Tallin

863 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 90 bull
90 bull
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
After going through Vilnius and Riga, I'm about to get to Tallin. Going to be here for 48 hours. Other than Old Town, any suggestions?
hds
AG
Old Town is a good option but about a day is all you need.

Ferry to Helsinki for the day?
May_May
Agree with hds. Take the ferry over to Helsinki for the day and check out the Loyly sauna.
90 bull
AG
Going to Helsinki Monday via ferry. So old town it is for today.
helloag99
Check out this place in old town

http://www.texas.ee/

It was a welcome site after being away from home (Texas) for a week.

I thought upper old town was very unique from other places I has been in Europe, basically medieval, which I hadn't experienced. Lower old town was meh, typical Europe.

CDub06
AG
We did Tallinn & Helsinki a couple of months ago. People kept saying that a day was all you needed in Tallinn, but we enjoyed three days there and did not run out of stuff to do. Helsinki on the other hand we did in a day.

It was great to be able to eat at some of the nicest places in town for less than we were spending on lunch in Denmark and Norway. Most of what we did was just walking around and looking. It really is a unique city.

The obvious sights: Walk through Old Town of course, St Catherine's passage and all that. The Town Square is a great spot for photos. There are the viewpoints up on Toompea Hill along with the churches (Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, St. Mary's Cathedral). Walk along the town walls - and it's worth paying the entrance fee to actually scale the walls. There are multiple access points like Hellemann Tower.

Kiek in de Kk has a hilarious name, but was a great stop and offered some good photos from the upper levels. The Bastion Tunnel Tour from Kiek in de Kok was very interesting.

St. Olaf's church is worth seeing simply because of this history. It was built in 1250 and was considered the tallest building in Europe during the Middle Ages. It's still the tallest building in Estonia.

Not for a quick stop, but we also went to the beach out in Pirita, which hosted the sailing portion of the olympics when the Soviet Union hosted. The Pirita Convent ruins were very picturesque.

Nearby is Kadriorg Palace and Park. The park is beautiful, but unfortunately it was raining. The Palace is nice and serves as an art museum - a very small one - it was fine. The Kumu was more impressive and held quite a wealth of Estonian art - it was interesting to see the evolution of art through the Soviet times.

The bus system is super easy. We did not make it to the KGB museum, but I heard good things.

Estonia has some GREAT cuisine. Some dinner recommendations: Rataskaevu 16, Von Krahli Aed, Restoran Farm. And then there's Rukis for breakfast or dessert. Porgu is an outstanding beer bar.

Linda Line Express was a quick and easy way to get to Helsinki.
90 bull
AG
We spent two days in Tallinn, two in Helsinki, and are now in Dubrovnik. Tallinn was enjoyable, but it just didn't feel unique after Vilnius and Riga. Helsinki was ok, but so expensive. Really enjoying Croatia after the Baltic area.
CDub06
AG
Helsinki was a bargain after passing through the other Scandinavian countries. It's a beautiful city, but we knocked most of it out in a single day. Riga is on my to do list. Enjoy your trip!
90 bull
AG
Riga was ok. Incredible architecture, but we preferred Vilnius of the Baltic capitals. It just felt more friendly.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.