DC for a Day

656 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Always_Right
SkiMo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You have one day in DC. What do you do? Never been and want to make the most of it. Flying out on a red eye tonight and will be there tomorrow morning.

Was thinking of doing the typical loop around from Lincoln Memorial, Capitol, White House, Washington Monument and hitting up a Smithsonian. Basically I want to see a little of a lot with the intentions of returning for a long weekend to explore much more.

Side question: Can you buy day passes for the rail line?
AgFan1999
AG
If you've got a day, you could spend either an hour at 2-3 Smithsonian museums, or select one and stay a few hours. You probably won't be able to go to the top of the Washington Monument (you either have to get there at 6:30 am to get a ticket or reserve one online in advance. I'd try to visit the Capitol, the Lincoln Memorial, possibly, the Jefferson memorial as well.

Side Answer - Yes, you can buy a day pass on the Metro.
Jock 07
AG
thought the monument has been closed since the earthquake? Recommend you check in with your congressional representative offices to see if they have any guided tour availability for the capital.
AgFan1999
AG
It was open when I was there last summer in June. Checked the website - it closed in August of last year and it appears that due to the need to modernize the elevators, it will be closed until early 2019.
SquirrellyDan
AG
If it were me, I'd pass on the memorials and just hit up some of the Smithsonians. If you have a particular interest in History, Flight, Art, etc., plan on spending at least half the day in one of the relevant museums.

GigEmAgs15
AG
Definitely don't want to miss seeing the Constitution and Declaration of Independence at the National Archives. They have some good exhibits, but popping in to see these in person is well worth a trip to that side of the Mall.
HECUBUS
AG

Always_Right
AG
Did this a few months ago, basically just walked the Washington Mall, started at the Supreme Court and worked our way to Arlington Cemetery. Lots of walking and it was really hot that day but very enjoyable.
All my hope is in Jesus, thank God my yesterday's gone.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.