Toured the Bajdahunyad Castle and then finally house of terror. Thought it was going to more about Nazi's but it was more about Stalin . Staling was a brutal dude.

Day 5: Arrived at Krakow at 8am. Put backpacks up in lockers until the AirBnB opens at 12:00 noon. Checked into AirBnB. Super nice but it is up on third floor and there is no elevator.

Day 6: All day trip to Auschwitz. This will be something to see in person.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Go to plachutta in Vienna and get taffelspitz. Taffelspitz is austria's national dish and it is fkin awesome.
mike073
AG
Do not miss the Salt Mine while in Krakow.
Gig 'em Aggies!

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.