Germany during Octoberfest (Not Munich)

1,017 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ovalo
SquirrellyDan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have the good fortune of going to Germany for a business trip in late September, during the middle of Octoberfest. I'll be flying into Frankfurt and will have 3 days or so of free time. I've already been to the main Octoberfest in Munich, but does anyone have recommendations of towns/areas to visit to enjoy Octoberfest activities around Frankfurt? When I was in Munich, I had the most fun in smaller towns outside of the main fest (less of a tourist trap, less crowded, etc).

TIA!
An Ag in CO
AG
Oktoberfest is a Bavarian thing and other parts of the country celebrate other things. I've been in other parts of Germany during Oktoberfest and didn't really notice anything special. Having said that, I think Frankfurt tosses up a beer tent outside the stadium so there's that. Each region has its own festivals and it's more fun to try the local festivals than a transplanted Bavarian festival. Went to the Heinerfest in Darmstadt a few years ago and that was a blast.
dcAg
An Ag in CO is correct. Oktoberfest is Bavarian and in Munich only.

Stuttgart has a Volksfest which isn't related to Oktoberfest but is similar. It starts September 23rd and lasts for 2 weeks.
Danger Mouse
AG
Last year I had the good fortune of attending Wiesn and Volksfest. Had fun at both, but Wiesn was by far the latger festival. As stated earlier, take the two hr train ride south to Bayern and visit a smaller village.
Ovalo
AG
There is a brewery in Mainz. Think the name was Castle. They had a big tent, a polka band, and food when I was there in Sept or October. It was a small ( but nice) glimpse of Munich.
Most of the smaller towns around Frankfurt have a weekend of "Octoberfest". It's small but the beer is good and the people are very friendly. You'll have a great time at the smaller events. I'm actually envious.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.