Park City, Utah

974 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by texas_ute
HockeyAg07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any recs on low-key things to do? The wife, our 2.5yo and I are spending the week there next week for our anniversary. We have never been there and just chose it to try something new. We will have a hiking backpack for the kiddo, and are looking for some good hikes in the 3-4 mile range, tops. Anything much longer than that and the kiddo gets sick of being strapped to my back.

We will probably take a gondola up to the top of a ski mountain for a day since they are close and easy. Any one bette than the others?

Thanks for any input you can give us. It's supposed to be below freezing there a couple of nights next week, and well, that alone will be worth the trip.
CoolaidWade
AG
I have never been there but just bought the Vail epic pass so I'm sure I'll be there several times this season. Delta flies nonstop to SLC. Can fly out in the morning and be back before midnight.

Will be watching thread.
SkiMo
AG
Live in SLC here...

I assume you guys are renting a car?

If so:

1) The tram up to the top of Snowbird is really cool and is a Utah staple. It's in Little Cottonwood Canyon which is a beautiful drive...so is Big Cottonwood. But it's a good 1 hour drive from Park City.

2) You can always hike the mountain bike trails at Park City/Canyons. Easy access and quick return to the car if your little one gets pissed at life.

3) About an hour + drive into the Uintah mountains (HWY 150 thru Kamas) to Mirror Lake will get you some pretty spectacular views. On the road just around the lake after you take a big right around Pass Lake there will be a trialhead entrance on the left called Pass Lake Trailhead. You can park in there and choose either the right or left trail entrance. It's a loop thus the reason it's called Lofty Lake Loop Trail. It's about a 4 mile hike with about 1,000 ft of elevation gain...so, it's pretty easy.
Words of advice:
- It might be cold and rainy so prepare.
- There may not be many people there so be prepared for that. Some people get freaked out by complete solitude.
- Might wanna bring bug spray...lots of mosquitos.
- Cell service is spotty at best. Prepare your trip as to not depend on the google when you get there.
- Lastly but very importantly, bring a 5 and 5 ones so you can pay the park fee. Make sure you stop on the side of the road as you enter into the national forest...you will see it on the right not long after you pass thru Kamas. If you forget, there is a booth at Mirror Lake but there aren't many up in the Uintahs so it's best just to get it and have free range all day wherever you want to stop and park.

4) Download the AllTrails app to your phone and it will give you descriptions/directions/reviews of trails according to your current location. Very handy and good app for finding hiking trails and what not and what have you.

Weather is finally changing here. It's been hot as balls but will definitely but cold on your trip. Maybe even some snow. You can always make the trip down to SLC to lower elevation for hikes in the Wasatch Range. Any questions, shoot me a message.

Have fun!
HockeyAg07
AG
Thanks SkiMo. Yes we will have a car, and that'll likely give the kiddo most of her naps as we move from trail to trail. Thanks for the info. I will download that app for sure, and I will likely take my handheld Harmon too, so we shouldn't get lost.

The forecast looks a bit chilly and wet, but it at least looks like it'll be mostly just some passing showers and snow. That likely won't slow us down at all. The thought of having my testicles ascend for the first time in 4 months is quite pleasant.

Kyle98
AG
Jumping in on this as we just booked a 5 night stay in Park City with our RCI points right before Christmas. I know it depends on the year, but in general, what's the snow like mid-to-late-December?
Post removed:
by user
texas_ute
AG
It is definitely off-season in Park City right now.

Unfortunately if you are traveling now/soon, there is a storm about to come through with a fair about of rain/snow.

The Park City Mountain Resort may still be running some of their "summer" activities (lift served hiking/mountain biking, alpine slide, etc.). Whichever hotel you are staying in should be able to give you information about the hours for that.

The Canyons base of the Park City resort has a gondola which would be nice for the cooler weather.

Snowbird (on the other side of the pass) is still running their Oktoberfest on weekends which is a lot of fun (live music, food/beer, rides, etc.).

I recommend the High West Distillery restaurant in Park City. Good food, great mixed drinks with their own vodka/bourbon. It is typically noisy so it is actually a great place for a baby/toddler!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.