Cross Country move

1,025 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by average_joker
histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dont really have any questions, but rather just anxiety.

Leaving tomorrow morning (hopefully between 3 and 4 am) for our cross country move of roughly 1500 miles. We have 2 large dogs and a 2 year old (dogs and husband in one car, me and 2 year old in the other).

sympathy for my mental health would be appreciated
TXTransplant
When I moved to TX from north Alabama (just over 900 miles), it was me, my five year old son, and two cats. We didn't leave AL until something like 4 or 5 pm because the movers took all day to load the truck. Stopped with family on the MS Gulf Coast, then drove to family in Clear Lake the next day, then went to College Station the morning after that (timing was to meet the movers).

My biggest fear was being on I-10 over the Atchafalaya and having my son saying he had to go to the bathroom (he had a reputation for selecting really inappropriate times to have a potty emergency).

You definitely have my sympathy!
Ornlu
AG
Text me when you get here and I'll bring ya'll some dinner.
PlanoAg98
AG
I've done this 4 times. I hope you had someone pack everything and move it for you.
Matsui
AG
Just try to relax and enjoy the experience. Moved from Texas to Cali with a basset hound in my car. !
Aggie_Eric98
AG
We just did this in January, but our trip was only 800 miles, Georgia to Texas. Luckily it was a relo through my company so we were allowed to break up the drive into 2 days and they covered hotel, food, mileage etc.

We had 3 kids 7,4,1 and a dog in 2 cars. The two older kids had a portable dvd player and lots of coloring books and the infant had nursery rhymes playing until he feel asleep.

We tried to stop at Chic-Fil-A's as much as possible as the playground gave te kids a chance to burn off some energy and the hotel we stayed in had an indoor pool and hot tub which they loved.

As for me, I downloaded all of Dan Carlin's Blueprint for Armageddon (1-6) pod casts and knocked out the whole series during the 11-12 hours of driving.
histag10
AG
The move was horrible. About 4am in South Dakota, someone in the middle of the road frantically waving. Teenager out joyriding high centered his car in a field on the reservation 30 miles from any town. We can't help him out, but wait until someone else gets there (setback 1)

Driving through Nebraska, blow a tire on the boat trailer on interstate, don't have a spare. Luckily only 3 miles from a town. Get spare, start changing tire. Break 2 jacks. Have no more jacks. Cannot get someone to stop and help. Call PD to ask if they could come help. They said no, leos cannot assist. 4 hours later, someone finally stops and helps. Set back 2.

Driving through Kansas, get pulled over on interstate for boat trailer light being out. The tire broke it, we put a flasher on it. Cop says flasher is not legal. Must pull over and get new light or rewire boat. 2 hours later, done. Set back 3.

It is now 1am on Monday morning, I cannot see straight anymore. Me and kiddo stop in Perry, OK, husband drives on, as he has to be at work at 8 am.

Fort Worth traffic sucked, but we finally made it, and are getting settled in.

We packed and loaded our own stuff, but had someone else move it. Saved us a ton of money.

Next move is hopefully in a year or 2 when we buy in the area, and it's a slow move across town. I think I'm done with long moves.

Oh, and the kiddo handled it like a champ with minimal meltdowns
average_joker
AG
My sympathies. We are looking at western Virginia to Philly in the spring and Philly to Fort Worth about two years after that. Moving is such a pain it's effected the furnature we buy. (Size and weight and expense, because nothing emerges from a move unscathed)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.